2022 Schedule M1 Garand CMP Clinic/Match Games OCSA , Pembroke MA

No. I bought a few of the en blocs online (Garand Gear, maybe?), and others came from a karma on here. I'm going to order a couple from that guy on CMP and SLED to help me get through the occasional visit to Pembroke. Maybe over the winter I'll look into options for caring for these clips. (Most of them are the un-stamped kind...itsapissachit)
Tumbling can smooth out the park on them. If heavily parked, they are too grippy on the rounds and cause problems. As mentioned, the Ni plated ones are gtg out of the box.

Part of improving your scores but most importantly improving the fun factor is eliminating the little frustrations that tend to crop up. Good enblocs is one of the cheapest frustration fixes to be found for Garand matches. I have a bunch of little things I have picked up from Franco, Mac, and others over the years- stuff for loads, match prep of rifles, and little things as silly as double-tying your boot laces to make sure you don't f-up because tripping on loose laces. Since I drive 1.5 hours to these things, I don't want to screw up a match over something easily preventable.

I thought dave had a 281 garand score ?
And Cris pulled a 281 with his AR
Anyway everyone seems to be shooting a bit above their averages last few weeks.
I don't think Dave's score was that high, but it was solid.

Technically I think Chris had a full blown service rifle, but it was iron sights so we let it slide. Somebody was shooting with a scope and had a very high score but of course scope is a DQ. All fun. Too hot and humid to attempt a vintage sniper match. Everybody was done by the last regular match.
yeah I was just sitting at the ball field just before and the humidity was just bad. I was un comfortable when the sun broke out for a while.
The cool beers where a nice end to my “rough” day

No. I bought a few of the en blocs online (Garand Gear, maybe?), and others came from a karma on here. I'm going to order a couple from that guy on CMP and SLED to help me get through the occasional visit to Pembroke. Maybe over the winter I'll look into options for caring for these clips. (Most of them are the un-stamped kind...itsapissachit)
If a tumble in the polisher does not work shitty clips are a good source for SLEDS

And just because…. You can see my LH Sled in that link.

Last edited:
If a tumble in the polisher does not work shitty clips are a good source for SLEDS

And just because…. You can see my LH Sled in that link.
You know, just because you are left handed doesn't mean you can't learn how to use a rifle properly.

I may or may not have shot that 281..... I think that's a personal best for me.

Part of improving your scores but most importantly improving the fun factor is eliminating the little frustrations that tend to crop up.

For me, it's being organized and knowing my gear. My stool or cart is organized so I know where everything is and don't have to search for/think about it. Mags and clips get labeled. I don't shoot the wood guns that often- but for the slings I use on them, I've labeled what setting I need for prone with a piece of tape right on the sling. It can also never hurt to dry fire or get into position the night before the match to iron out any kinks.

One of the first Garand matches I ever shot, I had a Springfield Service Grade and I was obsessed with making it correct. So, I bought the correct SA gas plug from ebay and went to the match the next week or so. Turns out the poppet valve inside the gas plug was gummed up and the gun wouldn't always cycle. I found this out during the rapids. I can still hear the match director "you're not supposed to work the op rod in rapids"..... Lots of lessons learned that day.

Leaving these gems here for the new (and old) shooters. I met Greg at Perry a few years ago and got to tell him how helpful these posts were to me when I was getting started....

What it takes to be competitive, Part 1 and 2.

The first post of part 1 is worthy of a copy/paste:

The discipline and practice of fundamental marksmanship is as old as firearms themselves. Over the years the rifles have changed, but the fundamentals of making a well aimed round hit exactly where it was intended have never changed.

Every course of fire in CMP competition has it's roots in basic military training. The value of basic knowledge in the discipline of fundamental marksmanship has been proven throughout our history. From the pioneers that needed to eat and protect themselves, to every armed conflict America has fought, the effective use of individual arms cannot be understated. It doesn't matter how young someone was when they first shot a firearm. It doesn't matter how many guns one has collected, or what they are worth. It doesn't matter if you are male or female. In fact young women have a unique advantage over men to excel in the discipline because they see it for what it really is. It is a discipline that has to be learned, and for the fastest improvement, learned from someone that can teach effectively!

Most red-blooded American men feel like they can hold their own with the use of a rifle. It is part of our culture, but it isn't true. In fact the very lowest NRA, or military classification of Marksman ranks them in the top 1% of all that have ever used a rifle for any reason. Rifle competitors occupy the top 1% They take up the discipline to apply fundamental concepts, based on a military standard, as close to perfection as one life span allows. I hear it all the time, "If only I had discovered this sooner in my life". Taking part in the the matches, joining a club, and starting a journey with the goal of being distinguished, changes a lifelong gun owner/enthusiast into something new. The competitor is a martial artist in the truest sense, in the same way as a student of Jiu-Jitsu, Karate, or Kendo, are martial artist. Your favorite guns now have a more personal purpose, a job to do, in the development of the shooter in pursuit of a goal. The DR badge is the shooting equivalent of a black belt. It means you have put in the effort to reach a standard defined through history.

You don't learn the fundamentals marksmanship by owning guns, and shooting from a bench. CMP competition is all about the shooter's application of fundamentals consistently. Performance is measured against perfection. You will never lose to a better rifle, you will only lose to better shooters. You learn from people willing to teach, and the experience of competition. Every day at the range, every match, every little thing you learn from others, is a step in a journey that lasts a lifetime. Great people, great shooting, and a proud history await you. Get in the game, and make every shot count. We need you in the 1%.

