870 Dimple removal (adding extended magazine)

Boghog1

NES Member
Looking to see if anyone has the tool that Brownells sells for Dimple removal, I know I can drill or dremel them out but this should look a little more professional

I removed some from mine by using a hardwood dowel I turned on a lathe with a tapered end. Used a combination of tapping the dowel down the tube and tapping the dent with a ballpean.... unfortunately I no longer have it.....[crying]

I used a snug fitting socket and a small body work type hammer and just worked it out. You can also just drill it out with a drill bit a tad bigger

So I went to do the socket method and low and behold my 870 Express is apparently one of the old ones it has no dimple, I know I bought it back in the 80s but I assumed they had already started to dimple them

I used a snug fitting socket and a small body work type hammer and just worked it out. You can also just drill it out with a drill bit a tad bigger

you put the socket in the tube and hit said socket with a hammer?
the dimples just pop off?

you put the socket in the tube and hit said socket with a hammer?
the dimples just pop off?

Yeah I did this a couple weeks ago as well. Make sure you lube the socket well, mine had a little trouble getting it out of the magazine tube after.

the dimples just pop out afterward.

The dimples don't effect the use of a plug during hunting season, do they?
If so, I may hold off on this.....

A question I have regarding this issue is this.

I have an 870 that I'd like to extend the tube as said above, but I would also like to use it with the other barrels I have. The dimple keeps the detent cup in place for the magazine cap to stay put. I know on older style barrels there are detents built into the collar that goes around the magazine tube.

How do I keep the magazine cap in place with the barrels with out the detent? More over, if I wanted to NOT use the extended tube.

I know that the "simple" answer is to buy another 870, but I don't see that in the cards.

Last edited:
I dont know how to clearify this. I did not use the socket to force the dimple out. I used the socket as a backer and lightly worked the dimple out with a small body hammer... much like body shops use hammer and block to remove dents.

there is no reason if you are careful to use a socket to force the dimple out. Heck the tool midway sells does the same thing. Also you can drill the imple right out also... My dimple was nothing more than a round pin punch looking thing...a sharp dent so to speak. My friends newer express has a square dent

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom