• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2023 22 Long Range Shooting Competition

Has anyone weighed their .22 LR rounds, measured Rim thickness or chrongraphed them in an effort to gain accuracy and consistency? Have some that spend the time to do that and others who say it's not worth it.

So Swampfox is super interesting to me. I don’t currently own any but I’ve had a couple come through over the years. Here’s a comparison between ZCO, Eotech, Swampfox and an ATACR. I can’t speak to their tracking or durability but I was impressed by the optical performance for such cheap scopes. View attachment 832436
Which pic is each scope?

The large pic is horrible.

I didn’t find a problem with the early Arken $600 model I had, the turrets were nice and the clicks felt solid. I just had issue with the thin lines of the reticle.
Maybe China cheapened them and could be why I got most of my $ back for it.
arken has issues with quality control. i saw complaints on some forums - some people indeed get lemons, and those lemons happen. turrets on my arkens are all fine, but i am not beating them up, i am not carrying rifles by grabbing a scope and not dropping them too often. go figure.

from other perspective - i am not losing my shit over a dinged $350 glass, as in the end it is only a $350 glass, not a $3500 glass. to each their own.

ps. i cannot find it, there was a good post about arkens on sniperhide, explaining in more details of that fails there on some of them in the elevation tube, from what i get it happens when people try to mount them very low and the body is just not as rigid as vortexes or any decent scopes. they may have improved that since, but i did not keep track.

Last edited:
Has anyone weighed their .22 LR rounds, measured Rim thickness or chrongraphed them in an effort to gain accuracy and consistency? Have some that spend the time to do that and others who say it's not worth it.
I think by buying quality ammo to begin with, it will keep flyers to a minimum. That can work well for the cheaper ammo for plinking but once you get past like a CCI standard it is not worth the time. I thought about weighing them recently and I have done the rim thickness thing before. I didn't see any noticable difference with the rim thickness testing.

New to long range. Only shooting to 300 yards and want help with my dope.
Hornady match 75 gn HPBT .223 that comes out of muzzle at 2790 fps. What might the drop be if zeroed at 100 yards to shoot at 300 yards ?

New to long range. Only shooting to 300 yards and want help with my dope.
Hornady match 75 gn HPBT .223 that comes out of muzzle at 2790 fps. What might the drop be if zeroed at 100 yards to shoot at 300 yards ?
Download the Hornady 4DOF app, it’s free.

Did that and not sure if I did right. My calcs says 14".61 bullet drop. A come up of 4.5 moa. My scope (vortex strike eagle) uses 1/2 moa each click. So I would need to come up 9 clicks ?

Last edited:
I caught the NRA article about 22 Long Range Shooting Competition and I have to admit, it looks fun. Does anybody know where you can find a list or information of where, when, and contact information for this type of competition event? The NRA article, I don't know maybe I missed it published elsewhere, made absolutely no mention of how you can participate in the tournaments. Honestly, I felt dirty having some NRA writer pimp the type of gear I would need to compete and what to get instead of just telling me the format and how I can find competition events near me. Basically, I'm supposed to get all dressed up with nowhere to go o_O So, if anyone can shed some light on this type of shooting and how to locate competition events, I'd be greatly appreciative.
Check Practiscore.com for local events.

Back
Top Bottom