A Champion for Youth Hunting . . .

bilde

A worker puts finishing touches on an elevated deer blind on land owned by Bob Pucci near Ladysmith where free family deer hunting opportunities are available. Pucci said he's installed 10 blinds on the 500-plus-acre property at a cost of more than $1,000 apiece. Participants must register in advance to schedule use of the blinds. Up to 15 additional blinds are expected to be added in future years. Special to Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers (Add your own camouflage?)

Advocate Pucci takes stand for youth hunting

By Jim Lee
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

LADYSMITH — Bob Pucci continues his lonely quixotic quest to preserve Wisconsin's hunting traditions by providing prime hunting opportunities for families.

The 59-year-old vagabond — reachable only by telephone — has been providing free goose hunting opportunities in the Horicon area for nearly 20 seasons.

This year, he leased more than 500 acres near Ladysmith in Rusk County and expanded his reach into deer hunting.

"The property is loaded with deer, bear and turkey," he said. "I just got the land, which contains 4 miles of logging roads, in August. We put up 10 blinds along the roads where deer activity is numerous. The blinds are built for two people, with six windows and chairs to sit on.

"The blinds are already filled for opening weekend, but if someone wants to bring their son or daughter to hunt during the week, the second weekend or even during the muzzleloading season, there are still some openings."

Pucci provides the place to hunt, and participants pay for their lodging in a nearby community.

"I've made arrangements with a motel in Chetek — about 32 miles from where the land is located — to provide a room for two at $50 a night," Pucci said.

Pucci and his black Labrador retriever Rocco are well-recognized figures in Wisconsin hunting circles. He sponsors and promotes dozens of gun shows annually throughout the state.

"It's through my gun shows that I get the money to do this," he said. "People may not know it, but everyone who attends one of my gun shows is contributing to my National Take A Kid Hunting Foundation."

Pucci is founder, president and sole supporter of the foundation.

"I could never ask people for money," he said. "I wasn't raised that way."

According to his estimates, Pucci spends $40,000 to $50,000 annually on land leases and other expenses to provide free youth hunting activities.

"I have about 100 acres near Big Muskego Lake southwest of Milwaukee that I obtained for deer hunting, but it didn't work out," he said. "Once the shooting started, all the deer ran into an adjacent marsh, and you needed hip boots to hunt them.

"That's when I began looking for land near Ladysmith. It's ideal habitat and it's accessible."

Accessibility is important to Pucci, who is semi-disabled with bad knees and back. He typically uses a cane or powered cart to get around. The Ladysmith property will accommodate vehicles, which facilitates the placement of hunters and the ability to check on them.

"This is a herd-control area, which means hunters can get all the doe tags they want," Pucci said.

To make reservations for a deer or goose hunting blind, hunters should call (608) 752-6677, but don't expect to find Pucci on the end of the line. Leave a message and he will return calls.

"I have a house in Janesville, but I'm hardly ever there," he said.

Pucci appreciates the built-in tidiness of motel living.

"Once the gun deer season concludes, I'll be hitting the road again, going from motel to motel with my gun shows," he said.

As always, he'll be keeping an eye out for desirable, affordable sites where his vision of providing hunting opportunities for youths can be expanded. He is training aides to continue the mission.

"I'm trying to get this all set up before something happens to me," he said.

Jim Lee is an outdoors writer for Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers. E-mail him at [email protected]

(More on Bob Pucci to follow.)

Back
Top Bottom