Not to derail but how important are liners? No fireplaces but my house was built in 1900 and doesn't have a liner. At home inspection 6 years ago the guy recommended it. No issue yet and furnace etc inspected yearly. Oil burning boiler setup.

Last edited:
I had Boston Chimney inspect my fireplace when I moved in (~8 years ago) and they said it was cleanest flue they had ever seen, "Good to go"
Last year (after a few cords) I thought it'd be good to have it looked at again. They told me that the way the flue met the firebox was out of code and that they don't conciser it safe to use. The only remedy would be a steel sleeve.

"WTF, Did the codes change?"
"Yep"

Hi. My company converts wood fireplaces to effiecient gas firepalces using direct vent inserts by Heat & Glo and Valor. Check out my website fireelement.com . We do free site views and would be glad to get out and take a look at your fireplace.

Not huge. 34 wide, 27 high and about 22 deep.

I was thinking a wood burning fireplace inset.

I don't want a gas fireplace or insert.

Can't do any of it right now though.

I did see a contractor on This Old House and they skimmed the inside off a chimney. But I think it was an older in-lined chimney.

I can call around a few places to see.

Wood burning fireplace insert is pretty good option.

The cost of the insert and install was probably about 1/2 of the quote I had for putting a rectangle liner in on my chimney and that would have been just to be able to have an open fire that I shouldn't leave unattended at any point and would have been losing more heat up the chimney than I kept in the room.

Back
Top Bottom