• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

50 CAL ?

I'm looking to buy one and just woundering what is good brand and model if I'm going to speed that kind of money I should just go all in.Any suggestion?

Armalite has an AR-50A1 for $3400 msrp, Barrett's model 99 is about $3800. Both are single shot bolt guns and probably about the cheapest you'll find. I have no experience with either of these, but have looked into both as possible buys.

Lots of good 50's to choose from, and I would suggest you think outside the Barrett box. State Arms makes a number of great choices that are very well made, accurate and fairly reasonably priced. So does Blue Grass Armory (although in the past they were pretty backlogged and I wouldn't trust them when they tell you what the turnaround will be). Serbu also makes a good and reasonably priced gun. Accuracy International makes a very good, and not so reasonably priced rifle. AR50 is also a popular choice.

If you want a semi-auto you're probably looking at a Barrett - but they are very expensive and you will lose a fair amount of accuracy.

Also, when deciding what your budget is, don't forget to leave a pretty big chunk of money for a scope, mount and rings. And ammo is obviously pricey. And you will want accessories to keep your rifle clean. Unfortunately, when it comes to the .50 pretty much everything associated with it will be pricey. However, the sh** eating grin you will get on your face the first time you pull the trigger is priceless.:)

well looks like I have to look at the hole piture i just know the name Barrett is good but have to save some money for all the accessoories and ammo

I have a Serbu. It's a bolt action single shot but that's OK. I don't need to shoot fast. The only other .50 I've shot is the Barrett. The Barrett shoots softer but costs several times as much as the Serbu.

Before looking for which gun consider the following:

- Will the club/range you belong to allow you to shoot a .50 rifle?
- Do you have access to a long range range so that the .50 can "stretch it's legs"?

Lots of clubs won't allow them, but some will. Fear of backstop damage is the most common reason given.

E. MA has very few clubs with >100yd ranges and IMNSHO the .50 needs a longer range to stretch it's legs.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Before looking for which gun consider the following:

- Will the club/range you belong to allow you to shoot a .50 rifle?
- Do you have access to a long range range so that the .50 can "stretch it's legs"?

Lots of clubs won't allow them, but some will. Fear of backstop damage is the most common reason given.

E. MA has very few clubs with >100yd ranges and IMNSHO the .50 needs a longer range to stretch it's legs.

Good luck with whatever you get.

The rang that I,m a member has a 250 yards and they do let you use a 50 CAL but thats a good point some have a lot of do and don't.I can't wait to pull that triger on buying one and shooting one

Harvard has a group that shoots at the 200/300 yard range. It might be worth showing up at their next shoot. You'll see semi and bolt rifles from several makers and you can ask the guys what they like and why. I can't speak for them but if I was there and you showed up with some factory ammo, I'd let you shoot. Factory ammo especially in small amounts is very expensive. I think a 10 round box is about fifty bucks.

well looks like I have to look at the hole piture i just know the name Barrett is good but have to save some money for all the accessoories and ammo

Barrett makes great rifles. I own a 82A1 and a 99 in .416. We both belong to the New Bedford Rifle Range where you can shoot out to 500 yards (Take note of this Len). Acme has a 99 in 50 BMG with a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope for $4449 credit or $4275 cash/check.

If you want to try either of ours, let us know and we'll meet you at NB and the ammo is on us.

Barrett makes great rifles. I own a 82A1 and a 99 in .416. We both belong to the New Bedford Rifle Range where you can shoot out to 500 yards (Take note of this Len). Acme has a 99 in 50 BMG with a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope for $4449 credit or $4275 cash/check.

If you want to try either of ours, let us know and we'll meet you at NB and the ammo is on us.

I looked on the web site and I could not find it and that could be a good plan ammo is not cheap thanks

Last edited:
82a1 is a fun rig to shoot. not particularly accurate, but fun to shoot none the less. Lets face it...it was never designed as a "precision" platform. its an anti-material rifle. if it shot minute-of-engine-block....they were happy.

macmillan tac50? WHOLE 'bother animal. those rigs are incredible

that being said....if I was looking for a rifle in the $4k range...it'd be a Barrett 98Bravo in .338 Lapua Mag....no question whatsoever.

granted the nightforce+rings would put me closer to $6500, but it'd be worth it :)

I have a Serbu. It's a bolt action single shot but that's OK. I don't need to shoot fast. The only other .50 I've shot is the Barrett. The Barrett shoots softer but costs several times as much as the Serbu.

Serbu is now shipping his 50A as well (uses Barret magazines). Serbu has not done formal accuracy groups, but has 3 shot touching groups at 100 yards (yeah, I know that distance is missing a zero). This gun is gas operated, and the barrel does not move - so the accuracy is going to be governed by the barrel (free floated)/ chamber/ compensator and not suffer from "moving barrelitis" like the Barret. Mark tells me he designed the gun for accuracy, and looks forward to results from some formal accuracy testing.

The thing is a masterpiece of craftsmanship and engineering, partiularly how the bolt assembly and recoil damper work.

One hint though - do NOT even think about assembling this gun with the firing pin removed - that has "bad idea" written all over it. Trust me - I am an expert on this one.

If you need to stretch a 50's legs, try Hale Mountain GC in Shaftsbury VT., great place and have 1000yds to have fun, right up the side of the mountain, spend the night there camping out also, get up Bacon and Eggs on the griddle with the smell of powder for dessert.

If you need to stretch a 50's legs, try Hale Mountain GC in Shaftsbury VT., great place and have 1000yds to have fun, right up the side of the mountain, spend the night there camping out also, get up Bacon and Eggs on the griddle with the smell of powder for dessert.

1k at Hale? The last time I was up there it was only ~500 to the last target

Back
Top Bottom