accurized M14/M1A performance

Based on actual competitive range performance and tests . . . What can be realistically expected of an accurized M14/M1A?

Yes, using tweaked loads and that rare guy that can actually outshoot the rifle (machine rest).

For instance: "If you have the money, they can be made to shoot 0.375 MOA without a problem. But you should realistically expect 0.50 MOA."

Please guys - no "Blue Sky"

I can't give you and exact size, but sub MOA is a safe bet. .50 would not surprise me at all. I've never seen an M14 shot from a bench so I can't give you a 100% answer.

My Smith Enterprise NM M14 will shoot just under 1MOA with loads it likes. This is Derek Martin's full-blown match rifle, so it's had everything done to it. I've shot groups close to 1/4", but those are very rare. Day-in, day-out it is a 1MOA shooter. There is so much going on with the M14 system that I think anytime you can get one to shoot at 1MOA, you should consider yourself lucky. Bedding, gas system, handguard, flash suppressor torque, op-rod travel, barrel; that is a lot to keep track of. And remember; once you get all of these things lined up the way they should be, they won't stay that way for very long. She's a maintenance pig for sure.

A general rule of thumb is that a good M14 will shoot 1MOA. A good AR will shoot 1/2MOA. I am talking an average over hundreds of rounds, not the freak 3-shot group.

.75 to 1 MOA can be done with an M14, IF it's accurized.

AR's can be made to shoot down to .2 MOA (yup, .200 groups, it's been done).

I seriously doubt anybody can get an M14 to shoot .375 MOA groups consistently.

M1A accuracy

I have a tricked out M1A that I paid too much for. If I do my part, it will shoot Fed GM .6 and handloads between .5 and .6. I've had a few groups in the .3's but those are rare and I would say in general it is a solid sub .75 shooter.

Back
Top Bottom