Aero precision m5 question

So if this is not supposed to be in the general discussion section please tell me. I'm new to this forum....anyways I'm trying to build LR308 kit and I wanted to buy and Aero Precision M5 lower and buy a kit from 80% lowers and I'm not sure if it will fit because I'm not sure if it is DPMS compatible... I built a Ar15 and it was pretty cut and dry getting parts for it,since there pretty mi h all compatible, but the LR308 Platform is not as compatible, so I'm not sure if I buy the Aero Precision M5 lower and the LR308 build kit from 80% lowers, that it would fit...any help would be greatly appreciated...the pictures are exactly what I'm trying to put together...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220314-233303_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220314-233303_Samsung Internet.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220314-233320_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220314-233320_Samsung Internet.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 6
Because of the lack of mil standard and therefore interoperability and compatibility within the AR10 platform, I don’t mix and match. Aero lowers go with aero uppers. I’ve had uppers and lowers that both claimed to be dpms that would not work together.

Keep it simple and don’t mix cats and dogs.

The guy above probably has a lot more AR10 experience than me, I’ve only assisted on two builds. They are nothing like the AR-15 platform, way harder to find parts for, nothing is compatible!! Be very careful, you’re gonna end up with parts that don’t fit that you can’t return, and the barrel you want won’t be available.

Stick with AR-15s!

If you need 308, FAL or ugg boot.

I did an armalite AR10A (takes SR25 mags) build about 10 years ago. It’s amazing and has been flawless. Matching upper/lower and just needed the proper BCG (from Armalite) and Barrel (Noveske)

I think DPMS G2 stuff had promise as it cut the size and weight from the traditional AR10.

You will want a matched upper and lower receiver. Aeros are GTG, so do that. AR-308 seems to be way more popular than the AR-10 pattern, so that helps and just be sure that you are not mixing in AR-10 parts. Ballistic Advantage makes excellent barrels for the AR-308. The Premium Series 6.5 CM I bought from BA shoots sub 1/2 MOA in the AR I built but it also has a JP BCG with the high pressure bolt and a Geissele trigger as well.

These are still like putting together Legos as compared to building an AK or even a M14 / M1A. Basically the same as assembling an AR15, with only some very minor differences. I really can't figure out why anyone would say that these are a different animal...

You will want a matched upper and lower receiver. Aeros are GTG, so do that. AR-308 seems to be way more popular than the AR-10 pattern, so that helps and just be sure that you are not mixing in AR-10 parts. Ballistic Advantage makes excellent barrels for the AR-308. The Premium Series 6.5 CM I bought from BA shoots sub 1/2 MOA in the AR I built but it also has a JP BCG with the high pressure bolt and a Geissele trigger as well.

These are still like putting together Legos as compared to building an AK or even a M14 / M1A. Basically the same as assembling an AR15, with only some very minor differences. I really can't figure out why anyone would say that these are a different animal...

Probably because it’s not like an AR15 which more or less has 100% parts interoperability. That said, just pay attention to what you buy and it’s NBD.

DPMS high, DPMS low, DMPS not quite high, two different barrel nut thread pitches, incompatibility between different brand DPMS uppers and lowers, different LPKs because of how they do take down pins and others, etc

Its not like AR15s where there is a milspec and essentially everything works with everything outside the non milspec enhancements done by the likes of LMT for ambi. But almost everything works with almost everything else.

AR10 and AR308 almost everything does NOT work with almost everything else unless you buy from a single company.

I’ve found that if i get all the upper parts (or a complete upper) for a DPMS Gen 1 compatible upper from one manufacture it will work with any DPMS Gen 1 lower that I’ve built. However, I have always used the LPK offered by the lower's manufacturer. I’ve never tried to build a LR-308 upper from scratch and I’ve never tried to mix and match lowers and LPKs from different sources.

You definitely don’t want to confuse DPMS Gen 1 and Gen 2 (technically Generation I and Generation II). DPMS Gen 2(II) is still DPMS proprietary and is a some what smaller LR308, closer to an AR15 in size and weight.

As long as you go with a complete upper, the Gen 1 high vs Gen 1 low is not particularly relevant, since you will be guaranteed that the upper receiver's rail height will match the hand guard’s rail height. All of the DPMS Gen 1 complete uppers that I’ve seen are of the “low” variety, which means the rail height above bore matches that of a mil spec AR15.

