A shooters Mentor

charliet

NES Member
This morning I attended the funeral of a fellow shooter John McMillan, John left his wife and two daughters at the early age of 49. His death was sudden and stunning. At the funeral I meet a fellow shooter who I haven’t seen too much lately, (after legging out he pretty much stopped shooting) we were telling stories of John and remembering some of the funny things…remember the Leg match up in Vermont…”While in prep, John turned to me and asked how do you close the bolt in this thing” the fellow shooter said..We started to laugh. John had never shoot an AR-15, let alone a Leg match; he was there for the weekend. John had shot the state championship and leg match was the next day…might as well help out he’d say with a laugh. This “fellow shooter” went on to say John was his mentor, he got me into shooting he was a good friend. John was a bolt gun guy and really, not what I would call a “notable shooter”…he was a casual shooter. John shot mostly the small bore league and Sunday morning offhand matches during the winter. In the last couple of years he struggled with eye issues, forcing him to shoot with his left eye (he made an offset sight mount). John was an accomplished machinist and was quick to lend a hand to fellow shooters making a mount or looking at a barrel….always ready to help out, especially a junior whom he would never take any money from.
I went to the casket to pay my respects and noted John’s gun club hat and several other personal items with him, I then notice a Distinguished Rifleman’s Badge on his jacket. Almost in the same thought I said to myself John wasn’t distinguished…then…I realized that someone had left his badge for John. Yes, this “fellow shooter” had left his Distinguished Badge for his Mentor. I have witnessed several shooters get their “pins” and have been honored to pass my “pin” to a few myself. Johns “pining “was in private, I’m sure, he would have said “no I didn’t earn it”. But I know John is proud to wear Badge 1839.

I didn't know him well, but from what I saw he was a great guy. He will clearly be missed. RIP John.

Nice words, Charlie.
I don't think I ever met him, but he sounds like somebody who I would have liked.
49 is way too young.

Charlie,

I had just saw the news about John @ http://readinghighpower.com/ before work this morning.

I was very surprised and saddened to hear this. I have fond memories of John the year you spoke of in Vermont and from many Sunday mornings in the mid 2000's when I would go down to WSA to shoot the Winter Sunday Mornings Indoor/Outdoor Offhand matches.

John was one of those people that always had a happy smile and a big hello and was real easy to get into friendly conversations with. I can hear his joyous laugh and see the smile that was always on his face that he was well known for as I type this.

Badge #1839 was also High Civilian in 2007 http://clubs.odcmp.c...tID=6&awardID=4

RIP John!

I only met John a couple of times but when I saw the news on Readinghighpower it hit me like a ton of bricks. So sad.

I hope that he knew what an influence he was on Mark. Obviously it was quite a lot since he said good by to him is such a profound way. I wish I got to know him better.

B

Charlie,
You covered it all, very well stated. John was and will always be a person you enjoyed being around.
Life is far too short, Rest in Peace John.

Back
Top Bottom