308 Load Data

The groups were pretty good, At the top powder charge, they were within 4". The thing I wanted to avoid (please set me straight if this isn't reasonable) was having to sight my rifle in to the new loads. This is the rifle I use for hunting, and would like to avoid having to sight it back in for my hunting ammo in the fall. Not a big task though, I guess I could just keep track of how many clicks I move it.

Now here's something else... When I take this rifle to the range, I almost always use 8.5X11 targets that I print out myself. I don't need any larger targets at 100yds, because I am always on. When I was shooting these loads, I wasn't hitting the paper for the first 3 work-ups of 5 rounds. After that, I realized that it was shooting low, and I started to shoot at a blank 200yd target that was left up right next to my paper. That's how I noticed that they were very low. So for at least half of my loads, I couldn't even see how they were grouping at all. So, that being said, would it make sense to start back where I started, using large enough targets to see the hits and compare group size, or should I still start at my max load, and continue working forward?

Thanks
Adam

Adam - 4" at 100 yards from a bolt gun shooting from a bench is not acceptable. I assume it's scoped but even if it isn't, not good. I don't know if that's because you, the gun, the ammo, or a combination. You should be shooting within an inch with 168 SMK's at 100.

I would redo the entire test on a target large enough to record groups. Otherwise it's a waste. Remember, lower power will shoot lower.

You're not going to get a load that shoots the same as you're hunting ammo. Even if you change lot #'s your POI will change some. If you saw no signs of pressure you could include some loads higher than your last.

Cool thanks Tony.
Yes it is a scoped bolt gun, and when I shoot the Federal GMM I can stay within 1"

Guess I should start this series again. I think I will just do the same series over again, and I will work past the original 42.5 by a couple of tenths to see how those do as well.

No, I need to get to the gunshop, and buy some of those big targets!

Adam

I concur that 4 MOA from a scoped bolt gun is unacceptable. Assuming it's a sporting (hunting barrel) you should get groups about 1" or so. Heavy factory barrels, .75" and custom barrels (like Hart) about .375" to .5". Thats assuming from a bench, with front and rear bags.

Adam, don't worry about the zero, until you find an accurate load. If 4895 doesn't work for you, ask me about other powder recommendations. I have a few good ones. I do prefer 4895 first in the 308, though. It usually works well.

Thanks Nickle.
For the record, I was only using front bags. They were the little sand bags that I had stacked up to support the front of the barrel.

Adam

I hope you rested the stock on them, not the barrel. If you don't want to pay for a rest, Gander Mountain (and possibly Midway) has front bags (Caldwell) that are tall enough to work with out a pedestal rest. I bought a set of bags to have a set of cheapies available.

Yes I had the front stock resting on the bags, not the barrel. I do it that way, so I wouldn't have to look for 2 more bags, but what problems would it cause if you were resting the barrel on the bags?

Adam

If you ever find your zero significantly changed and your accuracy gone, check your "free float" of the barrel. A file card or dollar bill works fine for a gage (thickness).

Back
Top Bottom