DPMS high, DPMS low, DMPS not quite high, two different barrel nut thread pitches, incompatibility between different brand DPMS uppers and lowers, different LPKs because of how they do take down pins and others, etc

Its not like AR15s where there is a milspec and essentially everything works with everything outside the non milspec enhancements done by the likes of LMT for ambi. But almost everything works with almost everything else.

AR10 and AR308 almost everything does NOT work with almost everything else unless you buy from a single company.
So avoid DPMS brand. Get a matching upper and lower, make sure you have the correct barrel and nut- it's not much more complicated than that. Bolt catch and mag release specific to AR-308 but many small parts including trigger assembly are same as AR15. It's all still Legos.

So avoid DPMS brand. Get a matching upper and lower, make sure you have the correct barrel and nut- it's not much more complicated than that. Bolt catch and mag release specific to AR-308 but many small parts including trigger assembly are same as AR15. It's all still Legos.
no one is talking about DPMS brand anything. DPMS pattern (AR308 lower, height of top rail, etc). You can call it lego and it is but off brand chinese legos that dont work with regular legos. AR10/AR308 is not the same as AR15. That you thought I was talking DPMS brand and did not know/understand that it was pattern...

And I have not listed all the possible pitfalls. Buy ALL parts from one company and you MIGHT be ok. A couple companies make parts in different patterns...

Your attempt to over simplify just says you have not built a lot of AR10/AR308 rifles from a box of parts. Yes it is doable but you are far more constrained and have to be far more careful than you seem to appreciate.

So if this is not supposed to be in the general discussion section please tell me. I'm new to this forum....anyways I'm trying to build LR308 kit and I wanted to buy and Aero Precision M5 lower and buy a kit from 80% lowers and I'm not sure if it will fit because I'm not sure if it is DPMS compatible... I built a Ar15 and it was pretty cut and dry getting parts for it,since there pretty mi h all compatible, but the LR308 Platform is not as compatible, so I'm not sure if I buy the Aero Precision M5 lower and the LR308 build kit from 80% lowers, that it would fit...any help would be greatly appreciated...the pictures are exactly what I'm trying to put together...
good sites actually set uppers on aero parts - like the ar15parts.com. see the red highlighted thingy? it is what you need for aero M5 lower.
if not sure - call the support on the site of your seller and ask. an aero upper sits on the aero lower nicely with no gaps and no play. not sure why to mix up stuff.
1647373137237.png

good sites actually set uppers on aero parts - like the ar15parts.com. see the red highlighted thingy? it is what you need for aero M5 lower.
if not sure - call the support on the site of your seller and ask. an aero upper sits on the aero lower nicely with no gaps and no play. not sure why to mix up stuff.
View attachment 590643
Thank you man! It's in stock also? Because that's another problem I have with ar10s is everything is sold out. .

Thank you man! It's in stock also? Because that's another problem I have with ar10s is everything is sold out. .
Stock rotates fast. I would recommend to wait for a sale at primary arms - either their 12% or aero sale and get aero upper with a stainless steel barrel. Not in stock now, but was last week, they do appear now from time to time.

Stock rotates fast. I would recommend to wait for a sale at primary arms - either their 12% or aero sale and get aero upper with a stainless steel barrel. Not in stock now, but was last week, they do appear now from time to time.

Yeah trust me I'm not about mixing up uppers and lowers...my ar15 is all aero precision but when it comes to the ar10 stuff it's selling like crazy and can't find everything to go with it...thanks man I really appreciate it!

Yeah trust me I'm not about mixing up uppers and lowers...my ar15 is all aero precision but when it comes to the ar10 stuff it's selling like crazy and can't find everything to go with it...thanks man I really appreciate it!
I definitely saw 18” upper last week in stock, but not a stainless barrel. I have one in 20” 6.5cm and it shoots very well, 3/4moa.
For 308 I got Wilson combat from ar15parts, it is less accurate but runs fine. Was under $500. Just shop around.

I definitely saw 18” upper last week in stock, but not a stainless barrel. I have one in 20” 6.5cm and it shoots very well, 3/4moa.
For 308 I got Wilson combat from ar15parts, it is less accurate but runs fine. Was under $500. J

For 308 I got Wilson combat from ar15parts, it is less accurate but runs fine. Was under $500. Just shop around.
I thought Wilson combat was like some of the best you could get for ARs at there pricerange...

