• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Aging your meat?

How long you guys let your meat hang? [laugh] Lol. No really, how long do you guys let your animals hang before you prosses them? I have always let mine hang at least a couple days, longer if weather permits it.

I'll quarter my deer up and lay it on racks in the fridge so air circulation can go all the way around and normally let it sit for at least a week. Last night I cut the hind quarters down to the primals and have those all laid out on the racks and they will be for a couple more days...

Three to seven days if the weather is cooperative. Hide on and hung from rear legs with loose tarp around it to protect from direct sun and wind but plenty of air circulation.

Last year's buck hanged for seven in cold weather(30-40) and was excellent. This year the weather was a bit warmer(40-55) so I butchered it on the third day and it was still great. Did a roast from this year's buck on Thanksgiving Day in a crock pot and it was fork tender.

It all depends on the temperature.

My buddy and I butcher our own ans he was an executive chef. If it was close to 30, we would let it hang a few days just to rest up from the hunt. If it was 60, it would be packaged and in the freezer in a day.

Remember the danger range is 40-140. The less time spent between those temps, the less risk of destructive bacterial growth.

sent from the depths of Hell using TapaTalk

Weather permitting, I try to get a week of hanging time in. This year I took a 130# 6 pointer, hung it outside in the shade for a few days, but the weather started to warm up, so I quarterd it and put it in a freezer that I monitered off and on to keep it just above freezing. Three days after I took the 6 pointer, I filled my M tag with a 112# button. Hung him in the garage for 5 days, opened the door at night to let the cold air in, closed the door during the day and actually one of those days, took my portable AC unit, set it in the bed of my Camino and directed the cold air at it. Both came out good.

Interesting....so if you were to build a structure that could hold one or two deer and run an AC unit and a small fan to move the air efficiently(not fast but circulating) with baffles to control temp, this could also work on days when nature is not cooperating Right? Also keep bugs from messing up with the catch.

Weather permitting, I try to get a week of hanging time in. This year I took a 130# 6 pointer, hung it outside in the shade for a few days, but the weather started to warm up, so I quarterd it and put it in a freezer that I monitered off and on to keep it just above freezing. Three days after I took the 6 pointer, I filled my M tag with a 112# button. Hung him in the garage for 5 days, opened the door at night to let the cold air in, closed the door during the day and actually one of those days, took my portable AC unit, set it in the bed of my Camino and directed the cold air at it. Both came out good.

Usually we hang it in a garage for 3-5 days, this year I switched butchers and he has a couple walk in coolers. He let it hang for a week before cutting it and the meat is AWESOME!

Interesting....so if you were to build a structure that could hold one or two deer and run an AC unit and a small fan to move the air efficiently(not fast but circulating) with baffles to control temp, this could also work on days when nature is not cooperating Right? Also keep bugs from messing up with the catch.

I actually have a line on a commercial grade refridgerator with no freezer. It was used for trays of prepared samples in a gourmet cooking store. About 30 " wide and better than 6' tall. Figure I can remove the trays and be able to hang a whole deer in it if I cut the head and lower legs off.
Besides aging a deer, hanging a deer allows the blood to drain out of the flesh. Gamey taste= bloody taste.

Last edited:
I actually have a line on a commercial grade refridgerator with no freezer. It was used for trays of prepared samples in a gormet cooking store. About 30 " wide and better than 6' tall. Figure I can remove the trays and be able to hang a whole deer in it if I cut the head and lower legs off.
Besides aging a deer, hanging a deer allows the blood todrain out of the flesh. Gamey taste= bloody taste.

Yup, the longer you can hang it the less gamey, 3-4 days is about the minimum to get the meat fairly dry.

The first moose I ever had with a gamey taste was the one we got in 2013. Got it to the butcher, he had a walk in cooler and promised to hang it for a week, put other people in front of us etc. The next day he called and said it was done, worst moose meat I've ever had. The moose we got this year the guy hung it for a week, same with my deer, both came out awesome.

Last edited:
Yup, the longer you can hang it the less gamey, 3-4 days is about the minimum to get the meat fairly dry.

The first moose I ever had with a gamey taste was the one we got in 2013. Got it to the butcher, he had a walk in cooler and promised to hang it for a week, put other people in front of us etc. The next day he called and said it was done, worst moose meat I've ever had. The moose we got this year the guy hung it for a week, same with my deer, both came out awesome.

Was that the aholes in Goffstown? Two years ago I dropped off about a 120# spike, they claim the $120 includes one week of hanging time. Got the call three days ater to pick up my 35# of meat. Total of 8 chops,cut boneless(uhh...missing 16) even though I emphaticlly specified bone-in, 3/4" thick, I had specified 1 1/2" thick, and the kicker was that the tenderloins were obviously from two different animals. (Huge size difference). Only good thing about it is that now I cut my own deer, and I don't have to worry about getting half my meat back in the form of a Frankenstien deer.

Was that the aholes in Goffstown? Two years ago I dropped off about a 120# spike, they claim the $120 includes one week of hanging time. Got the call three days ater to pick up my 35# of meat. Total of 8 chops,cut boneless(uhh...missing 16) even though I emphaticlly specified bone-in, 3/4" thick, I had specified 1 1/2" thick, and the kicker was that the tenderloins were obviously from two different animals. (Huge size difference). Only good thing about it is that now I cut my own deer, and I don't have to worry about getting half my meat back in the form of a Frankenstien deer.

Nope, this was a place in Maine that screwed us. The place I brought my moose and deer this year in Maine is in Bowdoin and I would highly recommend them. Butcher Boys in Bowdoin, brought my 100# buck in this year, they let it hang a full 7 days + 1 day before I brought it so 8 total. I got 35#s of meat all boneless and they charged $74, and I got 12#'s of sausage in there.

Nope, this was a place in Maine that screwed us. The place I brought my moose and deer this year in Maine is in Bowdoin and I would highly recommend them. Butcher Boys in Bowdoin, brought my 100# buck in this year, they let it hang a full 7 days + 1 day before I brought it so 8 total. I got 35#s of meat all boneless and they charged $74, and I got 12#'s of sausage in there.
Butcher boys is where I've taken my last 2 deer. Jimmy does a good job.
Plus they're 10 minutes away down the road.

Hanging does many things but it does not make a lean meat carcass like a deer, taste better. The reason for hanging is for the enzymes to start breaking down the muscle tissue and make the meat tender. During this process the "flavor" is enhanced, whether that flavor be good or bad. Gaminess will get gamier, not milder. The fat also breaks down some and will add flavor to the meat which usually means gaminess. Hanging for any length of time over 24-36hrs in anything other than 33-36degrees F will also speed up the process and allow other flavors to get into the meat. Flavors in the surrounding air will be absorbed especially in a garage for instance. It has to do with the higher temps allowing more humidity. Hanging with the hide also slows the cooling process down no matter if ice is used in the cavity. I never hang my animals with a hide and no slaughter house does either. I have actually seen "heated rounds" in deer that have come from ME years back when they were killed, hung with the hide, and the outside air was too cold, causing the hide to insulate the meat to the point where the meat deep in the hind, close to bone, was rotted upon cutting it up. Of course, they too, hung the deer to age it for over a week.
Deer are vegetarians and are what they eat. If they're eating a lot of acorns their meat is often hard to eat due to the taste. This is because a lot of the flavors and even the fragrances are held in the fat. Same for the bones. I bone out my deer completely and remove all fat making all cuts into all boneless cutlets.
Aging also dries the meat out. When you have an animal who's meat moisture quantity is already low, why dry it more? All my deer are processed completely no later than 36hrs after killing them. The only thing I won't do is make my sausage until a few weeks later with the trimmings being froze.
I know many will disagree but that's fine. I grew up working in our family's USDA slaughterhouse. We butchered some of the fanciest beef raised in New England for many high end specialty farms and exclusive restaurants in Boston. Many years of experience in temperature, humidity, hanging time, grind amounts, fat ratios, etc. kept us with the #1 rated federally inspected slaughter house in the NE USA. This rating was based on the gov's own rating system and customer's feedback. It was our business' dedication to constantly be improving the whole process that kept us at the top until we closed the doors.
We also cut up over 150+ deer a year with some of those deer even coming in immediately after being killed so we could dress them out for checking. (yes, we did the field dressing in house if the hunters were close and the kill was fresh). On the return of the carcasses from checking, they were immediately skinned and hung the rest of the week to be cut on Sat. If a deer came in on Thurs., it was cut on sat.
Now, will a big buck be more tender with some hanging, yes, will it taste better with the hanging, not really. Getting the hide off ASAP, pulling all kidney fat out, and letting the meat cool to air temp first, before refrigerating it to the 33-36d, that will make it taste better.
Why is pulling the hide ASAP important? The hide has one main purpose, to protect the deer. It's water repellent, it helps the deer float (hairs are hollow), and because of those hollow hairs, insulates the deer, both from hot and cold. Now, when it's left on after gutting, it insulates the meat from the cold on the outside, but the interior carcass (now exposed and cooling off) actually traps the heat from coming out due to the "cool" layer (about 1") trapping the heat between the hide (insulation). With this trapped heat, even though it will eventually cool down, the meat is actually souring and adding "flavor". And it's this "souring" that accentuates the gaminess even more.

