• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

a frustrating day - need help to sort it out.

paul73

NES Member
I need help here to sort it out what is going wrong, as something got unwired in my head. it is indeed a perishable skill, no doubt about that.

i was zeroing 2 scopes today, then proceeded to shoot my 6.5CM bergara rifle. it is set on the XLR chassis, bag rider, set on the bipod i am pressing into. i did not shoot it since may be march.

shooting at 100yds my .22lr CZ i get groups like that, and reasonably enough I expect something similar from my 6.5CM PRS style rifle. so, below is the 10 shots from cz457. not a greatest group, but, an ok one for my level - something i am able to reproduce more or less consistently from group to group.
i shoot it in a standard style having left hand on the bag under the stock grabbing part of the stock and controlling/squeezing the bag. shoulder presses into the stock, rifle is on the bipod.
cz457.jpg

so, under the the same approach on the larger caliber bergara rifle - i get something like that, also consistently. it kinda pisses me off, as i cannot catch what goes wrong. this was the end of the day target, i was tired by that time and was experimenting with different grips - tried to loosen up a bit also and it was the result - similar to how the session began. i wasted total of 80 something match grade 6.5CM rounds there today, so the butt kicking there is not coming up cheap.
bergara_rest.jpg
after some stress and altering holds, before that target above i started just adjusting bag under rider on stock to an appx good position to minimize the 8 movement, then i would leave it there and move left hand to grab chassis under the scope and relatively strongly vice the whole thing into the shoulder also pressing hard into the cheek rider - a thing i was taught NOT to do, ages ago, as it is NOT how you supposed to shoot to get consistent results, but, doing it i have managed to get a group like this one below, but again with a typical flier to the left a first shot - mostly due to overvicing the thing:
bergara_best.jpg
still, 4 last shots went where they were supposed to.

then i tried to do a similar grip, but with less vicing and a hand grabbing top of the scope pressing down and pulling it back- shit went to the left with one flier.
bergara_best2.jpg

so it was in total 80 or so 6.5CM rounds spent today with a minimal satisfaction.
i feel that every time i do not vice the rifle and get it even a slight bit too loose under some threshold - shots go up/down to the side on the left. why does it go to the left like that?
a trigger there is #1.5 triggertech one, extremely light. i work it with a tip of the finger, as it should be done.

all that is done from a bipod on spikes, it should be relatively solid, but after each shot rifle gets a fair amount of a vertical jolt - as it is a larger caliber thing. i feel that the way how i position a bag under the bag rider on the stock must be wrong, or may be i do not do enough pressure into the cheek rider? but how hard should it be?

it must be a wrong technique somewhere, but i am missing it. why the hell the bergara does this glock thing on me? :)
i start suspecting now that may be i get some sort of an unconscious muscle spasm in my right hand/shoulder in the anticipation of the recoil, as it is ridiculous. just cannot catch what happens.
like those 2 fliers all the way down in the center target - feck it that 3 went slightly up left - but how the hell 2 others went so far down? so weird.

this larger caliber precision shooting stuff with much more recoil is new to me, obviously. i assume it has to be the better way to handle the recoil, but - what is it?

Last edited:
started reading the net on those topics - and saw a notion that a horizontal stringing may be due to the loose chassis bolts.
checked the chassis - and the motherfecking front bolt was totally loose - rotating freely.
set it on the blue loctite and tightened it to the spec, will see how it will show itself next time i find time to get to the range.

barrel was sitting on the one rear bolt only, pretty much. damn.

that or possibly check torque of various bolts that secure the action/stock

consistent cheek weld/setting up scope properly is huge

if the shooter hasnt done basic set up of bubba'd close cell foam/tape on the stock to get correct cheek weld/eye box set up then I wouldnt expect consistency
i went over all fecking bolts now - all but one in the front of the XLR chassis were fine. no clue how the front bolt got loose. it is really unusual, i hope it is not something that is going to be an issue with xlr element 3. the bolt hole there goes right into the action, btw, it is a through hole. may be it gets a bit of gas pushed into it at the shot, the bolt base was covered in soot.
and still not sure if that was the only issue, but, seems like it would be a huge contributing factor to the issue of going to the left, at least.

scope mount and rail bolts are fine - checked.

basic setup was fine - rifle was shooting 1/3 moa in the spring. and i did not take it apart since. i guess now i will make it a checklist item to torque check those chassis bolts every time before going out, even if it seems to be quite retarded.
the action does warm up very considerably there, where that bolt sits. i guess it may be the issue. dunno.

