7.62X39 questions

mac1911

NES Member
I have come across some 7.62x39 ammo. I dont really understand the difference

Egyptian Ball ammo ? 7.80/20
yugo- brass cased on clips 40 rounds to box. 9.25/40
yugo- 1260rnd sealed tin....steel/brass unknown 6.30/20
Barnoul brand 5.87/20

Im not familure with Egypt ammo or Barnoul ammo.
I have shot mostly Wolf and silver bear ammo?

Any imput

If I recall correctly, Egyptian ammo is corrosive as hell so clean accordingly.

Barnaul ammo is Russian and is considered to be very good/excellent ammo. I have shot it in .223 and X39 and it is accurate and sure fire stuff. Its non corrosive commercial ammo.

I don't believe all Yugo ammo is corrosive. Jack at Collector's gallery has 1260-round crates of sealed, brass-cased Yugo ammo and when I asked him about it he told me it was not corrosive.

The only non corrosive Yugo 7.62x39 is the HCC import M67 which isn't common these days... this is stuff that came in during the 80's. All mil ammo is corrosive... the stuff in the crates is mil ammo.

I don't believe all Yugo ammo is corrosive. Jack at Collector's gallery has 1260-round crates of sealed, brass-cased Yugo ammo and when I asked him about it he told me it was not corrosive.

All imported military suplus 7.62x39 that I've ever seen in my life is corrosive.

I doubt that the stuff he has is not corrosive and I wouldn't bet the barrel of my gun on his word. If you are using it, try the bright nail test with it.....then clean your gun/s as if it were corrosive.

well if its the same as most of the 1260 rd crates that are going around online like this:

http://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammunition.html

its corrosive.

Hmmm...that's what the ammo cases looked like. Oh well, even if it is corrosive, I think I'm going to pick it up simply because I can get 1260 rounds of brass-cased ammo for about the same price as 1,000 new brass cases would cost. Someday I'm going to get myself a reloading setup.

All mil ammo is corrosive... the stuff in the crates is mil ammo.

Barnaul used to have ammo packed like that which wasn't corrosive. It was in plain white boxes inside a big wooden crate... I think they had sub-boxes which held a bunch of 20s. )

-Mike

Barnaul used to have ammo packed like that which wasn't corrosive. It was in plain white boxes inside a big wooden crate... I think they had sub-boxes which held a bunch of 20s. )

-Mike

I was referring to the non commercial Yugo M67.

Yes, that stuff he has up there MOST CERTAINLY IS corrosive. As long as you clean thoroughly and immediately you'd probably be okay shooting it. Personally though, I'm not going to chance corrosive through a higher end AK, like one of my Legends.

Hmmm...that's what the ammo cases looked like. Oh well, even if it is corrosive, I think I'm going to pick it up simply because I can get 1260 rounds of brass-cased ammo for about the same price as 1,000 new brass cases would cost. Someday I'm going to get myself a reloading setup.

If you're going to buy this stuff with the intention of reloading it, don't. It's Berdan not Boxer primed, thus making it very difficult if not impossible to reload.

All imported military suplus 7.62x39 that I've ever seen in my life is corrosive.

I doubt that the stuff he has is not corrosive and I wouldn't bet the barrel of my gun on his word. If you are using it, try the bright nail test with it.....then clean your gun/s as if it were corrosive.

I have a bunch of South African x39 that isn't corrosive..

What is the bright nail test ?

I have a bunch of South African x39 that isn't corrosive..

What is the bright nail test ?

The bright nail test : Take a scrap of wood and bang three steel (non coated, non galvanized, otherwise known as bright nails) nails into it leaving them out about an inch.

Pull the bullet and dump the powder on a round of ammo in question, then pull and dump one that is known to be NON corrosive.

Load the non corrosive shell into the gun first and fire it pointing the muzzle (about 1 inch away) at the head of the middle nail, then fire the one in question at one of the end nails and leave the other nail as is.

It is important to fire the non corrosive one first so the second one isn't contaminated by any salts left in the barrel from the potentially corrosive round.

Be sure to mark which is which. Place the piece of wood outside in the weather for a few days. The nail that has had a corrosive primer fired at it should rust up faster than the other two, if it was in fact a corrosive primer. If it wasn't, it shoud rust at the same rate as the one that was known to be NON corrosive.

Be sure to clean your gun as if it were corrosive until you confirm the test.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bright nail test : Take a scrap of wood and bang three steel (non coated, non galvanized, otherwise known as bright nails) nails into it leaving them out about an inch.

Pull the bullet and dump the powder on a round of ammo in question, then pull and dump one that is known to be NON corrosive.

Load the non corrosive shell into the gun first and fire it pointing the muzzle (about 1 inch away) at the head of the middle nail, then fire the one in question at one of the end nails and leave the other nail as is.

It is important to fire the non corrosive one first so the second one isn't contaminated by any salts left in the barrel from the potentially corrosive round.

Be sure to mark which is which. Place the piece of wood outside in the weather for a few days. The nail that has had a corrosive primer fired at it should rust up faster than the other two, if it was in fact a corrosive primer. If it wasn't, it shoud rust at the same rate as the one that was known to be NON corrosive.

Be sure to clean your gun as if it were corrosive until you confirm the test.

Wow. Can't I just pick up the phone and call someone?

ill never understand the big deal that people make out of corrosive ammo.

all you have to do is clean the rifle correctly afterwards. its basic maintenance.

ill never understand the big deal that people make out of corrosive ammo.

all you have to do is clean the rifle correctly afterwards. its basic maintenance.

I agree. Problem is, many many gun owners are undisciplined or lazy when it comes to cleaning and maintainance and don't clean their guns after use, or at least quickly enough after shooting to prevent corrosion.

I shoot it and clean my guns as soon as I get home.

Its good to know what ammo is and isn't corrosive though, in case somone else shoots some of it while at the range.

Back
Top Bottom