2022 Schedule M1 Garand CMP Clinic/Match Games OCSA , Pembroke MA

At some point I need to meet you guys for this clinic. I really struggle offhand with the M1. I'm only about 160# and my M1 really rocks my body. Need a lot of help from the High Masters !
Have someone video your shooting offhand. Study the balance of the recoil and the body movement. Leaning into it is helpful and foot position is a big thing.

Have someone video your shooting offhand. Study the balance of the recoil and the body movement. Leaning into it is helpful and foot position is a big thing.

I've tried this but when i try a "leaning into" upper body position , i feel like im now have a too low NPA and my support arm gets muscle fatigued quickly. When im shooting AR service rifle i need to lean rearwards to have a comfortable npa. I think im hopeless ! Ive got a real skinny torso so its a real challenge for me to lock my support elbow up against my rib cage and maintain a good npa

Seriously if any of you experienced Garand / M1A shooters could meet up and help me i would GREATLY appreciate it and gladly pay for your time. im missing out on such a fun and nostalgic shooting experience by not being able to shoot garand matches!

Last edited:
I've tried this but when i try a "leaning into" upper body position , i feel like im now have a too low NPA and my support arm gets muscle fatigued quickly. When im shooting AR service rifle i need to lean rearwards to have a comfortable npa. I think im hopeless ! Ive got a real skinny torso so its a real challenge for me to lock my support elbow up against my rib cage and maintain a good npa

Seriously if any of you experienced Garand / M1A shooters could meet up and help me i would GREATLY appreciate it and gladly pay for your time. im missing out on such a fun and nostalgic shooting experience by not being able to shoot garand matches!
Anywhere close to N Central Mass?

There are plenty of videos. Im not saying this guy is good IDK who he is. He does put some effort into his videos. With all info tou pick up on things that help and modify to your needs.
For M1 Off hand I have a rifle cant. So I need to adjust my sights a bit . There are plenty of videos

If your closer to the South Shore out Resident Old Colony Master shooter gives lessons. At least he did. I lost his business card so no info . Even just shooting a few cmp matches will help.

View: https://youtu.be/tbA_3992TAI

At least with my AR service rifle and my M1A I can wear a thick shooting glove, and place my support hand under the mag and this helps me get a better NPA and lock my elbow against my ribs for steady support. Can't do this with a Garand.

At least with my AR service rifle and my M1A I can wear a thick shooting glove, and place my support hand under the mag and this helps me get a better NPA and lock my elbow against my ribs for steady support. Can't do this with a Garand.
you got to find what works.....

Do you have a thick leather or synthetic service rifle sling? With the sling configured tight to the rifle, you should have about 4 layers of leather plus your glove to give the M1 a little more 'elevation' in your offhand hold.

Do you have a thick leather or synthetic service rifle sling? With the sling configured tight to the rifle, you should have about 4 layers of leather plus your glove to give the M1 a little more 'elevation' in your offhand hold.

I tried a synthetic leather type sling when i was first learning how to shoot high power but it was too complicated to adjust . I prefer the cotton web slings. I think what i might try is some type of spacer that i could wedge between my arm and my ribcage. This should get my muzzle up higher . Not sure if something like this would be legal. Pretty sure Pelham follows CMP rules.

I tried a synthetic leather type sling when i was first learning how to shoot high power but it was too complicated to adjust . I prefer the cotton web slings. I think what i might try is some type of spacer that i could wedge between my arm and my ribcage. This should get my muzzle up higher . Not sure if something like this would be legal. Pretty sure Pelham follows CMP rules.
Try a good old leather service rifle sling. The all weathers are fine and really hold there adjustment.
Of the 3 manufactures I like The Ron Brown the best so far.

You could also just mount the all weather sling for off hand.

Bringing the Franco Special M1 and the Made by Mountain M14 tomorrow. Ammo is floor sweepings / leftovers from various matches this year.

Well the season has come to a end.
Could not be better weather!
I left with a Full belly and a couple trinkets. Nice way to end the Season. The beef stew was great
Thank you

There where some good scores
M1 as issued match
Gold = posted a personal All Time high for the Top M1 shooter today 286 , thats nice. Good job
Silver I believe was a 271
Bronze was 265

Modern was a good match also
Gold 279/7X M1a
Silver 274 - I dont know which rifle
Bronze 270 AR

Thanks to all and see you all next season and may there be more new faces!
Great shooting today!

Back
Top Bottom