600 yards anyone?

F/TR

camo10.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~v2creative/camo.html

"However beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

Looks great, very nice job. You'll be happy with how that Savage shoots. You will need to move that scope WAY forward to shoot it prone though, for a proper cheek weld.
Dave D

Reading, Nashua, and Pelham... someday. Scarborough, ME. A couple of others.

Thanks for the heads up on the scope placement, although I am just putting this thing together and assume I would have found out the hard way the first time I shot it prone. My eyebrow thanks you!

JR

Yeah, barrel, bolt handle, and trigger guard. I shot some fabric in the same pattern to cover the scope. I will probably shoot th bipod soon as well. It takes time to do it all right.

Oh, and I looked at my scope position from prone and it will need to go forward, but not as much as I thought.

JR

Last edited:
600 Yds anywho

Nice job Jeff!! i know how bumbed out you were with the B&C tack that didn,t fit
i got the idea from you and got one for my 700Rem and felt realy bad that mine did
but that looks Super how did you come up with the process?? just thought it up or
saw something like it?

it looks Super though !! Sheriff Dudley aka uncle AL to you!!

I looked at a lot of other people's paint jobs online, etc. , but decided to try to come up with something more area and 3 seasonal appropriate (I don't plan on seeing a desert anytime soon). I was just winging it after that. Took my time between steps, and figured if I botched it I was just losing an inexpensive synthetic stock... so what.

Only after I thought the process was viable

here at: http://home.comcast.net/~v2creative/camo.html

did I proceed to do the barrel, bolt, trigger guard, bipod, etc.

Thanks for the comment. I will be there at HHRG tomorrow (Sunday) to finally shoot the damned thing.

JR

PS. and Jerry said "BLECHHHHH!" when I said I was painting it. So... "NAH-NAH NAH-NAH-NAH!"

Last edited:
I love them long shots back in younger day my Remington 6.5 rem mag: with a 26 bull barrel from E.R.SHAW will reach out to 1000 yards a 6x18 scope and I had wood Chuck going crazy.I did manage to take a few whitetails out to 500 yard from the ridge looking over a few corn meadows back then.
I like them hornady 140 grainer SP interlock bullet I have to say been so long I never remember who I sold that gun too 35 years later

I did move the scope forward about 1.5". Shot it off a bench, first at 50yds to get the scope in the neighborhood, then I went out to 100yds. With 175gr SMKs (over 42 gr Reloader-15, Win brass, Win primers) I was getting 2610 fps (average over 12 rounds). Mild-ish but accurate. Eventually, I had three shots I could cover with a quarter, before my scope worked loose. It actually happened twice. The first time was when the B-Square base itself worked loose, then the bases of the Warne rings came loose.

I have used both B-Square bases, and Warne rings, and have had no trouble with either, but never together. Maybe there's a compatibility issue, maybe not. There shouldn't be.
I confess that I was neglecting to check the torque every 2-3 shots, so I am probably to blame, at least in the case of the rings letting off. In any case, I can clearly see the accuracy potential of this rifle.

I like this load. I need to crank out a good pile and head to the range again for an extended accuracy session, and from the prone position off the bipod.

JR

Last edited:
Range Report 2

@100 yards

First target: After shot one (off the bench), I clicked right a couple, then fired four shots. Three went through the same hole!

Second target: Three shots prone. Two through the same hole.

Winchester brass, 175 gr SMK over 42 gr Reloader 15. Avg MV of 2615 fps.

JR
target01.jpg

JR
target02.jpg

Liking it!

JR

I just got through putting Locktite blue on the B-Square base screws, because yes... the damned thing started to get loose again. There was a fourth shot on the second target... waaaaay off to the right. I knew then it had come loose again, and packed it in for the day. The Warne rings were still on solid, so I did not Locktite them. Hopefully this will resolve this frustrating issue once and for all.

By the way, if you happen to be at the Peabody Memorial Day parade tomorrow, say hi. I will be one of the Civil War geeks (the one with Sgt stripes) blasting my Euro 1853 Enfield every 100 yards or so.

600 Yds anyone

@100 yards

First target: After shot one (off the bench), I clicked right a couple, then fired four shots. Three went through the same hole!

Second target: Three shots prone. Two through the same hole.

Winchester brass, 175 gr SMK over 42 gr Reloader 15. Avg MV of 2615 fps

JR

Nice Job and i was there to see it and absolutly love that camo paint job it looks
like it was done at a factory and as our friend Jerry says " shes a Keeepa"

See you tues JR Sheriff Dudley aka AL

I also have B-Square base and rings. The base was also locktite blued and have no problem with it. The rings are another story. They come loose all the time. They're driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

hoprfully the Locktite will be he answer for the base. The Warne rings are rocks. Not easy to get on and off, but once on, they ain't a goin nowheres!

You have a screw loose!

When I was talking to Sheriff Dudley about putting bases for scope on my rifle. Al suggested using women's nail color, enamel with bonding agent. The screws on my base never loosened.
I think that this method is cheaper and easier to remove if needed in the future.

Great job! Inspiring me to try something w/ my Savage shortie 308..
But a question.. Did you do any sort of final clear coat? Any cracking peeling or flaking issues?

If your screws are loosening you might not be torquing them down high enough. If you don't reach the spec'ed torque preload for the screw it will never stay tight with out a locking agent.

Gun looks great thought, The camo looks like the anti star light camo the military uses.

Nice

I have some enamel matte clear, but I wanted to use epoxy. Still looking. So far a few small marks on the fore end of the stock from being knocked around some. I actually don't mind it. Looks well-used. Nothing has come off the barrel, or other metal as yet.

The scope base seems secure now with the locktite blue. Unfortunately my scope's elevation is malfunctioning, so I will have to bail on Sunday's 3X600 at Reading. You know, the one I've been looking forward to for months... jesus H christ. No I do not own another scope for 600 yards, just a fixed 4X EER I use on my "scout" Mauser. No $$$ for a new one right now either. The old one went back to Bushy for a warranty fix. Until now, that scope has been awesome. Too bad. Life bites sometimes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom