12-Year-Old Special Education Student Charged With Disorderly Conduct for Wetting Pan

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,241579,00.html

DANVILLE, Pa. — A 12-year-old special education student was charged with disorderly conduct after authorities said she deliberately wet her pants at school.

Her mother told the Press Enterprise of Bloomsburg that the girl urinated only because she was frightened by the principal.

The girl, whose name was withheld by the newspaper, had worked with her classmates and teachers preparing a holiday lunch at Danville Middle School on Dec. 20. They ate in the library and the girl was told to go to the kitchen to wash some pots and pans, her mother said.

After she refused to leave the library, teachers summoned principal Kevin Duckwork, who confronted the girl. She then wet her pants.

Her mother said the girl is terrified by Duckwork and has wet herself during previous confrontations with him. She said her daughter has had disciplinary problems at the school but has never become violent.

Police Chief Eric Gill said school officials were at "wit's end" with the girl, and that they believe her actions were deliberate.

School Superintendent Steve Keifer would not discuss the confrontation, but said that as a general rule the police are called only after "all other alternatives are exhausted."

Police told the girl's parents they could probably avoid a fine if they agree to have the girl do community service.

so much for compasion.......

I would probably look at why the girls was afraid of the principle. Could he have done "bad things" to her in private and now she is afraid? I don't know...

I do think the charges are a little extreme.

I'm with SKS on this! First thing I thought of in fact. Sounds like an abuse situation by the principal to me too.

The schools use the police for discipline like some parents do. A sad situation. This should have been handled "in house" and with the parents.

[sad2] this is really getting out of control...

One - calling the cops instead of the parents in the first place is already over the line.

Two - The cops should have dealt with it differently as well... charging her at all is over the line as well...

This is just another example of this country circling the bowl

This is freakin ridiculous. A "special needs" kid gets charged by police with disorderly conduct because she wet her pants? This is just insanity - but you know the more we all sit here and bitch about it the more pissed off I get. I read this kind of stuff every day and wonder where it is all going to end.

This is freakin ridiculous. A "special needs" kid gets charged by police with disorderly conduct because she wet her pants? This is just insanity - but you know the more we all sit here and bitch about it the more pissed off I get. I read this kind of stuff every day and wonder where it is all going to end.

I don't think We want to Know

This is child abuse pure and simple by the school officials [angry] . They are clearly incompetent to deal with this child ("at wits end", "principal...confronted girl", "previous confrontations with him", "frightened by the principal"). She needs to be gotten out of there and either placed in a competent school, or educated at home.

They should tell the school and police to stuff it, "see you in court"!

I can just see a judge <NOT> sentencing any special needs 12 yo as "disorderly conduct" for wetting their pants! The judge should laugh the thing out of court in a heartbeat. Then the parents should sue the town for false arrest, defamation, etc.

Having had a "special needs" (mentally retarded) Sister, I can tell you that if someone terrorizes them (e.g. principal in this case) they never forget and will react emotionally when confronted with this "fearsome individual"!

If the DA/judge is stupid enough to proceed, any decent psychologist who works with special needs children ought to blow their case up with his/her testimony.

This is insane!

When I hear about stuff like this it makes me worry for my daughter with Down syndrome (like I don't already)... My wife read me this story last night and I had the same reaction as Len: "See you in court!"

Though I hope I'd have the sense to not put my daughter in a school with a pin head for a principle like that... I make it a point to know everyone in my daughters school.

Regarding SKSguns comment about the principle doing "bad things", that came to mind immediately to me. 7 out of 10 girls with mental disabilities are molested (4 out of 6 boys).

I can't find the link right now, but I read earleir on MSNBC.com that the DA had dropped all charges against the 12 YO.

Finally someone with a f***ing brain.........

[crying] My wife and I were horrified when we saw that article. These educators are teaching our next generation how to run and hide instead of tackling an issue on. I weep for The United States of the future.

Back
Top Bottom