.223rem, 55 vs 62 grain

Any significant difference between the two(shooting 1:9 twist 16" barrel)? Will practicing with 62g throw me off if I switch back to 55g? I've only been shooting 55g but have a chance to pick up some 62g cheap for practice ammo so I don't have to cut into my stock of Fed XM193.
thanks

I'm not the most knowledgeable in that area but with a 1:9 twist barrel you probably won't see much of a difference. Maybe a little more accuracy with the 62g ammo perhaps.

For most applications, I would suggest that it would make no difference. In the days of M193 & M855, the Army routinely shot M193 out of M-16A2s for qualification.

B

I thought I noticed a difference at longer distances. It seemed that the 62 grain bullets were more accurate from 100-400 yards. However, I certainly didn't test that using means that were remotely scientific.

I shot from 100-400 using 55 grain bullets, then came back a couple months later and shot the same course of fire with 62 grain bullets. My score was much better the 2nd time, but that's not to say I didn't just get better [smile]

That being said, if you're looking for 'practice' ammo, you won't notice much of a difference. If you're still curious, test it - load a mag with 5 rounds of 55 grain and 5 rounds of 62 grain bullets. You'll feel the difference between the two (feels oh-so slightly different as it comes out of the chamber).

I do notice a difference in my DCM w/ a 1in9. Off the bench at 100 yards, not noticable, but for hunting the 62gr really shines at 200+ shots. I'm not saying the 55gr are inaccurate by and stretch, but the 62gr just perform better at distance. jp

It might be a little different out of an M4 or a carbine, but out of an A2 the difference is only about 2.5 inches at 400 yards.

B

From the latest FM 3-22.9

m855m193tablelv4.jpg

So 2.5 Inch is not an issue on a 2" P-dog head target?

That table was for the OP. Note the reference to the M4 & Carbine. I can't imagine using ball ammo out of an AR carbine for trying to make 400 yard shots on P-Dog heads. Which is why I said in my original post, that for most applications it would make no difference.

B

I have to agree, I'm not shooting competively or long range hunting with it so groups within 1" to 1.5" between the 55g vs 62g are of know matter to me. I only ask to make sure I wouldn't have to make a big adjustment shooting between the two weights.

if you are at 1:9 twist it won't make as much of a difference. If you have a 1:7, a lighter 55gr can start tumbling at 600 yards or so due to the lower mass.

Back
Top Bottom