300 ultra mag

I have a 300 ultra mag. I understand that Rem. has come out with 3 different loadings for this particular cal. They equal the 300 ultra mag, 300 mag, and the 30-06. Does anyone have experience with these loads that can be fired from the 300 ultra mag?

Kenny,
I have no experience with the 300 Ultra Mag, but I've got to ask, what are you going to shoot with it?

Respectfully,

jkelly

It had always been my dream to hunt for sheep or mountain goat. I had been informed that this would be the perfect cal. I purchased the gun four years ago and have never fired it. I've never mounted a scope on it. Physical conditions may keep me from my hunt and I was prepared to sell the rifle. Then I was told about the new Rem. loads and investigate a little more. If the lower end load can match the 30-06, a cal. I don't own, then maybe it's worth keeping.

Thanks

Here's the discussion of the three loads on Remington's site:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/power_level.asp

I have a .300 Win Mag, and it's a real handful with full loads. I handload for it, so I could load down to .30-06 velocities, but I've got other rifles that already do that, so I've always worked at near maximum loads, and with a 180 or 200 gr bullet you're really ready to go home after a 30-round bench session (at least I am, and I'm not unusually recoil sensitive).

The question I'd have would be regarding accuracy. A greatly reduced load isn't necessarily going to be acceptably accurate, and as I gather you don't handload, you won't have any options for additional "tuning." If it were me, I'd pick up a box or two of the Remington loading that duplicates .30-06 ballistics and give it a good bench test - if you can get acceptable hunting accuracy out of it then you're good to go, if not then it might make sense to trade the Ultra Mag in on something that would be more practical for your particular needs.

It had always been my dream to hunt for sheep or mountain goat. I had been informed that this would be the perfect cal. I purchased the gun four years ago and have never fired it. I've never mounted a scope on it. Physical conditions may keep me from my hunt and I was prepared to sell the rifle. Then I was told about the new Rem. loads and investigate a little more. If the lower end load can match the 30-06, a cal. I don't own, then maybe it's worth keeping.

Thanks
Sounds like a plan, good luck with your trip!

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom