• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

You’re not a hunter if you don’t know what to do with the kill

MGnoob

NES Life Member
NES Member
This guy I know, who I don’t like. killed a beautiful buck on his father’s land. I guess he hung the thing without field dressing it and skinning it for 3 or 4 days because he was letting the meat “age”.

Have heard any of you ever heard something so stupid?

So you’re gonna kill this thing but you’re not gonna get your hands dirty?

It might take an hour to winch the hide off, and gut the thing.. i’m done cleaning other peoples kills for them, what a tragedy.

I bet if anything he gut shot the thing too.

I should post this in the clown world thread. so he’s a “hunter“… pathetic.

This guy I know, who I don’t like. killed a beautiful buck on his father’s land. I guess he hung the thing without field dressing it and skinning it for 3 or 4 days because he was letting the meat “age”.

Have heard any of you ever heard something so stupid?

So you’re gonna kill this thing but you’re not gonna get your hands dirty?

It might take an hour to winch the hide off, and gut the thing.. i’m done cleaning other peoples kills for them, what a tragedy.

I bet if anything he gut shot the thing too.

I should post this in the clown world thread. so he’s a “hunter“… pathetic.
Same but slightly different subject...

I've been paying attentiontion to quite a few deer hunting social media pages for the last couple months. It's kind of cool to see people posting kids first deer.....big bucks etc.

What is with the hunters in other states like TX, AR, and the Carolinas that don't field dress their Deer in the woods? I see tons of pix of deer at the check station or hanging in the garage fully intact. I've posted questions on these pages asking ans they all day we've always just gutted them at the house. Ffs why? Leave that shit Ina woods man! I tell them all that in New england we just gut them in the woods.

I've been paying attentiontion to quite a few deer hunting social media pages for the last couple months. It's kind of cool to see people posting kids first deer.....big bucks etc.

What is with the hunters in other states like TX, AR, and the Carolinas that don't field dress their Deer in the woods? I see tons of pix of deer at the check station or hanging in the garage fully intact. I've posted questions on these pages asking ans they all day we've always just gutted them at the house. Ffs why? Leave that shit Ina woods man! I tell them all that in New england we just gut them in the woods.
And it also provides good food for yotes, turkeys, and other wildlife.

That was my next question is, is he clearly didn’t bring this to a waystation… I get it he killed it during the holidays and nobody wants to deal with it. I get if you’re older and you’ve done it before and you just want to pay somebody to clean your animal and just get it all bagged up for you. But when you’re young you’re supposed to enjoy cleaning the thing… these kids they don’t know the laws they don’t do anything right and they don’t understand the point of the hunt.

The younger kid that I let Hunt up there I kept explaining to him that hey, that’s questionably legal, but at least he butchers it himself.. so I have no qualms about what he’s doing.

I understand just killing for the sake to kill like your mass murdering hogs, digging mass graves for the big ones… but the little ones are like cleaning a fish, and they taste like veal.

I just don’t understand killing a majestic animal for no reason. Mind you I’ve shot plenty of things and left them for dead, but that wasn’t hunting.

And it also provides good food for yotes, turkeys, and other wildlife.
Exactly. That’s what I do with all the carcasses after shotgun season and then I just exterminate the coyotes for fun. Most of their pallets are garbage anyway.

If you’re lucky enough to not have the goddamn coyotes, steal the hide while you’re working on it, you gotta put it around a tree with some chicken wire so they can’t take it right down and it’s the perfect kill spot to thin out the herd. I don’t eat coyote.

Being a member in a whole bunch of national and regional hunting groups on facebook ive realized that different regions do things different ways. In the south where its hot they skin and quarter animals right away and keep them in a cooler on ice until processing, some people swear by "gutless processing" where they quarter the whole animal without gutting it, some remove the hide right away when hanging an animal to cool it faster, personally i gut mine in the woods (throw the heart in a ziplock bag) and hang them in my garage with the hide on for a couple days if weather permits until processing, if its too warm i skin them, quarter them, wrap everything and put it in the garage fridge until processing.

One common denominator is that ive never met anyone who left the guts in a deer while hanging for a few days, that's breaking all the rules of proper food handling. However, it is his deer and he can do what he likes with it. I wouldn't recommend eating any if he's sharing though haha

I feel that proper care of an animal after taking its life is part of the hunting experience. I'm talking the whole process, right up to eating it.

These days I use the gutless method. It's very effective and required, given the distances and terrain we have to hike out. I have also enjoyed the journey of how to maximize yield. We try to find ways to make use of everything possible. It's our way of honoring the animal. We killed our first bear this year. We even hauled out most of the fat. I rendered it and we will use it all year for cooking.

Not only is processing your own animal fun, it's really not that hard.

I used to laugh at the "Nimrods" with the K-Bars that they said they needed for gutting the deer. I actually watch one jam that thing in the deer and rip the everything open. I just shook my head and told him to get that deer down to the brook "NOW" and get it washed out.
He later asked me what I use, and I showed him my Schrade Improved Muskat. To this day that is all I use. The skinning is done later, and I have special knives for that.

I used to laugh at the "Nimrods" with the K-Bars that they said they needed for gutting the deer. I actually watch one jam that thing in the deer and rip the everything open. I just shook my head and told him to get that deer down to the brook "NOW" and get it washed out.
He later asked me what I use, and I showed him my Schrade Improved Muskat. To this day that is all I use. The skinning is done later, and I have special knives for that.

I gut a deer using a single edge razor blade.

What was your reason for killing animals ?
Probably varmint control. I've killed my share of God damn woodchuck that were burrowing under my shed making the footings sink.....left em for dead in the woods. There are plenty of occasions where an animal just needs to be shot.

Same but slightly different subject...

Obviously the kill should be gutted clean as soon as possible........hanging a deer with guts in is retarded. Guts out though, and skin on under the right conditions (35-40 degrees) ....I've aged deer for 10 days in my garage that way hanging them, if its a big buck the longer the better.

Down south......most of these guys have ATV's or drive the truck right up to haul off game right from the field....no dragging. From there its right to a meat processor....not worth the time and mess of gutting.

There is a big sport shop in Rock Hill, SC that I was at one day in October, (mid week) and people were bringing more deer to it than the first Saturday of shotgun up here....like 10 deer came in the 20 mins I was there watching. Just goes to show you how fxcked the deer population is in MA vs. other states.

Anyway, hunter would take them out of the truck, skin the hoofs enough to tie them to anchors on the deck, the use the hoist to pull the deer up pulling all the skin off at the same time, grab a bucket and slit the deer open and guts drop in. Done. Spray off with hose, Deer was quartered and in the walk in deer cooler in minutes for the cost of 60 bucks. They would go have some lunch at the place and shop around while the deer was done and quarters cooled....throw them in the ice chest in the truck and drive off.....or they would pay 40 bucks more to have whatever cuts they wanted made, and pick up the next day.

Why don't they bother gutting, this is why. I did the same thing with my buck this year down there, daughters father drove it out with the ATV, we threw it in the rental truck....drove it to the processor......gave the meat to them, as I didn't need it, and didn't want deal with cooling it all the way back to MA.

Last edited:
I use a buck 110. I just make sure it's freshly sharpened before hunting season.

While I am a big fan of Buck knives I don’t like folders or clip point knives for dressing deer.

I much prefer a fixed blade with a drop point. They are easier to clean and a little more forgiving when it comes to poking holes in things. I use the Grohmann GR1. The handle may look funky but it fits my big mitts pretty well.

IMG_2220.jpeg

I gut a deer using a single edge razor blade.
When I hunted CT.....I used a little 2" skinner blade scalpel with replaceable blades. For got the name of the brand, but they would come in these little foil packs, and just quick change them out. When your doing like 7-8 deer a year personally and ,most of the time in our group, 2-3 deer a day (I would end up doing them a lot for my dad and others) ..............washing out a knife and having to sharpen it all the time was kinda a pain.

Got the idea from my taxidermist, its all he used to gut deer.........could really do fine work with it too if I needed to cape the deer as well. or you had an early season deer that had blown up a little and you needed to be careful.

Last edited:
While I am a big fan of Buck knives I don’t like folders or clip point knives for dressing deer.

I much prefer a fixed blade with a drop point. They are easier to clean and a little more forgiving when it comes to poking holes in things. I use the Grohmann GR1. The handle may look funky but it fits my big mitts pretty well.

View attachment 832905
Have one....sharp as a MOFO right out of the box!! My dad gave it to me.

If he's hanging it to age - then he's obviously wanting the meat and not just the kill (not everyone thinks deer are "majestic", lol). I can see not knowing how to field dress it and waiting till you're home to get YouTube reception for the directions. But anyone with a room temp IQ should know that leaving the guts in it, especially if one or more are ruptured by the shot, is bad news for the meat. What happened to common sense?

View attachment 832905
I was given one as a gift recently. Perfect design for the task.

I never quite cared for Buck knives, I found the blades were too hard to take a quick touch up. Oh they held an edge, but when they started to dull they took a bit bring them back up. That is why I liked the "Old Schrades" very quick to sharpen. The new ones out of China suck. My current knife is a Dunn.

What was your reason for killing animals ?
In Texas hogs are an invasive species and I had a bunch of country boy riling me up… if there’s a mouse in your house you kill it right?what if you live on 1000 acres and the hogs and raccoons are just tearing up your property and getting into your feed. I was young.

I really enjoyed the slaughter.. but then I had to look myself in the mirror and say hey, killing him one thing enjoying it’s another. After I shot my dog, I don’t enjoy killing anything.

If you bring a deer to a butcher around here and it’s not gutted they will turn you away
That’s exactly what I was wondering .. if somebody showed up at a waystation with a deer that wasn’t good and I don’t know what I’d say… first time?

So I don’t know if I’ve told you guys this story it’s definitely not hunting. In Texas I worked in a slaughterhouse for a while. Not sure I think it’s called captive bolt gun?

I’m not sure if I had the easiest or the worst job. The cow comes in you hold it to therehead. You squeeze it, not sure if they’re unconscious or dead but they dropped out a shoot and the Mexicans take care of all the actual work.

Never really thought much of it until the gun failed and the guy next to me took his f***ing gun out without warning it just blew it f***ing brains out.

And then I wasn’t that phased until the farm I was living at brought their cows down there.

I had my first side arm for about a year I used to go down and shoot on the farm for practice. The cows wouldn’t get out of my way and then they were all scared and then I went down there after a few months. shoot my 45 the cows licking me well I’m doing it because cows are smart. I always just thought I’m stupid but they’re smart.

Once I had to kill the entire herd. pretty sure that’s why I had to look myself in the mirror. And I still had a steak for dinner.

I respect these animal rights people who don’t eat meat. Otherwise you’re a f***ing hypocrite and they’re all cheaters too. They’re down there at McDonald’s.

I forgot to get back to the point the kids never coming back to my place. Never wanted him there in the first place…

I just can’t believe my brother knew this and then still said he could hunt up there f***ing retards. Nobody else is allowed up there ever again.

I was given one as a gift recently. Perfect design for the task.

I have been using mine for many years now and have yet to find a more perfect tool for the job.

All the Texas/Arkansas hunters I know field dress, and stuff the cavity full of frozen 2 liter water bottles as soon as they get it to the truck.

It's frequently in the 80s during deer season there. You want that meat chilled as soon as possible.

I use frozen water jugs. 1/2 gallon for between the hams and I toss a gallon jug in the cavity.

Too keep a deer overnight during the early season I will throw a couple more 1/2 gallon jug’s along the spine and wrap them in a plastic tarp in a spot on the floor in the garage out of the sun. They stay nice and cold through lunchtime.

I keep them in the freezer all year round. They buy you some time if the power goes out and are useful for a cooler during the summer.

I can field dress a deer in about 15 minutes. I don't know why people don't do it in the woods either.... It's like - why do you want to carry or drag that extra 40 pounds of guts out of the woods? It helps the meat cool down quicker too, etc.

My only guess is that they don't carry the kit required to dress it while they're hunting. I don't either. But I go back to the truck and get it, along with the cart or sled. Not gutting it before the drag just seems like you're making more work for yourself...

There is one exception for me though. If I have to traverse some deep water, I'll wait until I cross it and gut it on the bank. That way I don't fill the cavity with some kind of nasty swamp water.

If you’re lucky enough to not have the goddamn coyotes, steal the hide while you’re working on it, you gotta put it around a tree with some chicken wire so they can’t take it right down and it’s the perfect kill spot to thin out the herd. I don’t eat coyote.
Dude off your meds again?

Back
Top Bottom