A warning to all of us

Thing is, she still should have had enough control to put the gun down first... keeping control is just part of the responsibility that she has when operating a machine that has the potential to cause fatal injuries - whether it be a car, gun or milling machine.

Yes she should have. Agreed. She certainly WAS negligent. If she had injured someone else then she should have been charged accordingly. Luckily her stupidity only caused injury to herself.

My only point is that she should not had her right to own and possess firearms disabled.

My only point is that she should not had her right to own and possess firearms disabled.

I agree 100%, I should have been more specific. I don't think she should be allowed on a public range. If she wants to shoot on her private land fine, if she wants to carry concealed fine, if she wants 100 guns at the house fine.

If I owned a range she would be banned from it...

I agree 100%, I should have been more specific. I don't think she should be allowed on a public range. If she wants to shoot on her private land fine, if she wants to carry concealed fine, if she wants 100 guns at the house fine.

If I owned a range she would be banned from it...

Agreed.

Yes she should have. Agreed. She certainly WAS negligent. If she had injured someone else then she should have been charged accordingly. Luckily her stupidity only caused injury to herself.

I don't like disabling convictions either. I think Lautenberg, FIP, etc, are all
the biggest crocks. A person is either free or they're not, none of this
scarlet letter crap.

That being said, I agree with Derek on this... if I was the range owner,
she'd definitely be banned. The only remediation I -might- give is if somehow
or another she could prove that she learned something from the incident
(eg, she took a safety course...AND demonstrated proper handling with a
cleared firearm!) while I don't think a safety course is the
be all end all, I'd venture a safe guess that the accidents per capita
rate is higher among a pool of completely untrained people than people that
have made a concious and deliberate effort to at least make the basic rules
part of their shooting mindset. ).

-Mike

Last edited:
Even if she couldn't put the gun down, she could have at least
indexed her finger alongside the gun and held it at the ground or pointed
it downrange while she used her other hand to do the "fidgeting".

She did shoot herself in the leg, so the ground is probably the direction she was moving the muzzle. Yes she should have also gotten her finger off the trigger, I doubt she'll make that mistake again. She may have been a newer shooter and the hot brass could have been unexpected. I'm sure everyone reacted differently the first time a hot peice of brass landed on their skin than they did the 34,897 times after that.

I had a hot shell go down my shirt a few months ago. I was wearing a collared shirt but unfortunately the ejected shell ricocheted off a wall and slipped right down my back. It was very painful! Fortunately, I had the discipline to stop...place the handgun on safety...place the handgun on the bench...and then jump like a mad man.

To make matters worse the initial shock of the burning shell caused me to knock my hearing protection off. I was in an indoor range (AFS) with other shooters firing at the time the. It was like the Fourth of July in there.

My bad situation left me with a decision to make...I could remove the burning shell or cover my ears...I could not do both. I choose to cover my ears. While the shell hurt...it only left a red mark.

To make matters worse the initial shock of the burning shell caused me to knock my hearing protection off. I was in an indoor range (AFS) with other shooters firing at the time the. It was like the Fourth of July in there.

You're lucky I wasn't there with my Springfield 1903... .30-'06 huts your ears with hearing pertection, I'd hate to find out what's it's like without.

Those suckers hurt too when they land on you... luckily for me the act of closing the bolt makes the shell fall off my arm. (I wear shots sleaves year round)

I don't like disabling convictions either. I think Lautenberg, FIP, etc, are all the biggest crocks. A person is either free or they're not, none of this scarlet letter crap.

I'm all in favor of scarlet letters. Rather than imprison people of take away their rights for a lot of crimes, society would be better off simply making them wear a big scarlet letter, warning the public. "Warning: This car being driven by a convicted drunk driver." "Alert: The person wearing this shirt is a convicted shoplifter." "Caution: I'm a dork who doesn't practice good muzzle control." Works for me.

Ken

I'm all in favor of scarlet letters. Rather than imprison people of take away their rights for a lot of crimes, society would be better off simply making them wear a big scarlet letter, warning the public. "Warning: This car being driven by a convicted drunk driver." "Alert: The person wearing this shirt is a convicted shoplifter." "Caution: I'm a dork who doesn't practice good muzzle control." Works for me.
Sort of like the "POOR IMPULSE CONTROL" tattoo on the forehead of a bad ass in Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. Not a bad idea.

Kyle

Once , in my late teen's I negligently discharged a .22 rifle straight into the air. It's been over 20 years and I "feel" that shot every time I pick up a firearm.

I am , since then , completely and totally and Very aware of the guns I carry & shoot , most of the guns around me as well. Not that I am paranoid or anything - just very serious about never ever making any mistake again.

I too have had casings hit my face , .223 brass down my sleeve , horseflies biting me while shooting , lead splatter me while plate shooting. No errors.

She did a dangerous and stupid thing while operating a lethal weapon , not a power tool. I do use the power tool analogy at times myself ... but she ND'd in public. Bad.

But you know what ? Other than hurting someone else , there isn't a lesson she could learn more powerful and direct than putting a bullet in her own body.

I bet she never has another firearm mistake in her life. .... unless she is an idiot. Then she should be slapped and banned.

I am , since then , completely and totally and Very aware of the guns I carry & shoot , most of the guns around me as well. Not that I am paranoid or anything - just very serious about never ever making any mistake again.
Except for maybe shooting at a camera while folks who posed for the photo didn't have any hearing protection on. But I'm not bitter or nothing...

That was you, right? I'll be a little red-faced if it wasn't...

Eh, I wear sandals and shorts. I've had hot brass land on my head, down my shirt, and on my exposed feet. It stings for a second, and then you shake it off. :)

Kyle

Just be glad you weren't wearing a bra and had it trapped with no where to go. [smile]

And oh yeah, I had the presence of mind to lay down my gun, step back from the firing line and turn to then dig out the offending hot cartridge. I didn't shoot myself, or anyone else. [smile]

And oh yeah, I had the presence of mind to lay down my gun, step back from the firing line and turn to then dig out the offending hot cartridge. I didn't shoot myself, or anyone else. [smile]
And you made sure that no one else got a shot, either. [smile]

Except for maybe shooting at a camera while folks who posed for the photo didn't have any hearing protection on. But I'm not bitter or nothing...

That was you, right? I'll be a little red-faced if it wasn't...

Nope - Be red faced. I have no idea what you are talking about ...

Nope - Be red faced. I have no idea what you are talking about ...
Dang... who was it, now... At the Westford shoot, we took a pic with a camera on timer. Someone took it a little farther and had his gun loaded and let off a round right after the camera went off... and several of us didn't have our ear protection on. I was particularly peeved as I'd been the one setting up the camera - which meant that I was in front of the line while this guy's gun was live. [angry]

For somre reason I thought that it was your screen name that he gave. What can I say... memory is the second thing to go when you get old. I forget the first...

I poped one down LordVector's collar once at MRA. It was only a .22 Brass from my Model 60, but he's still got a scar. But he set the gun he was shooting down on the bench, muzzle in a safe direction before doing a rather funnydance to clear that brass from his seared fleash. [smile]

I must say, guns require far too much respect and caution to throw it all to the wind for a little burn.

Did it hurt like hell? I'm sure it did. Was it worth violating the 4 rules?

Hell NO!!!

If this woman never touches a gun ever again, I shed a tear. If she grows up, and learns to get her priorities straight, then I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if she continues shooting.

But I'd rather not be on the line with her.

-Weer'd Beard

vellnueve, the same thing happened to me once! Had a 9mm case hit my forehead, run down between my glasses and my face, right under my eye. It burned like hell, i was almost paralyzed, not sure what to do! My pistol kept pointed dead on target, then I slowly put it down properly, all while smelling something burning (my face), then with the left hand I whipped the glasses off my face straight down range (I was all alone anyway). Had a burn mark for a few months... Now I have different glasses so that can't happen again.

it wasnt him

I shoot @ DF&G , and my camp/place in Maine.
Me: Real name - Alex.
DSCF0015-1.jpg

Anyway , semi related to dumb acts on the range; Your Ears are your business as far as I am concerned. But I STILL look around to see if anyone isn't wearing earpro before I begin to make very loud noises on the firing line.

I had a .40 brass lodge up against my neck during qual and just kept firing. Yea it left a burn mark, but better to have that than bust qual.

Anyway , semi related to dumb acts on the range; Your Ears are your business as far as I am concerned. But I STILL look around to see if anyone isn't wearing earpro before I begin to make very loud noises on the firing line.

Alex,

We were doing a group photo after we were all done shooting.... Everybody have their eyes and ears off... As the autoshutter on the camer snapped the picture one member thought it would be funny to shoot a shot down range. The people standing right next to the muzzle didn't find it amusing...

My buddy was firing my .40 P239 and one of the casings landed between his glasses and his eye. I laughed for a nano second, but was immediately concerned. To think of what could've happened had he panicked and dropped the gun or worse yet, frantically swung around with a loaded gun with other shooters in the vicinity makes me shudder. I'm grateful he reacted well.

Alex,

We were doing a group photo after we were all done shooting.... Everybody have their eyes and ears off... As the autoshutter on the camer snapped the picture one member thought it would be funny to shoot a shot down range. The people standing right next to the muzzle didn't find it amusing...

Ouch. I assume he was thouroughly chastised. One would think "funny" comes a long way below "proper handling" when associating w/ a crew like this.

Baseball caps w/ glasses pretty much cover the brass on eyeball issues.

There were a lot of people pissed off and shaking their heads, but I don't think most of us ever found out who it was.

Although I don't recall who, I saw the person who did it as did many others. I do recall he gave a sorry-ass excuse when he was chewed out. Luckily I never took my ears off and I was standing a distance away.

Back
Top Bottom