25 Things to Always Have With You

does it help? maybe.... for snacks 1. $100 in cash
for weight? maybe for tolls... 2. $2 in quarters
always usefull 3. Pocketknife
really? i know them by memory 4. Laminated list of phone numbers of people you can count on in an emergency
always on me anyway 5. Cell phone
what good is credit in this instance? 6. Credit/debit card with at least $1000 available on it
see answer for cell phone 7. Small flashlight
see answer for cell phone 8. Lighter or matches
is it really that far away at any point? 9. Pen and paper
i am pretty... 10. Mirror
not an issue 11. Aspirin
see answer for cell phone 12. Firearm and ammo
um. no. 13. Calling card
um. no. 14. Passport
see answer for cell phone 15. Digital camera (or camera on cell phone)
booze. 16. Necessary medications
i'm scabies free 17. Medical info (allergies, med history, med list, doctor's name and number, etc)
for what? secret files? really? 18. USB drive
i can still get in 19. Spare house key
always useful. 20. Rubber band
ouch. 21. Safety pin
hi my name is ........... 22. ID of some sort
really? 23. Floss (Glide in a tiny, flat dispenser)
snickers satisfies you 24. Food (like a Cliff bar)
nothing says survival like a 25. Bandana

Last edited:
I feel the list is actually pretty good stuff to have in an emergency. Most of it could be assembled into a small bag or kit of some sort and kept in your car, the rest should be taken almost anytime you are more than 20-30 miles from home. You never know when SHTF what you will be doing or where you will be. It's far better to have a few essentials than be screwed with nothing.

I don't see anything on the list, besides a passport, that isn't extremely useful in many situations. If you are the kind of person who is helpless or never strays far from home, you probably won't see a point in much of it. But if you are the kind of person who is always traveling, and often to remote or distant places, or often goes into the wilderness, than this will all make perfect sense to you.

When you don't have cell service and your miles from home, $2 in quarters won't go far, and you may not be able to get change. And many back woods stores don't take credit, though if you break down on the highway or need a repair and AAA won't cover it, that credit card is going to look really nice. I could go on all day, but if you think of a few scenarios I'm sure you can figure out some uses yourself that you may have missed.

For the USB drive, I'd recommend making electronic copies of all of your important documents (Medical, Auto, Home, etc Instance, Copy of your Mortgage agreement, Deed (if you have it) Vehicle Title, auto-loan agreement & registration, birth certificate, driver's licence, Passport, important phone numbers. Credit Card Numbers, etc.

If you're traveling with travellers check, record their check numbers.

USB drives use solid state electronics for storage and when unpowered they are very durable, even to submersion in water. This will provide a small, simple backup to all of those critical documents.

Remember, this list to always keep with you isn't just for the EotWawKI survival senerio, this is also for those mundane SHtF events that happen everyday.

Remember, this list to always keep with you isn't just for the EotWawKI survival senerio, this is also for those mundane SHtF events that happen everyday.

This.

It seems as though people tend to forget that in most emergency/survival situations, society will not be collapsing around you.

If you're gonna have all those docs on a USB drive that you keep on you, you're gonna want to have some sort of encryption on it. Or have it handcuffed to you.

If you're gonna have all those docs on a USB drive that you keep on you, you're gonna want to have some sort of encryption on it. Or have it handcuffed to you.

TrueCrypt [wink] Being in IT I always have several on me. I keep them encrypted with Truecrypt just in case I loose one. If you are realy paranoid, use the "plausible deniability" feature.

One thing I haven't seen on any lists yet......

brain-diag.gif

Agreed.

There's a simple solution for that, which can be developed in a 3 layer protection:

1) Pick up a Secure USB stick - These are USB sticks that are pre-loaded with password encryption software for encrypting the files stored on the USB stick.
2) Use an encypting compression software program to store all of the files in an encrypted compressed file
3) Use Adobe Acrobat (or similar PDF generator) with the Password Encryption feature to generate a PDF of each individual file.

It only takes a few extra minutes to do over copying all of the files to the USB stick and will require a significant amount of work for someone to access.

For list of important numbers (like account numbers) you can use a simple pass-key format. Build an Excel spreadsheet with a line for "Passkey" then for each number you want to store enter a line "Code Key". Under Account number, create a formula from Passkey and Code Key and use the "Goal Seek" function to reverse calculate the Code Key for each account number. Before you save the file, erase or reset the passkey value. Now the data is stored in the file, but it's missing the passkey to calculate the account number. When you enter your passkey, it will calculate the correct account numbers. It's a very basic encyption, but for a short, simple dataset like an account numbers list, it's still pretty effective.

Back
Top Bottom