Last edited:
Are you shooting reloads tailored to that rifle?

If not you're giving up a lot of accuracy.
i was shooting CMP match ammo, it was pretty consistent, with 140gr hornady bullets. i was able to stock up the max allowed 1k of them before price jumped up.

You should reload and do a seating depth ladder test at .003" increments to identify barrel harmonic nodes.
i cannot agree more. i should and i will - eventually. right now there is no space to plant the reloading station in the house, it is not anything i can overcome yet.

i did an initial speed test on those cmp rounds with a guy at the range who had the meter and the 10 rounds we went through from 3 different boxes i had were all within 12fps deviation or so, for a stock bought rounds it is good enough. as of now to keep pressing the point of having custom made reloads is pointless - i am aware it is needed.
ammo is adequate - with those rounds in hand to see vertical jumps of 4 inches was not truly expected.

i was obsessed about my own handling possible faults - frankly i still think it may be plenty of that issue as an another factor, will see after the next test.

Last edited:
I need help here to sort it out what is going wrong, as something got unwired in my head. it is indeed a perishable skill, no doubt about that.

i was zeroing 2 scopes today, then proceeded to shoot my 6.5CM bergara rifle. it is set on the XLR chassis, bag rider, set on the bipod i am pressing into. i did not shoot it since may be march.

shooting at 100yds my .22lr CZ i get groups like that, and reasonably enough I expect something similar from my 6.5CM PRS style rifle. so, below is the 10 shots from cz457. not a greatest group, but, an ok one for my level - something i am able to reproduce more or less consistently from group to group.
i shoot it in a standard style having left hand on the bag under the stock grabbing part of the stock and controlling/squeezing the bag. shoulder presses into the stock, rifle is on the bipod.
View attachment 531938

so, under the the same approach on the larger caliber bergara rifle - i get something like that, also consistently. it kinda pisses me off, as i cannot catch what goes wrong. this was the end of the day target, i was tired by that time and was experimenting with different grips - tried to loosen up a bit also and it was the result - similar to how the session began. i wasted total of 80 something match grade 6.5CM rounds there today, so the butt kicking there is not coming up cheap.
View attachment 531939
after some stress and altering holds, before that target above i started just adjusting bag under rider on stock to an appx good position to minimize the 8 movement, then i would leave it there and move left hand to grab chassis under the scope and relatively strongly vice the whole thing into the shoulder also pressing hard into the cheek rider - a thing i was taught NOT to do, ages ago, as it is NOT how you supposed to shoot to get consistent results, but, doing it i have managed to get a group like this one below, but again with a typical flier to the left a first shot - mostly due to overvicing the thing:
View attachment 531943
still, 4 last shots went where they were supposed to.

then i tried to do a similar grip, but with less vicing and a hand grabbing top of the scope pressing down and pulling it back- shit went to the left with one flier.
View attachment 531945

so it was in total 80 or so 6.5CM rounds spent today with a minimal satisfaction.
i feel that every time i do not vice the rifle and get it even a slight bit too loose under some threshold - shots go up/down to the side on the left. why does it go to the left like that?
a trigger there is #1.5 triggertech one, extremely light. i work it with a tip of the finger, as it should be done.

all that is done from a bipod on spikes, it should be relatively solid, but after each shot rifle gets a fair amount of a vertical jolt - as it is a larger caliber thing. i feel that the way how i position a bag under the bag rider on the stock must be wrong, or may be i do not do enough pressure into the cheek rider? but how hard should it be?

it must be a wrong technique somewhere, but i am missing it. why the hell the bergara does this glock thing on me? :)
i start suspecting now that may be i get some sort of an unconscious muscle spasm in my right hand/shoulder in the anticipation of the recoil, as it is ridiculous. just cannot catch what happens.
like those 2 fliers all the way down in the center target - feck it that 3 went slightly up left - but how the hell 2 others went so far down? so weird.

this larger caliber precision shooting stuff with much more recoil is new to me, obviously. i assume it has to be the better way to handle the recoil, but - what is it?
You still should've been able to hit the chains on the steel plates.😁

I have one rifle, I run the rear action screw hand tight. If I bring up the torque, groups go to hell.

went to retest - i can say issue is fixed, more or less.
there was a bit of wind from the right today, so, i left it as is for now. will correct it next time when it will be no wind at all.

1634667592338.png

A good article about same issue I had with my .308 and to less degree 6.5cm.
A crossed arms hold with left hand on a sand bag is not really working well, compared to a grip at a forend.

Back
Top Bottom