223 (5.56mm) Ammo

Just picked up a BM / AR15. Any thoughts on this ammo ?

223 (5.56mm) Ammo - CCI 5.56x45mm 55gr FMJ BT - Lake City Brass

• CCI Lawman Ammunition
• .223 (5.56 x 45mm)
• Lake City Brass - Nato Cross
• 55 Grain
• Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail
• 500 Rds (25 Boxes, 20 Rds per box)

Price: $150.00

Thanks.

What is the barrel length and twist rate? Sounds like a decent price and LC is good brass to reload. The ammo will have crimped and sealed primers.

Caliber .223 Rem. (5.56mm)

Mag. Capacity Shipped w/ 10 Rd. Magazine
Overall Length 38.25 inches
Barrel Length 20 inches
Rifling R.H. twist; 1 turn in 9"
Weight w/o Magazine 8.4 Lbs.
Mode of Operation Gas Operated Semi-Automatic

never shot that ammo but sounds like a good price. I shoot a lot of American Eagle .223 and PMC Bronze for practice, both are good stuff.

I have shot thousands of rounds of the federal/LC/Speer .223 and 5.56, never had a a problem with that ammo. FWIW, the 55gr stuff with shoot fine in any twist barrel.

I will only shoot brass cased ammo out of any of my guns. I do reload though, and i can reload good grouping ammo for less than buying crappy steel cased ammo.

I am not a expert or do I compete,

I have found all the ammo that I used loaded to M193 specs to preform as good as I can. I do shoot a lot of steel case ammo never a problem.
I began to reload and just did my 1st 15 round test in the snow storm sunday. No sling no rifle rest other than my mag, iron sights 3"ish group at 100 yards
hornady bullets,Varget powder, LC brass, iron sights....cost .15 per rounds. not much cheaper than steel case ammo but will be more accurate im sure.
I get about 2.5" groups with wolf ammo on a good day
PPU performed the best for me.

Before you buy 5.56 ammo, check you barrel to ensure it's chamberd for 5.56. If it's marked .223, you should avoid 5.56. While 5.56 and .223 are very close, they are not 100% interchangable. Here's a link for some of the details: http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html
If your barrel is marked 5.56, then you're OK for 5.56 and .223 (though some will say you shouldn't shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber because it won't be as accurate - YMMV on that one).

Before you buy 5.56 ammo, check you barrel to ensure it's chamberd for 5.56. If it's marked .223, you should avoid 5.56. While 5.56 and .223 are very close, they are not 100% interchangable. Here's a link for some of the details: http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html
If your barrel is marked 5.56, then you're OK for 5.56 and .223 (though some will say you shouldn't shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber because it won't be as accurate - YMMV on that one).

Rifle is stamped with both sizes.

yes the handguard retainer can be tough. With out the tool its best to have 2 people one to pull ring down other to remove guard.

Sometimes it can be a bit scary with ARs....the barrel should be marked somewhere should it not.???

I have 2 lowers that are marked multical, friend purchased a used AR that has 9mm marked on the lower BUT its a 5.56 upper.

The barrel should be marked as well.

Haven't shot CCI. Have used PMC out to 100 yards, seemed fine for plinking. I shoot a lot of tula steel cased, $200 for 1k rounds at Cabela's or online. There are people here who won't shoot it, but it groups well at 100yards and I've only had 1 FTF in over 3k rounds of it.

If you don't reload and you're just using it for plinking steel is the cheapest practice you'll get. If you're stashing for SHTF/zombies stick with new M193 or M855. I'm gonna go ahead and assume Sierra 77g Black Hills is out since you're asking about CCI reloads.

RR Lower and BCM 16" upper FYI.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom