• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A rifle caliber that you can get semi auto for that will do for any animal in the USA

Browning BAR in .30-06. No, not the one from the old days.

I have a Browning Safari BAR in 30-06 and are also chambered in quite a few other more powerful calibers. With "FACTORY" loads it will hold less than 8" five shot groups at 400 yds. I think it weighs 9 pounds less scope. My M-4 5.56 with a WOA Varmint upper weighs 11 pounds with scope, rings, tripod and sling. It shoots less than a dime for 5 shots at 100 yds.

Last edited:
I did a quick search and couldn't find extended mags (more than 4 rounds) for the modern BAR. Anyone know if they exist?

The mag door folds up into the receiver and locks via spring loaded slide release. It swings down towards the muzzle. I have an extra mag which was kept on my belt. Last time I hunted with the rifle was 1995. I should probably unload the mags. Not.

If your hunting medium to large game 30-06 is a tried and true round. Your choice of rifles are also wide. 300 Win mag and 338 are expensive rounds.

Another consideration... Availability of ammunition. You can buy 30-06 ammunition virtually anywhere in North America. I reload my 30-06... but stuff happens, and you never know when you'll have to buy more, or replace the ammunition you take with you on a trip. e.g. Lost baggage, re-sight in scope, etc.

Hey hunters,
Can you suggest a rifle caliber that you can get semi auto for that will do for any animal in the USA.

If you can recommend a rifle will be great.
Thanks
Not....gonna.....happen. Hunting long guns are tools. Can you be a mechanic with just one tool?

308 aint good for squirrels if you plan to eat them......need a 22lr or shotgun. Cant take a deer with a 22?

However......a 20 g shotgun will get you through just about every season in mass. Turkey squirrell rabbit pheasant then go with slugs for deer.

I browsed this post briefly but didnt see a few things mentioned. So, whats your budget? If your just looking for a hunting rifle and it doesn't need to be all "tacticool", what about a plain jane good ole Remington 742 woodsmaster? I've used them with great success in 30-06, 270, and 7mm express (280), and you can find them in just about any gunshop/pawnshop for under 500 easy. Not all that glamorous but they are a fine working/field rifle. Get one in 30-06, and with the right load matched to your quarry, the biggest variable for success is you.

I browsed this post briefly but didnt see a few things mentioned. So, whats your budget? If your just looking for a hunting rifle and it doesn't need to be all "tacticool", what about a plain jane good ole Remington 742 woodsmaster? I've used them with great success in 30-06, 270, and 7mm express (280), and you can find them in just about any gunshop/pawnshop for under 500 easy. Not all that glamorous but they are a fine working/field rifle. Get one in 30-06, and with the right load matched to your quarry, the biggest variable for success is you.

As long as you know how to service them, the chamber tends to get gunked up and prevent the bolt from functioning. It's generally fixable as long as you know what to look for and how to fix it.

Also, the rails the bolt ride on can get worn and start causing issues. I'm sure you know this having had several of them but the design does tend to be problematic after heavy use. I have not heard similar issues with the BAR.

There is allot of truth to what you are saying. The 742 had documented issues (not all of them) of the bolt rails galling. Me personally, I shoot the snot out of them and have had no issues, and I just do normal, routine maintenance on them like any prudent gun owner would. But....to address the concerns of the 742, there's a new and improved model (I think) maybe the 743? or Remington just addressed the concerns with the 742. Mine function fine, are dependable, and accurate, so I haven't found a need to replace or upgrade them. Aside from aesthetics, the 742 is a natural pointer, swings wonderfully and is a pleasure to carry afield. I just didn't get that same feeling from the BARs I've sampled, but to each his own.

+1 on the Browning BAR.

I have one from the mid-late 70's chambered in 30-06. It is wearing a nice Leupold scope and it is flat out awesome. My buddy has one in .308 that he also loves.

Here's a good article on them.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/self-defense/the-10-best-hunting-rifles-the-browning-bar-30-06/

Ok...every time someone is asking about something I find something else I want. Here is a little mor einfo on that BAR...I love this rifle...I don't even have one.....yet.lmao

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=002B

Jack Oconner wrote if a man had a 30'06, a 12 gauge and a .22 he could go any where in the world and hunt anything without handicapping himself (excluding African dangerous game). He wrote that more than fifty years ago and still true today. You can also walk into any ammo shop in the world where men hunt and find selection of ammo.

I don't enjoy recoil so although I have '06 I hunt with 308 more. But mine are light bolt guns. Heavier autos have less felt recoil. Before you buy see if you can try one out first.

Jack Oconner wrote if a man had a 30'06, a 12 gauge and a .22 he could go any where in the world and hunt anything without handicapping himself (excluding African dangerous game). He wrote that more than fifty years ago and still true today. You can also walk into any ammo shop in the world where men hunt and find selection of ammo.

I don't enjoy recoil so although I have '06 I hunt with 308 more. But mine are light bolt guns. Heavier autos have less felt recoil. Before you buy see if you can try one out first.

Fortunately I have no plans of visiting Africa so with the list you mentioned I should be all set for a while....lol Even so, I also have a 45-70 on my list....already put the bug in my wife's ear...[smile] Those would be two great rifles to bring to the range in the fall....

Another for 30-06.... It's sufficient for any game in north america. Sure it may not be the perfect choice in some cases. - but if you want a jack of all trades.... the 06 is it.

This. If you reload you can get close to 300 win mag. Or if shooting deer you can download so your recoil isn't as bad. If you use a lighter bullet you can reach out ant touch at long ranges.

Not sure why you'd want semi auto. For hunting bolt is perfectly fine and probably more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom