• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2A Alert - Ban on 80% lowers

That's a rather impressive bit of trivia to remember this long... I had to go look it up. All I had remembered is the teacher couldn't fly because he lost the suit's instruction manual. And, some FBI guy. And an annoying song that keeps getting stuck in my head.

I can't remember to take the trash out on Wednesdays, but I remember shit from 40 years ago... And there's a REASON Mrs. Pipes is usually referred to as "Honey", hereabouts.

“If you look at this morning’s outcome, it’s tough for us to say, ‘Well, what did we prevent?’ ”

—Chief Timothy Altomare

I suppose that could be read either way, but I would like to *think* he means, had they done something different (or nothing at all), that man would be alive today.

Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia
Also known as Freedom Of Passage Act

Big print giveth, fine print taketh:
  • Big print:
    • protection from illicit prosecutions from ATF
    • allowances for long guns to be bought across state lines, with limitations
    • legalize ammo shipments thru USPS
    • protection from states to travel thru without fear of prosecution if firearm(s) in question were illegal in said states
  • Little print
    • no more newly manufactured registered machine guns for civilians.
Slight correction. It's impossible to even register a WW-II era machine gun now for civilian ownership.

On a positive note, it will require homemade guns have serial numbers. This could be fun... I call dibs on all serial numbers in the range EABOD001 through EABOD999. If those are taken, I'll consider FMITA and BOHICA serial number ranges.

LOL.

I'm going to serialize all my guns as "George"

On a positive note, it will require homemade guns have serial numbers. This could be fun... I call dibs on all serial numbers in the range EABOD001 through EABOD999. If those are taken, I'll consider FMITA and BOHICA serial number ranges.

I doubt they could force serials for firearms one made prior to the requirement. I have a number of firearms that were commercially manufactured long before serials were required. Some have them, some don't.

Any half wit would simply claim they'd made it before the serial was required.

But, yes, if one DOES serialize their homemade, go with something creative.

Ban school so no one can learn to build anything.

These types of threads actually piss me off a little. Because most of the responses are just juvenile.

The way you fight these idiots is by thinking the shit thru - and then presenting them with a Hobbsian choice. People also don't seem to realize that a lot of "political" decisions happen thru back doors and not out on the Senate floor.

When I see these a-holes making arguments about banning gun parts - I think back to the effort in Westford from a few years back where the guy wanted to ban "assault weapons" in town.

I gave the following argument to a few people - and I posted it liberally on the Westford Patch as well as dumping it in a few other conspicuous places.

=========

So you want to ban assault weapons? What are you trying to achieve anyway - do you even know? Are you trying to reduce the chances of mass murder or something like that? That seems to be the underlying premise here - so I'm going to go with that. Because if we're just passing random feel good laws - then we're dancing on the edge of insanity and actually pointing out facts is not going to matter.

But let's assume that the person proposing this ban actually thinks that it's going to make a difference. Let's first go with the text of the law - because it bans possession and transport thru the town. Transport is an issue you will have to resolve - since Rte. 495 runs directly thru Westford - and I GUARANTEE you that every single day trucks travel down that highway with shipments of "assault weapons" in them. Private citizens also travel down that road with said firearms in their private automobiles. Westford has a lot of business right off the highway at Boston Road - are you going to post signs in both directions telling people with firearms in their cars that they can be arrested in Westford for possession of said firearms? I'm sure the businesses there will appreciate you driving away their customers. Does the town have the right to post signs on a Federal highway warning away travelers from coming into Westford? If not - then you will likely get a lawsuit for entrapment sooner or later if Westford Police arrest somebody who has simply gotten off the highway to fill his vehicle up with fuel - and has now run afoul of a highly localized regulation.

That's just one problem.

Then there's the problem of the intent behind the law. If the intent is to make people safe by eliminating 'assault weapons' - then a simple ban will not suffice. I can tell you FOR A FACT - that simply banning the purchase or possession of said rifles is not sufficient. There is first the problem of Massachusetts firearm licensing. In order to truly remove those firearms from within Westford town lines, you are going to have to revoke all MA Class A LTC permits. That is the only way to prevent a Westford resident in possession of that license from going out and buying an assault rifle. Revoking Class A LTC licenses also removes the ability of Westford residents to have pistols for their own protection. That means that any rape or domestic violence survivors who may live in town are going to lose their means of protection.

