9/11 Where Were You?

Junior year in High School, in History class. We had been watching a video when another teacher came in and told our teacher to turn on the news. We watched live as the second plane hit. When I saw that, I remembered that my dad was traveling for business that day. Fortunately, he was diverted to Detroit.

It's weird how I remember that day. I can't remember what we were watching in class, or even what teacher came in to say put the news on (maybe I was still half asleep), but every second after that is burned into my memory.

Last edited:
I remember right where I was when it happened, but what I remember most was when it seemed "real"

I lived in Shirley Ma, right off 2a and I use to get home late and sit on the front porch for hours with my girlfriend and smoke cigarettes.... you could always here and see the Logan traffic over head, and at night once the car traffic died down you could always here the engines winding down as they prepaired to land. That night, the silence was deafening.

My "girlfriend" is now my wife and neither of us have ever smoked another cigarette

Last edited:
well I was in the middle of cleaning one of my glocks when... no.. Im just kidding. I was in 8th grade at a catholic elementary school and Sister Elizabeth looked like she say christ himself when she came in the classroom to tell us.

I was just leaving the dentist office heading to work. Heard it just as I got into the car, the second one happened on the ride to work. Not much work got done that day and people were just kind of wandering around with a glazed look on their faces.

I told her she needed to go take her meds and that I loved her but she was crazy.

Crazy grandmother that wasn't so crazy. Reminds me of another, forty years ago this coming March, when my grandmother called my mother in hysterics that there had been an explosion. My mother also thought she was crazy. That was the Sponge Rubber (formerly BF Goodrich) arson in Shelton. They blew up a two-and-a-half block long factory, and almost lost downtown to the fire. My grandmother lived at the time in Derby, a couple of houses up from the old HoJo's at the bend in 34, so the plant was around a half mile away.

Unlike what happened thirteen years ago, the motive was plain old greed: an attempt to cash in on a $60 million insurance policy.

I had planned to work in the morning, then go surf in the afternoon, it was a beautiful day and there was really good head high+ swell coming in. Wound up sitting in Zestos Pizza in Hampton NH watching it unfold on TV, sick to my stomach.

To this day I think about 9/11 every time I drive past that pizza place, or go inside.

As many others mentioned, I was listening to Howard Stern in the tow truck when the first reports came in.
A few minutes later I picked up a job, a woman who broke down coming from the airport after dropping off her dad.
She wasn't listening to the radio and had no idea what had happened yet until she got into my truck.
When the news came over that both planes which hit the Trade Center were were from Boston bound to LA, she freaked out because that's where her dad was headed, but she didn't know his flight number.
It's possible he was on one of those flights but I'll never know.
My SIL was a buyer for Chadwicks and had a lot of friends at TJX, three of which were bridesmaids at her wedding and were on one of those planes. I met them at the wedding but didn't remember them by name, she pointed them out to me in the wedding photos.
Also, I know a woman that worked as a flight attendant for American Airlines, flight 11 was her regular route.
However, as fate would have it, she was NOT on the plane that day because she had begun a vacation week on Monday Sept 10.
But all the other regular crew members she normally worked with were working that day. [sad2]
She quit her job after that.
As for the Howard Stern broadcast, it was absolutely riveting, he stayed on the air all day and I listened to the end.

When the second plane hit . My teacher you could tell was angry . The head shop teacher(I was in shop that week) told him he should shut the tv off.

He told his boss he's a ****ing idiot and the kids have a right to know what's going on.

Like I said in my last post that teacher was a vet. He told us we where going to go to war.
Because of this attack and basically new at that point it would be a misguided war that would do any thing . Said the attack would be used to take away freedom. And we would be on a full blown war that there's no way to win that would make the US broke . Basically said only thing we should do is figure out who did this and use the CIA or special forces to take them out.

I ran into that teacher last year and brought this up. How he was right. He basiclu said after nam war was changed and we didn't adapt to the changes .

I was doing desktop support at Simmons College in Boston. To get to our office we had to walk thru the Media Center where there was a glassed in room with ~8 monitors pulling various channels off satellite. They could feed the many TVs hanging in the hallways of the various buildings. Our Mac expert spent most of his work time cruising AOL news and other sites. He called us over to see pictures of the 1st plane hitting the tower. Myself and others initially thought it was a small plane, once we determined that it wasn't the case, we all walked out to the Media Center and watched the live feed on CNN of the 2nd tower getting hit, etc. We spent a few hours standing there, then they shut down the college. I called my Wife, who worked in another part of Boston and told her to get out. Went to Ruggles Station to wait for the commuter rail and met up with one of our town's elected committee members (he is/was one of the finance executives at NU). It was some somber conversations on a very overcrowded train!

I had started a vacation in Florida I arrived on the evening of the 10th, I remember getting to Disney and only being there a few minutes before they closed due to security concerns. it also eliminated my flight home ended up taking a 32 hour bus ride and we went through NY and all you could see where the two colums of smoke where the building used to be

I was a work when I got a call from my father. My brother, Brian had called from United 175 and talked to our mother after he had also left a message for his wife addressing the situation. This rest is, well, history.

Sorry for your loss.

Midtown Manhattan, was walking across 5th ave as the first plane hit and saw the second hit out my office window, later the collapse of the buildings as well with my own eyes. You couldn't actually see the buildings collapse, the just were enveloped in a cloud of smoke. But everyone knew what was happening as it happened. When I finally got back to my apartment I watched TV for about 24 straight hours, then shut it off and won't watch coverage pertaining to the event to this day.