I thought Wilson combat was like some of the best you could get for ARs at there pricerange...
I may have unrealistic expectations. i still working on a load for that rifle, here are 2 best ones i got from today so far:

1647386392181.png

and here is the 20" aero stainless steel 6.5cm, i shot it more after that and it groups same way, no fliers
1647386679435.png

Last edited:
I was planning an AR-10/308 build but after reading all the headaches with compatibility, I just bought a Savage 308 bolt gun to ring steel and satisfy my male machismo! Big caliber! Harr, harr, harr.

no one is talking about DPMS brand anything. DPMS pattern (AR308 lower, height of top rail, etc). You can call it lego and it is but off brand chinese legos that dont work with regular legos. AR10/AR308 is not the same as AR15. That you thought I was talking DPMS brand and did not know/understand that it was pattern...

And I have not listed all the possible pitfalls. Buy ALL parts from one company and you MIGHT be ok. A couple companies make parts in different patterns...

Your attempt to over simplify just says you have not built a lot of AR10/AR308 rifles from a box of parts. Yes it is doable but you are far more constrained and have to be far more careful than you seem to appreciate.
Yes, I know it is a pattern; and no- I know it's not the same as AR15. Actually, some of it is LOL.

Guess I'll agree that the lack of standardization has the potential to create mayhem during assembly, but some reasonable diligence during sourcing will prevent that. If OP does this he should be good to go: Get a matched Aero M5 upper and lower, DPMS type high profile hand guard, DPMS type barrel and nut, and an Aero LPK. He can get any AR trigger he wants, any AR hand grip, any AR butt stock, any AR charging handle, any DPMS / AR-308 type buffer system, any DPMS / AR-308 type mags, any picatinny sights or optics, etc...

I do realize one does not simply build a DPMS pattern / AR-308 from a parts pile like one can do with an AR-15- if that's how my comment read, it would be wrong.

Maybe I've just been lucky but so far there have been only a few issues I've run into mixing/matching stuff on dpms pattern uppers/lowers, none of which have been show stoppers...

As mentioned already there are more than just either the high or low rail heights, as in there are tweeners, not sure if it's due to shitty manufacturing tolerances or different brand standards. Finding a perfectly height compatible non aero handguard for an aero upper receiver can be challenging.

The other is the flat on the top of the boss that the buffer tube screws into on the lower can be at different heights. If you mix a 'high' lower with a 'low' upper the boss interferes with the charging handle. There's enough meat there that it can be easily clearanced by skimming a bit off the lower but some people probably won't want to mess with that.

It seems the ar15 LPK's are mostly interchangeable to lr308 with the exception of the takedown/pivot pins and the bolt catch. I had a surplus of ar15 kits and a very accommodating dealer at the mill set me up with a good deal on a couple sets of lr308 pins and bolt catches. I ran onto something I had also read about that some bolt catches can need a bit of minor fitting to have enough travel to function properly, wasn't a big deal but not plug 'n play...

Yes, I know it is a pattern; and no- I know it's not the same as AR15. Actually, some of it is LOL.

Guess I'll agree that the lack of standardization has the potential to create mayhem during assembly, but some reasonable diligence during sourcing will prevent that. If OP does this he should be good to go: Get a matched Aero M5 upper and lower, DPMS type high profile hand guard, DPMS type barrel and nut, and an Aero LPK. He can get any AR trigger he wants, any AR hand grip, any AR butt stock, any AR charging handle, any DPMS / AR-308 type buffer system, any DPMS / AR-308 type mags, any picatinny sights or optics, etc...

I do realize one does not simply build a DPMS pattern / AR-308 from a parts pile like one can do with an AR-15- if that's how my comment read, it would be wrong.
Thanks for the info man! This is basically what I needed to know exactly...

So I’ve built a couple of LR308s. One in .308, one in 6.5 Creedmoor and one in .243 Win. I used a complete DPMS Gen 1 compatible upper for all three. The lowers were 80% lowers from 5D Tactical and 80% Lowers. Since with an 80% you’re drilling the safety and fire control pin holes, you can be sure they are in the standard location. The lowers had no problem matching up with the uppers. Only thing is that the 80% Lowers LR308 lowers include the threaded bolt catch pin, while with 5D Tactical you need to be sure your LPK includes a threaded bolt catch pin (CMMG does in their LR308 LPK).

Back
Top Bottom