.308 bullet for rem 700 sps

I have rem 700 sps with 1:10 twist 20" barrel and wondering if i should shoot 175 smk or go with 190 or 200 gr. I know alot of people say 175gr and alot of top contenders use 175gr but i am starting out and reading 168 i was going to use but the wind effects it alot. Then someone sent me some 174gr math bullets to try but i am looking for advise since i am a newbie and all and have alot to learn. I live in south western ct and most of you guys are up north and hope to meet you all this summer.

Thank you
Craig

What distance are you going to shoot? Out to 600 yards 168's have been doing well for a long time. Past that the more streamlined 175's have an edge.

thanks for the advice all, so if i just have a range that is 100 yds to shoot how will i know how these bullets do at 600 - 1000yds??
A ballistic calculator like this very popular on-line one will give you a pretty good prediction. Just zero at 100 yards and use the come-up table for longer ranges. No calculator will get you in the black at 1,000 yards though. You start with the computer generated come-up table and then fine tune it at actual long ranges. If you play with the calculator you'll see that at 800 yards the temperature and barometric pressure start to have a noticable effect.

When I lived in CA I used to compete in a match that started at 200y and moved out to 1,000y. Just about everyone used the 175smk.

Don't over think it. Pick 1 bullet that will work for everything (175smk) and get to know its dope very well.

My experience is that .308 case capacity gets in the way of anything much over a 180-185 from getting viable long range velocities. I went to Berger 185gr HPBT back down to 175's because I just couldn't get enough powder in there. It's not a good sign when you hear the powder crunching when you seat the bullet. ;)

My 1-10 twist 20" Remington performs its best with 175g smk over 43.5 grains of varget and a 2.810 O.A.L . It prints 1/3" groups at 100 yards regularly with this load, and they have preformed very well out to 770 yards ringing a 20"x20" steel target.

My 1-10 twist 20" Remington performs its best with 175g smk over 43.5 grains of varget and a 2.810 O.A.L . It prints 1/3" groups at 100 yards regularly with this load, and they have preformed very well out to 770 yards ringing a 20"x20" steel target.
That's the formula most of the 1,000y shooters in CA used: 175smk over Varget. Very temperature stable stuff too. I was shooting IMR4350 and could saw a lot more velocity change between cold and hot days.

168gr is going to give you the most bang for your buck. Performance won't be noticeably different than the 175gr, but price will.

Stay away from the 168 SMKs if you plan on going anywhere near the transonic boundary. Berger 168s should be ok, though 175s are the safest.

Also, since VLDs seem to love to be jammed into the lands, it might be prudent to make sure you can reach your lands with the bullet before going with them. I couldn't reach the lands on my 5R if I wanted to. Don't know if the SPS are any different.

Varget works, AR-Comp gives me much better consistency, and my reading has shown better temp stability. So far I love it.

I'm wondering if the 20" barrel can get the 175's (and heavier) up to speed to be of any use out to 600yds.

You will have no issues with 20" barrel and 175gr. You can easily get 2500+ FPS from the muzzle and be in 1550fps ballpark at 600 yards

Back
Top Bottom