Anyone bringing anything unusual to the Vintage Match 10/2?
Interesting? Nah, not really. I'd like to bring the Finn Mosin but can't seem to get the clips to work in rapids. Still have a big pile of GP11 so the K31 is the usual option.

Grabbed a M1917 Criterion barrel in Vermont, just in case I ever get another and build a match version.

I need to run the K98 and see if my eyes are up to the task of those crappy sights.
The K31 not much better , might run enfield just because. Probably no trinkets with that sled

50% chance of being there Sunday. Just got back from Vermont yesterday, so we'll see how the week goes....

A bit on the fence myself. I'm working in Japan all this week and don't return until late Friday or possibly wee hours of Saturday if there are any delays. I usually shoot like crap when jet lagged, mostly because my eyesight goes to shit.

Afternoon plans got squashed, so I'm shooting both matches : Garand and M1917.

Haven't shot the M1917 in competition since the 2019 New England Games.

Shooting the 125TNTs through the Garand. I don't have enough loaded, so shooting some older 155gr ammo thru the '17.

Only one match left November 6 M1 Garand‘s and modern military.

Today was windy my infield did not shoot well even worse I was not shooting well. Eventually I had a idea of where my rifle is shooting

Not a bad day for me, 268-6 Garand / 272-3 Vintage (1917).

The battle sights on the '17 put me at the top of the 10 ring/bottom of the 9 ring, so I lost a handful of points to that. I tried to hold some white at 6 oclock with varying degrees of success.

Penciling in the last match in November..... I've been shooting my USGI M14 in Modern, but it might be time to dust off the Colt SP1. Haven't fired it since Jun 2020.

Last edited:
Nice shooting, DW.

I'll be there in November for sure. I owe R his silver from our team sniper match in Vermont and he owes me a gold trinket from the June? Garand match. I plan on bringing the fugly AR-bomination so will be shooting mouse farts as well. I've been shooting older Garands lately, including the O-66 for that gold. I'm bringing my best one next time- the Franco Special with the Krieger barrel.

Nov match I might run 3 Modern Mill guns
M1a , AR and maybe one of the SKS for hahas.
Fugly AR that I hate and one of the Garands- probably the one rebuilt by the fake USMC. I need to load for the AR or at least verify my misc floor sweepings reloads will land in the same zip code. I have Garand food from various batches that I'll use up- basically floor sweepings for that one too.

Fugly AR that I hate and one of the Garands- probably the one rebuilt by the fake USMC. I need to load for the AR or at least verify my misc floor sweepings reloads will land in the same zip code. I have Garand food from various batches that I'll use up- basically floor sweepings for that one too.
AR I will run that PPU M193 battle pack shit . It will hold as tight as I can deliver. M1a gets Some CM/lappua clone stuff
If I run the sks god knows what is in that bucket!
Or maybe I will turn some custom projectiles
F103C275-7747-47A4-9E1A-15254777D056.jpeg

Last edited:
Goddamn I'm jealous about that mill! [laugh]
Dont be , its a cluster f***.
If you ever think of getting one
Get the best you can muster
Get a Mill and a Lathe.
Pita going from one to the other.
Was free so at least I got $50 in scrap , playing with it now trying to work out the kinks

Dont be , its a cluster f***.
If you ever think of getting one
Get the best you can muster
Get a Mill and a Lathe.
Pita going from one to the other.
Was free so at least I got $50 in scrap , playing with it now trying to work out the kinks
[laugh] Can't be that bad- you just have to figure out a strategy for dealing with all the slop. However, I wouldn't try to finish out precision barrel blanks with it. Might be good for the 80% stuff in aluminum or polymer?

[laugh] Can't be that bad- you just have to figure out a strategy for dealing with all the slop. However, I wouldn't try to finish out precision barrel blanks with it. Might be good for the 80% stuff in aluminum or polymer?
Well this thing was a mess.
Guy I got it from said it sucked since he bought from his friend.
Going through it I can see why.
For one. There was not a nut bolt or screw that was not loose. I tightened and adjusted everything.
Think I figured out the gear set,
And after all this I can see why he had issues. Im getting ready to get out there and check the alignment/level
Be nice if I had one of those fancy precision levels.

At some point I need to meet you guys for this clinic. I really struggle offhand with the M1. I'm only about 160# and my M1 really rocks my body. Need a lot of help from the High Masters !

At some point I need to meet you guys for this clinic. I really struggle offhand with the M1. I'm only about 160# and my M1 really rocks my body. Need a lot of help from the High Masters !
The OCSA resident guru who still holds a national record or two is about your size and in his mid 70's. Still kicks our ass more often than not.

After a search of my usual shelves and cabinets I could not remember where I put my large case of Nosler CC 77's and punted to 308's & M14 for the next match. I already had about half of the 308's left over so I made some more. As I was seating the last 308 bullets I looked down by my right foot and there was the case. I had put it on the shelf below the reloading work bench. Basically right under the press I use for rifle cartridges and my right foot was an inch or two away from it. [rofl]

I may still load for the AR, as I don't think I've used it all season.

Just ride the follow through, I have a hard to shooting the M1 well it just does not fit me well vs the AR and even the M1a “fits” better especially in off hand.

Back
Top Bottom