1911 vs. Glock fight #3,987,93

I guess it’s just a personal preference thing. I have dozens of hand guns, but I have no Glocks. It’s not that I have any thing against those ugly plastic god forsaken black extruded explosive hand maiming pieces of hell.

I just prefer a gun with a soul. :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

I guess it’s just a personal preference thing. I have dozens of hand guns, but I have no Glocks. It’s not that I have any thing against those ugly plastic god forsaken black extruded explosive hand maiming pieces of hell.

Respectfully,

jkelly

sounds like you might!! [laugh2]

Respectfully,

jkelly

Very, very well put.

I'm surprised that nobody has posted one of those disciples of JMB cartoons yet.
I own a GLOCK, I don't own a 1911 (financial reasons, it's on the list) but I did use them in the army. Both are IMHO reliable gun designs that serve a purpose, however if I am forced to choose one , the 1911 wins out. For no other reason then staying power, when GLOCK reaches the 100 year mark we can rehash the debate. Just my .02

And as far as Ford vs. Chevy, I choose Dodge.[smile]

I love glocks. the thing with 1911 as a carry gun is the slide relese, its to far forward for me to hit easily...and their heavy.. but an awsome gun, I would love to have one but not for carry.

It's the same with anything. Like I said, Ford vs. Chevy, Nintendo vs. Sony, Microsoft vs. Apple. Some people pick a camp and then set up fortifications like their lives depended on it. I'll never understand that mentality, myself. If I do side 100% with one company/product over its rival, I don't bash the competition. Usually I just buy one of everything ;)

LINUX.

Amen brother!

I will not own a plastic gun.

Plastic is for dolls and toys, I don't want my bullets exploding in some shiny toy gun.

This is my personal opinion, the fact that I work in a gun store that sells plastic guns does not mean they are not fine firearms by their own right. [shocked]

I've nothing against Glocks per-se. I think they are fine guns, very reliable and good price. It's just the fact that everyone seems to own one that puts me off. At least a 1911 lets you stand out more.

The owner of FrontSight is a Scientologist. Some people in the gun community seem to have a problem with that.

There have been more than a few serious allegations against Front Sight and Piazza, including:

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=7216884
http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=6847907

http://www.dianahsieh.com/scientology/index.html

I won't give my hard-earned money to Piazza. I suggest that you do a little research on Scientology and its practices and then make up your own mind as to whether you want to do business with him.

I love glocks. the thing with 1911 as a carry gun is the slide relese, its to far forward for me to hit easily...and their heavy.. but an awsome gun, I would love to have one but not for carry.

If you are going to use your thumb to hit the slide release, use your left thumb on it (presuming you are right-handed). Don't use your right thumb as that weakens your grip on the gun. There is also the school of thought that recommends not using the slide stop at all to close the slide during a reload.

Sling shot the slide with your hands. Use the 'slide release' just as a slide stop.

It's just the fact that everyone seems to own one that puts me off. At least a 1911 lets you stand out more.

While I respect your opinion, I think it's a bad reason for not wanting to own a GLOCK. Shouldn't the shooter only care about what gun works for them and not what makes them stand out? Standing out isn't important to me. Reliability is the most important above anything else.

Last edited:

Respectfully,

jkelly

Agreed. I feel the same way.

At least a 1911 lets you stand out more.

[rofl][laugh2]

Pip- You should come down to one of the pin shoots in central MA
next spring. You won't be making that claim anymore.... 1911s
probably constitute about 75% of the autos that show up on the
line! (There's nothing wrong with that, actually IMO its one of
the best tools for that particular purpose... ) I guess what is
uncommon in one sense is very common in another. I mean yeah,
there are guys that show up with Glocks, etc, but more often than
not even THOSE guys are using 1911s or wheelguns to shoot at the
pins. [laugh]

-Mike

Back