When the second plane hit . My teacher you could tell was angry . The head shop teacher(I was in shop that week) told him he should shut the tv off.

He told his boss he's a ****ing idiot and the kids have a right to know what's going on.

Like I said in my last post that teacher was a vet. He told us we where going to go to war.
Because of this attack and basically new at that point it would be a misguided war that would do any thing . Said the attack would be used to take away freedom. And we would be on a full blown war that there's no way to win that would make the US broke . Basically said only thing we should do is figure out who did this and use the CIA or special forces to take them out.

I ran into that teacher last year and brought this up. How he was right. He basiclu said after nam war was changed and we didn't adapt to the changes .

What is your teacher's NES screen name?

By 1200 I was activated for deployment with DMAT MA2. Spent the night locked down at Stewart AFB. 9/12 I was setting up comm for my team around the site.

I was driving my son to his first day of preschool and listening to Howard Stern which is where I heard about the first plane hitting the World Trade Center. My wife and I were torn with mixed emotions that morning leaving my son behind at preschool for the first time with such a tragic event in motion. I worked for Sun Microsystems at the time and sadly one of our directors, Phil Rosenzweig, was on one of the planes that hit the towers.
http://hellers.ws/memory/phil_rosenzweig.shtml

I was driving to my office when I heard the news of the first plane. Stopped at Dunkin Donuts on rt 27 in Wayland to grab a coffee and watch the TV. Watched as the second plane hit. Then I drove to my parents house to watch the TV for the rest of the day. I think of that day every time I drive by that Dunkin Donuts.

My parents had just left 3 days earlier for a 3 week trip to Europe and I was house sitting for them. My parents were in the English country side and didn't find out about the attack until late in the day. My father finally finds out and finds a phone. He gets on the phone with me and says "I leave the country for the first time in my entire life and look what happens! I hope you guys can keep it together until I get home!"

I also found out later that day that my second cousin, Paige Farley Hackel, was on flight 11. Oprah ran a whole segment on her and her friend. And funny how a few months ago, I ran into a 9/11 truther who brought her name up to me, without knowing she was my cousin. He went on and on about how she didn't exist and the whole story about her and her best friend was a government scam and that her husband was an actor paid by the government. When he finished his rant, I said "Well, She was my cousin, and I haven't seen her at any family Christmas parties since 9/11. Haven't seen her at July 4th cookouts. I know she existed. And haven't seen her since." Flakes everywhere.

http://phproductions.net/?page_id=43

Last edited:
What is your teacher's NES screen name?
I wouldn't be shocked if he was on Nes lol.
Him and his buddies get a live turkey each year and put it in a wooden trough high enough it's head sticks out. Who ever gets a head shot keeps the meat.

Guy showed us how to make knifes in school .

5th grade IIRC. No recess that day, speaks volumes.

Jfc al you just made me feel old I lost my v card and you where still shooting blanks

Last edited:
I had just arrived at work when a foil hat wearing dingbat of a co-worker who no one took seriously told me about the first plane. I totally dismissed it, but when I couldn't access a single news website, I wheeled out a TV. I turned it on just in time to see the second plane hit. It was an A/V technical support call center that handled more than 1000 inbound phone calls a day. That day fewer than 50 people called.

Cannon Beach Oregon. Went out to Portland to see about relocating and getting a job with my then employer out there. I spent a couple days at Cannon Beach. Was supposed to fly home on the 12th. Turned on the TV in time to see the second plane hit. Sat in the hotel room by myself and watched the coverage for hours until I just had to get out of the room. The hotel could let me stay 2 more nights until the next guests arrived. So I finally just went to the airport since I had no place else to go. I remember stopping to mail my knife and any other newly prohibited items home. Got to the airport. Hertz kindly did not charge me for the extra days. National guard everywhere in the nearly deserted airport. I slept on the floor for a few hours until the got me on a flight.

I remember the captain coming on to address the passengers. He had an non European accent and the guy sitting next to me said "Oh that's not very reassuring!"

Made it home. Never went back to Oregon even though I had gone out there 5 years in a row and still love the state.

My SIL was a buyer for Chadwicks and had a lot of friends at TJX, three of which were bridesmaids at her wedding and were on one of those planes.

An old girlfriend of mine worked at TJX at that time and worked closely with those women. From what I understand, they would divide travel obligations, and it was just random chance that she wasn't on the plane, as well.

On the deck of the USS Yorktown Cg-48 in Pascagoula, MS. Four hours later we where underway and part of Operation Noble Eagle. As we entered the channel to leave we looked at the USS Cole sitting there with a hole in her side waiting to be repaired.

We actually saw Air Force one fly over us that night. It was an hour to protect our nation that night and those next two weeks. People do not realize the air defense we set up all around the country. From ships to planes there was no inch not covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just coming out of an account .
Turned on the radio just in time to hear Stern say, "We're under attack."
Didn't find out till the next day that one of my wife's co-workers husband and a gal we both went to school with were each on the two planes that hit the towers.

I was on a work trip in Holland. couldn't get back to the US for almost 2 weeks after 9/11.

I worked for BU as a second shift IT guy; I was asleep when my phone woke me up. A buddy of mine called and said to put on FOX. When I went into work that afternoon, I broke down in tears watching a car dealership lowering their colors to half mast. It was a very long night and I didn't do much work. I remember getting gas, because the prices hadn't gone up....yet.

Back
Top Bottom