2nd Annual NWCSA Scout Rifle match

This is a practical rifle match specifically designed for major caliber, manually operated rifles (MORs) or carbines that meet Jeff Cooper’s Scout Rifle criteria. First shot accuracy from a variety of shooting positions and conditions on 4 MOA targets out to 200 yards is required. Larger MORs and semi-automatic rifles and carbines that meet caliber requirements may compete as well.

Your favorite eastern deer rifle and 2 boxes of cartridges will probably work just fine.

We are limiting attendance to the 25 competitors. You must register in advance

Look here for more details:

http://www.nwcsa.org/2011/02/scout/

Since when do you shoot anthing but that round wheely thingy?

1873_revolver_carbine_lg.jpg

Craig, I'd love to join but since I'm having a plate screwed into my ankle later today, pretty sure I won't be up for match for a couple months. Good luck at S&W.

Dave

What did you do to your ankle?? and... Welcome to the "Pins, Plates and Screws Club"

I'm sure you would have, but you have to shoot big boy cartridges. The min caliber is 6.5 Swede/120 gr bullet min. A 6.5 Grendel might work.

I got my plate and screws from a gutter incident.

Craig

While I enjoy the dedication and encouragement of my fellow shooters, with my recent lack-of-gracefulness, I'll end up needing plates in the other leg! It would be fun to try to do though, wouldn't it? Looked like fun.

While I enjoy the dedication and encouragement of my fellow shooters, with my recent lack-of-gracefulness, I'll end up needing plates in the other leg! It would be fun to try to do though, wouldn't it? Looked like fun.
Dave,
Jesse, the subject of the video had just broken his ankle a week or so prior to the match. He slipped on ice around his pool. It wasn't a match prop.[wink]

I know it wasn't a prop, you can clrearly see the cast on his left leg. But, it still does look like something worth trying... just because you're on crutchers doesn't mean bad things can't still happen to you. And it if shooting wasn't fun for us all (including Jesse), he wouldn't be out there, showing us how it's done! Wow, a week after the break - he's more hardcore than I am. Humm... the match is still 3 weeks out... Maybe...

Check this site out: http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?476-6.8-SPC-Load-Data-Chart

You can download the .XLS file. Lots of data there. I've just started working up loads myself so haven't settled on one just yet. My goal is develop a load I can make USPSA rifle major power factor of 320, which is why I went w/ a 20" barrel instead of a shorter one, so I can get max velocity. Also, I've heard (but not verified myself yet) that Silver State Armory brass is not as thick at the base and therefore has more volume then other brass (meaning you can stuff more powder in it than other brands of brass).

Nice.

I've not seen the 130gr Speer 6.8 bullets anywhere. Good luck with the load development.

Why not just go with the 6.5 Grendel? Both set-ups are crazy expensive and you won't be pushing the safety boundaries with the Grendel.

See you in a few weeks,

Craig

PS - I think you with a lot of time on your hands (or butt as the case may be) and unlimited computer access is a very dangerous thing.

Nice.

I've not seen the 130gr Speer 6.8 bullets anywhere. Good luck with the load development.

Why not just go with the 6.5 Grendel? Both set-ups are crazy expensive and you won't be pushing the safety boundaries with the Grendel.
See you in a few weeks,

Craig

PS - I think you with a lot of time on your hands (or butt as the case may be) and unlimited computer access is a very dangerous thing.

I don't think the Grendel will make major. Why else would the AMU go with the .30 Gremlin for Daniel Horner to shoot the USPSA Multigun Nationals? By the way, was done with Non Canister powders.

Thanks Dan - I thought the data I saw on the 120 & 130 gr loads was making it (2700 fps/20" barrel) but I have no practical experience. I do recall reading about the Gremlin.

Anyway Dave, bring your 120gr+ whatevers and we'll help you out.

Craig

What a fantastic match!

We had competitors from all over New England - thanks for driving down to shoot with us.

Also, thanks to the great crew and support from Northwestern CT Sportsman's Association.

It was a Savage Scout vs Ruger Scout match for sure in the Scout category. I'll keep you in suspense until the scores are posted, but will say that both performed very well and are awesome rifles. Look for scores, and photos, to be posted here: http://www.nwcsa.org/2011/02/scout/ .

We'll hold a random drawing to the slings once they arrive (OK - once I get to the Post Office to pick them up - probably tomorrow) and mail them, along with the awards, out to the winners!

Thanks again and see you soon,

Craig

A BIG thanks to Craig and his team for putting on a great match!

What a unique way to use a simple target array and a few props to develop challenging stages.

P3131835.jpg

P3130033.jpg

P3131837.jpg

P3131848.jpg

P3131851.jpg

P3131853.jpg

P3131854.jpg

P3131859.jpg

P3131869.jpg

P3131874.jpg

P3130017.jpg

More pictures here.

Last edited:
Nice pictures! That looks like fun, wish I had a rifle set up to meet the requirements, I would have tried to shoot this.

Craig, nice job on the match. I had a great time good bunch of people at the club. Thanks again for the hard work. Take care Robbie

Back
Top Bottom