Then there's the issue of just building another rifle. The means to build an assault weapon are freely available and well known. I personally know a man who built an AK-47 from an old garden shovel. AR-15 rifles can be assembled from parts - and manufactured using common shop equipment like milling machines and drill presses. That means that to TRULY get rid of the possibility of assault rifles being possessed by people within the town of Westford - the equipment to manufacture one of these rifles must also either be highly regulated and/or banned from possession by town residents. Last but not least are unregistered weapons. It is a well known fact that soldiers in time of war often "bring back" weapons from the battlefield. This was common practice during WW2 - and continues on up to the present day. There are multiple cases of soldiers smuggling back weapons from Iraq and Afghanistan - so the practice does still continue. It's also relatively common - for "bring back" weapons to be found in the attics of older homes where the wife of a WW2 soldier might be finally leaving that home. A search thru the attic will turn up long hidden firearms. Why does this matter?

Because if you TRULY want to ban the presence of such weapons - then every single house within the town of Westford must be searched top to bottom. That is the only way to truly be sure all the weapons have been eliminated.

Again - if the intent of the law is to truly ban these firearms - then the only logical and moral thing to do - is to go to the full extent to actually ENFORCE IT. Anything less is a half measure and makes the law into a joke.

==============

I don't know how much this circulated - but I can tell you that when I put it up on the Westford Patch at the time - there were a number of "Derp!" level responses from people who simply didn't understand that they had waded into the deep end of the pool and were over their head.

This is how I think you fight this shit. Bring up very inconvenient facts like this - and shove it into their damn faces. Make them come to grips with the full spectrum of what they're proposing. Politicians are stupid - it's probably an even bet that you'll be able to get one of them to write up a drill press ban - which will piss off probably about 50% of the males in the country. Either that or they'll put huge restrictions on purchases of aluminum. Either way make them bury themselves with the pushback from OTHER constintuencies that they're now screwing over.

My strategy was that I figured if I posted the above screed far enough and wide enough - some cop within Westford would see it and go: "oh shit - this will be a complete shit show - I need to talk to the Chief and have him talk to the Selectmen and tell them to bury this turd before it gets wings - otherwise my job will be a freaking nightmare"

I do not know if any of this happened - but I do know that the Westford assault rifle ban DID get buried.

And i think any crime one comitted with an 80% lower is probably just as much of a crime as one done with a factory lower. This is ALL about knowing where the guns are so when the Progressive Communists have siezed power they know who to go after. Not tin foil.

This sure isn't going to help:

Southington man found with several weapons, ammunition

Court documents show Southington Police got a tip back in September that a resident was selling an assault rifle on armlist.com that was advertised as, "No brand. New. Has drop in trigger. No serial. Completed from 80 lower. Carbine length. No paperwork. I need money."

"You're manufacturing virtually untraceable firearms without serial numbers putting together uppers and lowers and making AR-15's in this state," the state's attorney said.

Lam also had six rifles in a storage unit, which included two 12-gauge shotguns, two .22 caliber rifles, and one 7.62 mm rifle. They were all registered to Lam.

What great reporting....that’s just the tip of the iceberg..that article is loaded with ignorance.

Lam also had six rifles in a storage unit, which included two 12-gauge shotguns, two .22 caliber rifles, and one 7.62 mm rifle. They were all registered to Lam.

What great reporting....that’s just the tip of the iceberg..that article is loaded with ignorance.

With a touch of poor grammar thrown in for good measure.

“In Lam’s apartment, police found 4 uncompleted assault rifle lower receiver parts”

To be blunt about it, it isn't much more difficult to build a firearm from scratch than it is from a parts kit. A hobbyist's basement with a decent selection of crappy HF tools is a FAR better manufacturing facility than those available when the 1911 was designed and built. For that matter, go surf for the youtube vids of the people living in mud huts, building 1911's and AK's that look like they were built in a modern factory.

Regardless, it seems pretty obvious that this law would - you know - infringe.

Back
Top Bottom