"20 rules"?

When taking the MA hunters ed course, there is a sheet of 10 rules or the 10 rules expanded into 20 rules that have to do with how to be a "good hunter". Today is the 4th session of the course(out of 6 holy crap!) and we have a quiz on the 20. They all come mostly from the "basic 4 rules of gun safety", but go into a bit more detail.

These are "Twenty points associated with the Ten Basic Rules of Firearm Safety". From Mass Wildlife.

1. Treat every firearm as if it was loaded
2 keep the muzzle pointed in safe direction
3 keep action open and unloaded
4 keep safety on and finger off of the trigger
5 be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions
6 check chamber and magazine every time you pick it up
7 only carry/use the right ammunition for your firearm
8 dont point a gun at anything you dont intend to shoot
9 agree to safe fields of fire and dont swing beyond your field of fire
10 positively identify your target and beyond
11 be sure of adequate backstop when shooting
12 unload gun when climbing trees, fences, jumping ditches, etc
13 never pull a firearm towards you by the muzzle
14be aware of ricochet potential
15 never shoot at a hard flat surface
16 unload firearms when not in use leaving actions open
17 transport and carry firearms unloaded in a case when traveling to and from hunting/shooting
18 store firearms and ammo separately in locked compartments
19 store firearms and ammo beyond reach of children
20 never use drugs/alcohol that can impair judgement when shooting

Christ.

Nothing like taking a very simple concept and making it as difficult as possible.

3 keep action open and unloaded
4 keep safety on and finger off of the trigger

And here is the result of turning 4 or 5 simple rules into 20 complicated ones...
You can't engage a safety until the bolt/action is closed!

BTW: Bob P, the elmer fudd crack was frickn' hilarious. I can't rep you because apparently I need to spread the wealth. [thinking] Our forum software has been Obamafied! [grin]

O God O GOD! Please stop. The f'n 20 rules. I'm so damn sick of these damn 20 rules already. I can't wait to take my test then I'll be using these damn 20 rules as tinder. This is my 3rd Safety Course. (FID, LTC, now this). My FID Safety Course Instructor marked my FID certificate for FID so I had to take another for my LTC. Now this...

And, then on the final night you take the BIG test. 50 questions...need an 80% to pass. It is a chore to go there, isn't it? Nice when it's done though.[dance]

Back
Top Bottom