44 spec. loads in my Henry rifle

The question is being old at 72 and bad shoulder,I am looking for loads to use
44 special in this rifle for deer hunting..If i use pistol data,about how much do
you think I will gain in velocity from a 20 inch barrel ?? I have 200,240,255 grain
hard cast bullets..Plus several spec. brass..Appreciate any replies..Probably no
shots over 75 yards..Woods hunting....Thanks...

44 special in this rifle for deer hunting..If i use pistol data,about how much do
you think I will gain in velocity from a 20 inch barrel ?? I have 200,240,255 grain
hard cast bullets..Plus several spec. brass..Appreciate any replies..Probably no
Flat nose or hollow point?

If you use a 240 solid you should have plenty of speed with 44 special loads to drive it clear through a whitetail.

I shot some 44 specials with 200 grain gold dots today. They blew clean through a 16” block of ballistic gel and were probably moving too fast. The wound channel was very impressive.
These were 44 special book loads with Unique and 2400.

Check the hunting forum on CastBoolits. Lots of guys taking down deer with moderate 44 special loads in 5.5” revolvers. Shooting clean through them with 240 grain cast bullets.

I just took delivery of a Henry .44 mag single shot w/22" barrel and I'll be testing loads over the next few months. I prefer the 240 gn LSWC myself, and can PM you the data if you are interested. If there's any power factor or velocity you're looking for let me know.

I get the "woods hunting". I grew up in the Adirondacks with my grandfather's Model 94 30-30 carbine (still have it). We hunted the northern Long Lake area. Plenty of deer but and you never (ever) had a shot over 25 yards. My dad started out with a .308 with an ultra fancy scope, beautiful rifle - but soon replaced it with a simple carbine and iron sights. All that said, I can't remember a year when we didn't put venison in the freezer.

Oh, and tell my 98 year old mother-in-law that 72 is 'old' and she'll cackle like a hen. :D

What powder you got?

Pistol data might get you into trouble just because the burn rate of the powder.
I think Lymans and the Hornady book had .44 rifle data

Out of what you listed for powder, Titegroup and CFE Pistol might burn too fast.
Unique and 2400 work like a charm, slower burning. Blue dot's good for heavy max loads.

Pretty sure Henry barrel is .431 dia., typical 44 spcl/mag bullets for pistol are .429 dia. SAAMI spec for pistol and rifle in 44 spcl/mag are not the same - .429 dia vs .431 dia.

Use 19gr of 2400 w/240gr FMJ FSP .431 dia bullet in a 1984 Marlin— works great. Factory pistol rounds not so much.

I don't have any excellent light HC loads for the Henry. Mine, which has the old 1:38 twist (new ones are 1:20), doesn't like 240 grain HC loads very much, at least not any that I've tried. Anyway, since you are reloading, I'd suggest staying with 44 magnum brass/length and just use a fast-ish powder to ensure that the final product is light-recoiling.

I think it would be better if you padded your shoulder and maybe a soft recoil pad to slow the recoil impulse down a bit.
72 with a bad shoulder you more likely to get hurt trekking through the woods or dragging that deer out than recoil

Pistol data might get you into trouble just because the burn rate of the powder.
I think Lymans and the Hornady book had .44 rifle data

Out of what you listed for powder, Titegroup and CFE Pistol might burn too fast.
Unique and 2400 work like a charm, slower burning. Blue dot's good for heavy max loads.
I tried the cafe pistol powder with 240 gr cast at 1258 fps and excellent groups at 50 yards.

Back
Top Bottom