77 SMK at 600???

I'm trying to keep things simple around here as I load for too durned many calibers as it is. I want to work up a load for my new NM AR that I've assembled from various spare parts I had laying around (don't laugh, it can happen to you too) and would rather not have to load different combos for every range distance. Can the 77s work across the course or are you all using 77s for the short and the 80s for 600?
I'm not putting my M1A away ladies, just toying with some new hardware.
TIA

Robert

I know some folks who only shoot 77's XTC but also admit 80's are better.

I use 75's for 200 / 300 and 80's for 600. Just really depends on how competitive you really want to be.

Robert,

I shot 77's at all three ranges all season last year. I know a few Marines who consistantly shoot in the 490's shoot 77 XTC. I will be shooting 80 gr this season at the 600. Just because of the tiny little wind advantage they give.

Tony you talking about me? [wink] With little wind 77's will shoot just as good as 80's. With Camp Perry wind 80's have the advantage, unless your a mirage and flag reading freak. [wink]

derek said:
Robert,

I shot 77's at all three ranges all season last year. I know a few Marines who consistantly shoot in the 490's shoot 77 XTC. I will be shooting 80 gr this season at the 600. Just because of the tiny little wind advantage they give.

Tony you talking about me? [wink] With little wind 77's will shoot just as good as 80's. With Camp Perry wind 80's have the advantage, unless your a mirage and flag reading freak. [wink]

You for one and C.J. and Daniel, and others.

The 80's do have an edge for wind but their biggest advatange is accuracy since 80's are loaded to the lands.

Aw geez, maybe I'll just stick with my trusty ol' 168s
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm actually afraid of liking my new NM AR after spending so much on my M1A. Silly me even just finished collecting all the parts needed for a spare M1A. If only I had read Zediker last year.........

7.62 vs 5.56 really depends on just how hard the wind is blowing. Personally, I've had almost 34 years to adjust to the AR-15/M16, and still don't really do well with them (I do manage to qualify, though). I'll stick to my trusty M14 or M1.

And, for 600, I'll use 175's.

Just picked up my M1A and "spare" barreled receiver (M1A) from Gus Norcross' (http://www.angusarms.com) the other night and while bs'ing, he pulled out a box of 80s which I got for a song. When I got home and compared the 77s to 80s it's not hard to imagine why the 80s are so accurate. The look like needles.
Once I make Master with the M1A then I'll pick up the AR and go for Gee-Oh-Dee status :D

Back
Top Bottom