1911 (and others) semi-auto cleaning

I read that last night as well. I guess they don't trust S&W 1911 owners. Has
anyone detail stripped a S&W1911 and are they so different from a Colt or other
1911 that it would require a 'do not detail strip' warning?

I read it like "If you dissemble this further than we explain it, and you don't know what you're doing, then we're not going to help you, so don't do it." Since I don't know what I'm doing, I just scrub all the nooks/crannies as best I can with my plastic bristle brush and Hoppe's 9.

Field strip, inspect, clean, lube & reassemble after every shoot. Detail strip, inspect, clean, lube & reassemble every 5000 rounds or once a year, whichever comes first. This goes for the M1 & M2 carbines, M16 & AR15's too. but the FAL's (my personal favourites) AK's & Enfields sit around for centuries before I detail strip. They just don't seem to need it. I use to do it a quarter century and more ago like clock work but not any more. A good field strip blah blah blah and reassemble is all they seem to need. I do put a thin film of lubricant over every part though. New England humidity & climatic changes, you know.

I read it like "If you dissemble this further than we explain it, and you don't know what you're doing, then we're not going to help you, so don't do it." Since I don't know what I'm doing, I just scrub all the nooks/crannies as best I can with my plastic bristle brush and Hoppe's 9.

Gabe,

That's not much less than what I've been doing for the past 15 years, and it's worked well for me.

BTW, if you want to come over and take a look at my cleaning supplies and station set-up, just give a holler...

I just detail-stripped a Glock 19 I picked up. If I keep the same schedule that would mean I detail-strip it once every 14 years or every (I've lost count) thousands of rounds.

Glad I don't shoot anything you have to worry about very often like you guys do. [wink]

With that Glock Tony, just throw it in the dishwasher every once in a while. It's a Glock, that's about all it will ever need!

BTW, I just made the decision that I will never scrub the frame of a firearm again. I have been field stripping my guns, and tossing the pieces in my ultrasonic cleaner. After about an hour in there, I take the pieces out, blow them off with air, lube and put back together!

religion

This is one strane topic. I know bullseye shooters that never clean their
gun and they shoot in the 280's or better.

I use a bore snake and gun scrubber but i do not go overboard. I disassemble
as little as possible and wipe down and use break free.

I would from my experience be more inclined to clean the mags of semi auto
than the gun.

I claim no expertise on wheel guns and ask for advice here.

JimB

I usually just scrub the bore real good with a bronze brush and m7pro or hoppes. Once in a while I'll strip the rest down and clean out the frame and slide, but not often.

Back
Top Bottom