3" Shells for waterfowl

I've come across a nice shotgun for a good price but it will only take 3" shells. I'm a little hesitant because I'm used to shooting 3.5" shells. Does anyone here shoot (and have success) using 3" shells? Do people think I should simply stay away? Thanks for the advice.

All I've ever hunted with is 2 3/4 and 3" for ducks and geese. You can't sky bust them like the chooches who use the anti-aircraft shells, but I've never had a problem.

Last edited:
It's one of those things where I know it will be fine, but i just need some reassurance. The whole "bigger is better" mentality is really starting to bring me down.

Details on the shotgun? People bag on me for using 3.5 inchers, but I have to use non-toxic as per MA law so I'm limited there. It would also be interesting to see someone take down a Canadian Goose at 45 yards with a 2.75 inch shell.

Adam

It would also be interesting to see someone take down a Canadian Goose at 45 yards with a 2.75 inch shell.

Adam

You can't make a head on breast shot. At that distance with 2.75" you need to shoot from behind so the bb's don't bounce off the thick breast feathers. The bb's make it through fine when you are shooting a goose that is flying away.

Details on the shotgun? People bag on me for using 3.5 inchers, but I have to use non-toxic as per MA law so I'm limited there. It would also be interesting to see someone take down a Canadian Goose at 45 yards with a 2.75 inch shell.

Adam

Shoot them in the head and they go down quick.

Duck!

So

Who wants to get out and do some Sea Duck Hunting?

The Season is about to open.

Capt Walt

puntgun.jpg

those 3inch shells kick like hell and i would not recomend using them because they only add recoil..not killing power. that gun should also be able to use standard sized shells also, most shotguns are designed that way these days.

Last edited:
I dont know that I agree here... A 3 inch shell does have more kick, as does the 3.5", but you get MUCH more muzzle velocity and that means flatter shooting with more energy at the impact. When I hunt foul, I use the biggest cartridge I can to increase my chance of not winging a bird. It may hurt more, but that kick you feel is equal to the power pushing the load out the muzzle.

Back
Top Bottom