.17HMR vs. .22LR

Shane

Banned
Which would cause a more traumatic wound?

Which is louder?

I imagine .22LR would be easier to find on the ammo shelves at the store.

Is .22LR cheaper ammo than .17hmr?

I believe that to be true, but for a more detailed and more qualified explanation I would wait for a hunter to post an opinion of fact. I only shoot paper targets.

Which would cause a more traumatic wound?

Which is louder?

I imagine .22LR would be easier to find on the ammo shelves at the store.

Is .22LR cheaper ammo than .17hmr?

1=The .17 by far.
2=The .17 is louder.
3=22lr is the most common cartridge anywhere.

The 17hmr despite its small size delivers some serious impact.

a3309532.jpg

Its also much more accurate. I can hit 17hmr shell casings at 100 yards with my Savage.
The only round I've ever seen it compared to is the .22 magnum.

Some of the .17 HMR Rifles to consider if you are in fact considering one.

Nice pictures of each if you click the link.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/17hmrrfltlst.htm

Articles Projects Commentary Book Reviews Ballistic Calculators Exterior Ballistics Twist Rate Recoil Kinetic Energy Sectional Density Sight Adjustment Primer Tables Conversion Tables Member Services Update Profile Check Email Message Boards Handload Builder Links Free RegistrationThe Gun Store Retail Sales RG Member Specials

Rifles Chambered for the Hornady .17 HMR

The Henry Repeating Arms Varmint Express Lever .17 RF, without scope, is a $450+ gun without scope. It's a very nice package at under 6 lbs, 10 shot capacity and a 20" barrel, but still a lot of money for a casual shooter rimfire rifle.

The Marlin .17V bolt action rifle has a heavy 22" barrel hardwood stock, weighs 6 lbs and had a 7 shot clip. MSRP is $269, including 1" scope mount/rings.

The Marlin 17VS is a stainless steel version of the "V" with a gray laminated stock and stainless steel scope mount/rings. MSRP is $402

New England Firearms is an incredible buy, even for a single shot rifle. At 6 lbs, with a 22" barrel, the synthetic stock NEF Sportster is a sturdy and reliable .17 HMR for $180.

Remington's Model 597LS Magnum is chambered for the .17 HMR, weighs 6 lbs, also has a 20" barrel, but is clip fed with 8 shot capacity. The Remington is a $400 rifle.

Ruger makes three models of bolt action guns: the $580 walnut stocked standard weight, a similarly priced synthetic stock version and a $645 target type, laminated stock version. The first two models have 22" barrels and weigh approximately 6 1/4 lbs. The target model has a heavy 24" barrel and weighs approximately 1/2 lb more. All use a Ruger 9 shot rotary magazine. Very nice guns, but again, a bit expensive.

Winchester is producing two .17 HMR lever guns, the Traditional at $500 and the Legacy version for about $35 more. Both guns weigh 6 lbs, have 22 1/2" barrels, and hold 11 rounds of ammo in tubular magazines.

The Winchester Model 1885 Low Wall 17 HMR single shot, MSRP $936, weighs 8 lbs with a 24" octagon barrel. While not low in cost, it is a really well made and classic looking rim fire rifle.

Volquartsen offers a semi-auto stainless gun; 8 lbs+, with 20" fluted and compensated barrel and Ruger 9 shot rotary magazines. $1,040 in brown or gray laminated stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
a guy i know nuts out gophers out west at a thousand yards w/ a spotter with his .17 savage he swears by it say it groups at less than one inch @ 300yards

Still how much of the traumatic woundings and great expansion of the .17 have to do with its high-tech bullets, vs. just its standard ballistics?

I would suspect that a standard lead-ball .17 or FMJ, would underperform most .22 LR ammo

I'd love to use .17 HMR if it were anywhere in the ballpark of the price of .22 LR, but it's practically the same price as .223 now, so I'd rather spend the money on .223. I wonder if there is any chance of it coming down in price to around .22 ammo? It's about the same size...

a guy i know nuts out gophers out west at a thousand yards w/ a spotter with his .17 savage he swears by it say it groups at less than one inch @ 300yards

yeah and i know a guy that hits mice at eleventy jillion yards with his

Last edited:

There's about 4 different .17 cal. centerfire cartridges that I know of. I'm sure he's confusing that with the .17 hmr and 17. Mach II (both rimfire).

I think TonyD is right. There a whole bunch of .17 "wildcat" centerfires based on the .17 Remington. Its an easy mistake to confuse them. I've been reading up on rifle reloading and all those calibers are mindboggling to keep straight.

I think TonyD is right. There a whole bunch of .17 "wildcat" centerfires based on the .17 Remington. Its an easy mistake to confuse them. I've been reading up on rifle reloading and all those calibers are mindboggling to keep straight.

TonyD is right???

Right how? Keeping in mind how quickly light bullets lose velocity, name me a .17 caliber cartridge that is "gopher nuts" accurate to 6/10th's of a mile?

Seriously, if you let me get 200 yards downrange and fart at 90 degrees to the bullet path, he couldn't hit my car at 1000 yards, let alone a rodent.

Also, what exactly does a "spotter" use to see .17 caliber hits at 1000 yards? An electron microscope?

If you were were on the moon, using a vise, shooting hand-made ammo, and had a bunch of practice shots, you might be able to hit a gopher sized target with the .17 of your choice at 1000 yards. But he was talking about hitting a MOVING target ON THE EARTH! WHERE WE HAVE ATMOSPHERE!!!

Whoever posted that is either lying, gullible, writes for a gun mag, or was joking. Please don't try to lend credence to it. Jesus!

Now shotgun hulls at 100 yards with a worn 60 year old handgun is a different story.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd like to see the guy with the .17 make a 100 yard hit on a shotgun shell with a revolver....then I'd be impressed *grin*

I meant that TonyD is right, if it was at all a serious statement, the person was mixing up centerfire .17 and .17hmr. .17 Remington is a real long range caliber.

Here is an article with targets and groups at 600 and 1000 yards from a .17 from a web site on small calibers only. http://www.saubier.com/smallcaliber/corbinshell.html

However, the guy in the article is a world class shooter, and I agree with you that no one is killing gophers at 1k with .17 of any sort.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd like to see the guy with the .17 make a 100 yard hit on a shotgun shell with a revolver....then I'd be impressed *grin*

That actually isn't all that hard to do. I've got a Taurus Trakker in .17HMR topped with a Leopold scope. Clay birds at 100 isn't all that hard (from a rest). Not a hit with every shot, but enough to make it fun. Shotgun shells wouldn't be easy, but not not impossible.

Same with the 1000yd shot. I'm sure it can be done, just not with any regularity or predictability. Maybe 1 hit out of 500?

C.J Atkins and I shot a 1,000 yard match together at Benning this past year with our AR's. All the match rifle guys laughed...at first. I shot a 185-3X and CJ shot a 193-6X. That's sling supported, iron sights. That's a lot smaller than your car and a tad better than 1 out of 500.

The .17 Rem. and .17-222 is a necked down .223 / .222 traveling about 6,000 fps faster. In a match grade bolt gun, good glass and solid rest it would be plausible. Prarie dog shooters use primarily the .223 or the .22-250.

The only people that can shoot gopher-sized groups at 1000 yards with a .17HMR are gun magazine writers.

As in:

"Our average off-hand 5-shot groups with the Seecamp were just under 1/2 inch at 75 yards."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom