• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.22 Conversion Kit for AR15

johnnymac101

NES Member
I’m looking to get a .22 conversion kit for my M&P 15 Sport AR (no forward assist -does that matter?)

I’ve seen some kits online that include a charging handle and some that include just the converter and magazine.
Any recommendations as to brand quality? CMMG, Jonathan A Ciener, Tactical Industries… I see prices from $139 to $250!

I would imagine .22 magazines are interchangeable from the different companies, correct? Of course I’m stuck using 10 round mags.
Thanks!

I have a dedicated .22LR CMMG AR upper, with chrome BCG, and I love it. It's on it's own lower as well. So I guess it's a dedicated AR you could say.

I don't use their special .22 charging handle. I use my BCM Gun Fighter handle, and never had any jam at all.

It's a M4 style 16" 1:16 upper, and it's damn fun to shoot.

CMMG is they way I would go.

Last edited:
I have both a Ciener kit, and a dedicated .22 upper, they both work.

The biggest benefit of the dedicated upper is having a barrel with the proper twist rate for the .22. It makes a big difference when your reaching out far.

CMMG stainless internal set is the best you can get. As was already stated I woudl get a dedicated upper for the 22 the performance is so much better.

As others have said, having a dedicated upper will make it more accurate. 1:9 twist barrels are too fast for lighter grain bullets like .22lr. They will fit, just not be as accurate.

Magazines are not interchangeable with all systems. Some may be, but not all.

I like Not Toms idea of having the dedicated .22. I have a M&P 15-22 and I like it a lot. It is a blowback system instead of a gas impingement. It's real light.

I am sure his is heavier duty than the 15-22, and he has the option to throw a different upper on as well.

From what I hear though, CMMG is the way to go if you are just swapping out bolts and mags.

I've got a pair of Ciener conversions. Some have problems with them, but mine run OK. Occasional jams when using super El-cheapo ammo.
Decent accuracy / grouping out to 100 yds (for me with iron sights - but I'm no pro).

Yes mine is slightly heavier, because all parts are aluminum, etc just like a "normal" AR15. They are not polymer.

As stated, I can throw one of my other uppers on that lower anytime I want to.

I won't though. That is my dedicated .22, and that's it.

I also installed a Taccom pressure plug in it, to make things nice and sturdy.

Yes mine is slightly heavier, because all parts are aluminum, etc just like a "normal" AR15. They are not polymer.

As stated, I can throw one of my other uppers on that lower anytime I want to.

I won't though. That is my dedicated .22, and that's it.

I also installed a Taccom pressure plug in it, to make things nice and sturdy.

I sorta wish I had gone that route. I only really have the 15-22 to practice for cheaper on the "same" platform. The light weight makes it real easy to muscle around, especially when shooting off hand. A real AR in .22 with some weight to it that is set up exactly like my "standard" would be better.

I had just spent too much money when you were doing that group buy.

I sorta wish I had gone that route. I only really have the 15-22 to practice for cheaper on the "same" platform. The light weight makes it real easy to muscle around, especially when shooting off hand. A real AR in .22 with some weight to it that is set up exactly like my "standard" would be better.

I had just spent too much money when you were doing that group buy.

Another NES'r built the .22 upper for me, and then I already had a lower, and other assorted parts to finish it off.

It's so much fun to shoot, especially being the same weight and size of my other 16" AR's.

If you get a dedicated .22lr upper, you can always build or get a lower at another time to then have a dedicated whole unit. I really wouldnt want to shoot 22s down a 1:9 or a 1:7, if it were an older 1:12 probly would.

If you get a dedicated .22lr upper, you can always build or get a lower at another time to then have a dedicated whole unit. I really wouldnt want to shoot 22s down a 1:9 or a 1:7, if it were an older 1:12 probly would.

Exactly.

I just happened to have a lower lying around, so i used it.

Is the .22 for just fun?

Yes _ then a conversion is probably OK. Be sure to use clean rounds to keep from dumping crap into the gas port. Fire a full .223 after to blow it clean.

Scope or precise sights?

Save up for a dedicated upper.

I have done both and my Tactical Solutions upper is a tack driver and the conversion was maybe 2.5" at 100 yards.

Get something that works with Black Dog magazines. They are the best.

Telepathically uploaded via Google implants.

Another NES'r built the .22 upper for me, and then I already had a lower, and other assorted parts to finish it off.

It's so much fun to shoot, especially being the same weight and size of my other 16" AR's.

Yup, every time I say I am all done, I have all the stuff I need. BAM!!!

Yup, every time I say I am all done, I have all the stuff I need. BAM!!!

They say you should use the CMMG charging handle, because the handle is filled with like epoxy so the rounds don't jam. I tried my BCM one with no issues, and have been using it ever since. At least 500 rounds throuhg it, with no malfunctions.

I've got a CMMG stainless kit. I bought it through Stag Arms, because of price and availability at the time, but it is a CMMG kit.

http://www.stagarms.com/22lr-conversion-kit-right-handed/

Mine came with a forward-assist adapter. I've never used it. If I had to pay for it, I would not have gotten it.

I use mine for plinking steel targets. It is a ton of fun, 100% reliable, and has functioned with every kind of ammo I have tried, including subsonic. I just load and shoot mags as fast as I can, and it never gets old.

It sucks that we can only get 10 round mags. I would love to do a 100 round mag dump into a steel target, just once.

Last edited:
I've got a CMMG stainless kit. I bought it through Stag Arms, because of price and availability at the time, but it is a CMMG kit.

Mine came with a forward-assist adapter. I've never used it. If I had to pay for it, I would not have gotten it.

I use mine for plinking steel targets. It is a ton of fun, 100% reliable, and has functioned with every kind of ammo I have tried, including subsonic. I just load and shoot mags as fast as I can, and it never gets old.

It sucks that we can only get 10 round mags. I would love to do a 100 round mag dump into a steel target, just once.

Even the 30 round Black Dog mags I can buy go empty too quick. I can't load them fast enough. It's fun and cheap to shoot, but damn do I go through a lot of ammo.

Oh, decisions, decisions!! Conversion kit= $200, .22 upper= $400+ or M&P 15-22= $500

My main purpose would be plinking and fun. I also like the idea of using my AR (yeah, only one so far) for the fit and feel.
Ok, I need to play with someone's toys to get the true sense of it all! Anyone going to the Shoot in Holbrook on 12/22?

Thanks for the info!

I have a dedicated 22 AR; Stag lower and CMMG upper and I love it. The AR is set up just like the 223 I shoot in USPSA rifle matches so I can practice for a fraction of the cost of center fire ammo. A dedicated upper is more expensive but this cost will be offset by cheap 22 rimfire ammo (if we ever see any again).

I am partial to conversions/uppers using the Atchison/Ciener system. This is the original 22 conversion which is extremely popular and has been for quite a while. Other conversions have come and gone. DPMS and V22 conversions are two examples. Both were excellent products but their manufacturers simply stopped production so parts are no longer available. Due to the popularity f the Atchisson/Ciener conversions, parts should be available for a long time. These conversions also take Black Dog mags which is an added plus.

If I was going to pull the trigger today, it'd be either a dedicated upper or a 15-22. I know everyone says a conversion is good, but I've seen a few jam pretty consistently and read about a bunch more doing the same. A dedicated upper from cmmg or someone who has the homework might be worth it. My 15-22s have been rock solid no matter what I throw at them and probably the rifle that I shoot the most out of the bunch.

I found the only thing the conversion kit did for me was set me back 200$ that should have just went to a dedicated upper.
I have the tactical solutions lite 22lr upper. Its great and runs fine. I soon will build a 20" 22lr upper to replicate my match gun

For the money I would buy a dedicated 22 rifle. I bought a 10/22 before there were really any decent 22 uppers on the market. Put on a new stock and some minor trigger work and some m4 sights and I could not be happier. Eats everything for ammo and have not had one jam or misfire and I have fired a lot of rounds through it. I have maybe 250 into and it's a solid performer. I get it about wanting to use the same platform to shoot, but I would rather have two firearms that I can use independently of one another. I like Rugers they are tough accurate and very customizable.

I do it all the time, and can break clays at the 50 yard line with boring consistency, and I can bang the 12" gong on the 100 yard line all day long. IMO, people who get wrapped about the "inaccuracy" of .22LR in a 1:9 or 1:7 barrel probably haven't shot one too much.

I'd rather have a slower twist, but I have an M261 vice Ceiner-style, and I don't want the logistical nightmare of changing out all those mags, etc, so I stay away from things like the CMMG dedicated upper or barrels. Besides, I don't shoot Service Rifle type targets or ranges with it, and no one who has ever shot with me has complained about inaccuracy.

ETA: Thanks for the top on the Taccom Pressure Plug!

Last edited:
So I picked up a MP15-22!!! I figure the light weight will be just right for my young daughters to hold on to... at least that's what I'll tell them!
I think I just wanted one for myself and the price was right at $389 and a box of free ammo!
I get to break it in tomorrow!! Thanks for all the info!!

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I just to make sure I understand the dedicated option. Is it true that there is no problem taking the upper off my Stag 5.56 and putting on a CMMG .22 upper?

Back
Top Bottom