All of the above is the basics of the butchering process and known to true meat processors. I encourage those who butcher their own to actually try what I've stated and see if there's a difference. You will have juicier, better tasting venison.

Last edited:
Hanging does many things but it does not make a lean meat carcass like a deer, taste better. The reason for hanging is for the enzymes to start breaking down the muscle tissue and make the meat tender. During this process the "flavor" is enhanced, whether that flavor be good or bad. Gaminess will get gamier, not milder. The fat also breaks down some and will add flavor to the meat which usually means gaminess. Hanging for any length of time over 24-36hrs in anything other than 33-36degrees F will also speed up the process and allow other flavors to get into the meat. Flavors in the surrounding air will be absorbed especially in a garage for instance. It has to do with the higher temps allowing more humidity. Hanging with the hide also slows the cooling process down no matter if ice is used in the cavity. I never hang my animals with a hide and no slaughter house does either. I have actually seen "heated rounds" in deer that have come from ME years back when they were killed, hung with the hide, and the outside air was too cold, causing the hide to insulate the meat to the point where the meat deep in the hind, close to bone, was rotted upon cutting it up. Of course, they too, hung the deer to age it for over a week.
Deer are vegetarians and are what they eat. If they're eating a lot of acorns their meat is often hard to eat due to the taste. This is because a lot of the flavors and even the fragrances are held in the fat. Same for the bones. I bone out my deer completely and remove all fat making all cuts into all boneless cutlets.
Aging also dries the meat out. When you have an animal who's meat moisture quantity is already low, why dry it more? All my deer are processed completely no later than 36hrs after killing them. The only thing I won't do is make my sausage until a few weeks later with the trimmings being froze.
I know many will disagree but that's fine. I grew up working in our family's USDA slaughterhouse. We butchered some of the fanciest beef raised in New England for many high end specialty farms and exclusive restaurants in Boston. Many years of experience in temperature, humidity, hanging time, grind amounts, fat ratios, etc. kept us with the #1 rated federally inspected slaughter house in the NE USA. This rating was based on the gov's own rating system and customer's feedback. It was our business' dedication to constantly be improving the whole process that kept us at the top until we closed the doors.
We also cut up over 150+ deer a year with some of those deer even coming in immediately after being killed so we could dress them out for checking. (yes, we did the field dressing in house if the hunters were close and the kill was fresh). On the return of the carcasses from checking, they were immediately skinned and hung the rest of the week to be cut on Sat. If a deer came in on Thurs., it was cut on sat.
Now, will a big buck be more tender with some hanging, yes, will it taste better with the hanging, not really. Getting the hide off ASAP, pulling all kidney fat out, and letting the meat cool to air temp first, before refrigerating it to the 33-36d, that will make it taste better.
Why is pulling the hide ASAP important? The hide has one main purpose, to protect the deer. It's water repellent, it helps the deer float (hairs are hollow), and because of those hollow hairs, insulates the deer, both from hot and cold. Now, when it's left on after gutting, it insulates the meat from the cold on the outside, but the interior carcass (now exposed and cooling off) actually traps the heat from coming out due to the "cool" layer (about 1") trapping the heat between the hide (insulation). With this trapped heat, even though it will eventually cool down, the meat is actually souring and adding "flavor". And it's this "souring" that accentuates the gaminess even more.

All of the above is the basics of the butchering process and known to true meat processors. I encourage those who butcher their own to actually try what I've stated and see if there's a difference. You will have juicier, better tasting venison.

It sounds like you've had quite a bit of experience in the area. However in about 20 years of hunting and eating venison my personal experience has always been the longer it hung the less gamey the meat. We have had deer that needed to be cut the day they were shot due to temperatures and the meat was extremely gamey. I shot a 192lb buck a couple years ago and let it hang about 5 days in 35-40* temps and it was one of the best tasting deer I've ever had. A lot of our deer have been shot out of the same piece of woods so habitat is less of a factor.

In fact, we've shot 5 moose in our family, the only one we've EVER had taste gamey was butchered the same day it was shot (to our objection). It was de-boned and vacuum sealed, it was bloody and extremely gamey. The last one we shot was about 250lbs heavier, it hung for 7 days and is EXCELLENT, not even a hint of the gamey flavor to it. Maybe it's all in my head, but based on my families experience over dozens of animals hanging helps a lot.

Back
Top Bottom