22lr with silencer

Kalashnikov KP9, I just SBR'd one a few weeks back.
Running a Thunder Beast Fly 9 can on it and it's awesome.

Are you doing a tri lug or direct mount? I was looking at the YHM R9 since it will direct mount and it’s a great price. No frills or extra mounts included.

you could also look at a SP5. I think that might be my next 9mm sbr for the R9 i just got. I do have a Banshee mkgs sbr that is awesome with a Wolfman. I also have a scorpion sbr with a trilug and a 9k.

you could also look at a SP5. I think that might be my next 9mm sbr for the R9 i just got. I do have a Banshee mkgs sbr that is awesome with a Wolfman. I also have a scorpion sbr with a trilug and a 9k.
I’m so close to unloading a few rifles and getting into an sp5 clone. Don’t push me 😂

Any transfer from an individual requires a new tax stamp fee. Always use a trust. I made the mistake of using a single shot trust for several items. Much easier to have a a regular NFA trust with everything in it. Can amend with the stroke of a pen to add trustees. Just remember if you add a trustee then both need to be on subsequent purchases by the trust. Some people apparently add trustees and then remove all but themselves when they want to purchase a new item. That seems sketchy to me so once you get a bunch of items in a trust and want to add other trustees, can just start a new trust for the next round of purchases.

As far as wait times for cans goes - I had a 48 hour approval on a 9mm can a couple weeks ago (individual, not trust). I've seen a couple 24 hour approvals. Also Form 1 for SBRs are taking less than a week now too!

I took my rimfire can out for some fun last weekend. My experience so far is that it seems to foul my barrel faster and accuracy falls off after maybe 200-250 rounds. More importantly, my velocity went up around 30fps and my ES opened up from 'teens to about 30fps. I was still able to repeatedly hit an 8" circle off a shmedium gamechanger at 300yds when the wind was consistent.

Initial impressions...quiet, ton of fun, looks cool, probably not accurate enough for serious competition use due to the inconsistent velocities. Unsure if this happens to be my particular can or if they're all like this, but it stands to reason this may be an unavoidable consequence of how a suppressor works and the slow and tiny rimfire projectile. Regardless, no regrets.

View attachment 878357
Awesome set up!!

What bipod is that??

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h2Z0I2jxRU

The 25minute mark (weapons design) in this link is telling.
Nice rifle OP, btw.

Nearly everything online controversial is hated, berated, where sheople become shamed conform.
I’m glad this site and a few others still prefer white water kayaking to sitting on the dock of the bay watching their freedoms slipping away.

Good luck!

Individual is measured in Days now. Trusts I think are around 3-5 months.

This is good to hear!! I’m gonna finally build my MK18ish clone. Been a dream build since I got my LTC 20 years ago.

Anyone know of a good place for engraving in Springfield area? I may just head to the Mill and find one of the shops where I can pic up a good lower and have them engrave it at the same time. And it wouldn’t hurt to work with a shop that’s well versed in the NFA stuff. Don’t know a ton about the process.

I've got two thoughts.

1) I've probably owned 15 cans over the last 20 years. Probably 4 of them .22 cans. All the .22 cans are all great. They are all quiet and light. It's cheap and easy to suppress a .22. The bullet doesn't have a lot of energy and the small caliber allows for a small exit aperture, which helps with efficiency.

In short, they all work well. The first criteria in selecting one should be ease of cleaning. The one I currently have requires it to be threaded apart. After 200 rounds it's soldered together and is a real PITA to get apart to clean. It's such a pain in the butt, that I've given up. The can originally weighed 3.5 oz and now weighs 4.5 oz. Oh well. It works and I'm not going to waste 20 minutes cleaning it every 200 rounds.

2) When you are talking about legalities and paperwork the correct term is SILENCER. Why? Because that's the language the law and all supporting regulations use. Period. Done. Feel free to call it a suppressor (more technically correct) or a can (easier to type and say). But legally they are all silencers.

Last edited:
I took my rimfire can out for some fun last weekend. My experience so far is that it seems to foul my barrel faster and accuracy falls off after maybe 200-250 rounds. More importantly, my velocity went up around 30fps and my ES opened up from 'teens to about 30fps. I was still able to repeatedly hit an 8" circle off a shmedium gamechanger at 300yds when the wind was consistent.

Initial impressions...quiet, ton of fun, looks cool, probably not accurate enough for serious competition use due to the inconsistent velocities. Unsure if this happens to be my particular can or if they're all like this, but it stands to reason this may be an unavoidable consequence of how a suppressor works and the slow and tiny rimfire projectile. Regardless, no regrets.

View attachment 878357

Which action and barrel specs? The Matrix is so butt heavy and with that barricade stop you would need the balance point even more forward. My Vudoo in a BA Comp with all forend weights still barely balances just at the magwell. If I use that gray ops stop it doesn’t sit.

Just looked it up.

Holy shit!!!!

Who knew you could spend $1000 on a bipod!!

Their black Friday sale usually has a limited supply for 40% off.

Which action and barrel specs? The Matrix is so butt heavy and with that barricade stop you would need the balance point even more forward. My Vudoo in a BA Comp with all forend weights still barely balances just at the magwell. If I use that gray ops stop it doesn’t sit.

Their black Friday sale usually has a limited supply for 40% off.
Rimx with a 20" 1.20" straight barrel. It balances perfectly with the bipod or an arca weight I slapped together that I sometimes throw on the spigot. I didn't know shit when I bought the barrel and if I were doing it over, I'd go 24". My buddy is making me some external mlok weights and I'm going to lose the side rails. I'm not a big fan.

I'm going to run the can at Alderbrook on Sunday and see how it goes.

Rimx with a 20" 1.20" straight barrel. It balances perfectly with the bipod or an arca weight I slapped together that I sometimes throw on the spigot. I didn't know shit when I bought the barrel and if I were doing it over, I'd go 24". My buddy is making me some external mlok weights and I'm going to lose the side rails. I'm not a big fan.

I'm going to run the can at Alderbrook on Sunday and see how it goes.

I really wish I would have gone at least 22” MTU and more like 24”. But I listened to others who said 20” was better for ballistics / speeds and longer was slower. But now I’m fighting being able to balance. Maybe I should give in and stop throwing money at weights and just rebarrel

3 pounds for $110 might help.

3 pounds for $110 might help.

and I could order a DFAT while I’m at it.

I really wish I would have gone at least 22” MTU and more like 24”. But I listened to others who said 20” was better for ballistics / speeds and longer was slower. But now I’m fighting being able to balance. Maybe I should give in and stop throwing money at weights and just rebarrel
longer is slower but gets you lower SDs and better rifle balance. consistency is better than speed IMO. To me, it's worth the trade off.

Back
Top Bottom