7 days fishing in Northern VT 8/16 - 8/22

Late report but I had an adventurous week up north.

We left on Sat night at 2 am and arrived at the ramp on Keeler bay at 6:30 am. Fished around all day. Mostly looking for green fish. Found some good fish. Got to the cabin around 4 pm promptly jumped in the lake, had a beer and passed out on the porch looking out on the lake... Ahhhhhhhh

Munday, we went looking for brown and green fish. Had a tough time. Could not catch a fish over 2 lbs. Not good. Ran up to City reef, nothin there, then over to Carry Bay, lots of small green fish. Went out and farted around the islands, lots of small fish. Still fun though. Was able to drink more than one beer this night before passing out.

Tuesday we went to Iroquis lake. Got a bit turned around and lost geting there so were a bit late. Very windy day, not very familiar with the lake. Caught a few decent largies and one good one over 4 lbs. All swimming the jig around emergent vegitation.

Wednesday went back to Iroquis, Got there around 7. Hammered them today. Best 5 were pushing 20 lbs. Scale at the end of the day was bouncing between 18-7 and 19-14. My best day ever. But..... In my excitement after dumping the fish back I forgot to pull up my trolling motor. Where is that water coming from? O Crap!!! Pull back on the throttle, bow settles and SNAP!!! TM is under the boat. WTF? Idiot move!!! Broke the gator mount and the cables for the steering. Got it patched back up for friday.

Thursday no fishing as a result of stupidity.

Friday Official practice day for TBF state qualifying tourney. Went looking for more main lake smallies. Did not have much luck, more small fish and then TM started acting up. Powering up on its own. Got back to the cabin and took apart the lower unit and there was water in it. Patched it back together 1/2 hour before the pairings meeting.

Sat day one of SQT. Pretty windy went to my good Largie spot. Fish were sluggish and non commmital. Just nosing the jig and I was having a hard time fishing and controlling the boat. I missed 6 fish in an hour and a half. I would set the hook and only see a flash. We decided to try another spot. I had forgotten to unhook the kill switch lanyard when I stood up and the key broke. No spare. Oh crap #2. I cut up a spinnerbait wire and jury rig a new kill switch key. Holy crap it worked!!! We struggle the rest of the day with a couple small smallies and one decent largie. I weigh in 3 for 7 lbs, not good.

My second day non boater did not do well either. I ask him what he wants to do. We agree to to smallie "lunker hunting" Today the fish are stacked on my spots but not very active. He ends up with 1lbs though, most caught after 1 pm so I am happy I got him on fish. I catch a bunch of shorts. One about 2 lbs and one 4-3 smallie. On the way in my boat looses RPM's and speed like loosing a cylinder. Still not sure why, trying to trouble shoot it now.

Even with the troubles I had a great time with friends on the big lake.

Pics of fish from Wednesday on Iroquis

P8190024.jpg

P8190027.jpg

P8190026.jpg

P8190025.jpg

P8190029.jpg

View from the cabin porch at sunset

P8190034.jpg

Back
Top Bottom