Am I being given the run around?

This is very, very disturbing to me (posts #1 and #11) NO WONDER repressive gun laws are so easy to pass in southern New England. Even rod and gun clubs are getting into the act.

Back in the day, when the LTC was first started in MA, most towns required membership in a club to be approved for an LTC. Then, the LTC was almost always issued with a "target shooting only" restriction.
And, by the way, membership dues suddenly jumped from $50 / year to $500 / year - or higher.

I am disgusted with the whole idea.

This is very, very disturbing to me (posts #1 and #11) NO WONDER repressive gun laws are so easy to pass in southern New England. Even rod and gun clubs are getting into the act.

Back in the day, when the LTC was first started in MA, most towns required membership in a club to be approved for an LTC. Then, the LTC was almost always issued with a "target shooting only" restriction.
And, by the way, membership dues suddenly jumped from $50 / year to $500 / year - or higher.

I am disgusted with the whole idea.

+1

this falls right under the clubs that require Range Safety Occifers, restrict the use of their outdoor ranges and set up silly video's of how awsome their club is, even though they only let you use the two indoor ranges unless you rub elbows with the kings...

Anyone could be victim of a 209A at any time. Just because you are a member of a club is no assurance that your LTC wasn't yanked today. So, should clubs require a monthly CORI from members?

The point being, anything can happen, but someone that can produce a LTC and doesn't come across as a DB is highly unlikely to be a problem. If they wanted a letter from the chief saying that the person has no legal impediments to owning a gun in order to join, it wouldn't be so bad (and it would legitimize the PD doing a CORI before writing the letter . . . even though they couldn't legally give the subject the results of that CORI) . . . although I still think it unnecessary.

restrict the use of their outdoor ranges and set up silly video's of how awsome their club is, even though they only let you use the two indoor ranges unless you rub elbows with the kings...

Hmm, sounds very familiar.... [wink]

Do I understand this correctly: You aren't allowed to CORI yourself or see the results of your CORI?

Yes you can but you need to send a notarized request form and pay a $25 fee. Isn't this state great?

Edit: In case you're curious: http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/cori_request_personal.pdf

Last edited:
Do I understand this correctly: You aren't allowed to CORI yourself or see the results of your CORI?

Not thru the PD you can't.

Numerous reasons for this, starting with "the use of the computers for background checks is highly regulated by the state and can only be done for a legitimate law enforcement purpose". Joining a club doesn't cut it. I also believe that the data is more comprehensive than what anyone would get thru the channel mentioned above.

All queries are logged as to PD and the operator who made the query. Audits are done and if they determine mis-use, both the PD and operator can be penalized by loss of access (PD) and/or up to suspension/firing for the operator.

Yup, this makes sense. BCI is a RI thing. You go down to the AG's office (same place you get your RI permit) give them $5 (I think) and they give you your BCI. I require it of tenants. It's very common thing to do

... Is it likely? Nope, but I've had my share of people with suspended/revoked D.L.'s hand them to me during traffic stops...

Neither RMV nor local PDs bother to confiscate revoked or suspended DLs. Frequently they don't even bother to notify the individual until quite some time after they've suspended the license. Back when he was young, stupid, and still lived in Mass, my son got cited for driving with a suspended license. According to RMV it had been revoked for 6 months, but he never received any notification until after he was cited. One would hope that the local PD would do a somewhat better job of attempting to get a revoked LTC.

Ken

I've been a member of several local Ma gun clubs and only one asked me for a criminal record check. Needless to say I never joined that club. After I found out about the record check and the high price for membership I asked around and found out if you didn't own several guns like these--

royaloushotgun_2a.jpg

SPECIFICATION Calibers: Available in all common bore sizes.
Action: Holland & Holland patent side lock ejector with hand-detachable locks, two triggers and manual or automatic safety.
Barrels: From 25" to 32" (64cm to 81cm), integral breech construction for use with lead or non-toxic shot. Game or ventilated top-rib, the chokes bored as specified. Superior Proof with 2 ¾" or 3" (70mm or 76mm) chambers.
Stock: Selected walnut, polished and oiled finished to the individual's measurements, with a choice of grip styles, finely checkered, with a gold oval engraved with initials or crest.
Engraving: Traditional 'Royal' scroll engraving pattern; color-hardened or bright finish, the gun's serial number engraved or inlaid in gold.
Prices*
12, 16 and 20-bore £66,700
28-bore and cal. 410 £70,000

you were not well off enough to associate with the upper crust gun owners!! I think the current exchange rate on £70,000 is about 120,000 bucks!

if you didn't own several guns like these--

If I were a rich man I'd buy one, cut the barrel down to 18" with a hacksaw and paint it flat black with a rattle can of Krylon just to piss off the Fudds. If I were a rich man....

that makes more sense in that you don't need a license in NH to own/shoot a gun.

No, it doesn't. I've never belonged to a gun club that asked me for any sort of background check and all have been in states where no licenses to own guns exist. They just ask on the application if you are prohibited by state or federal law and leave it at that.

I'm going to give you some very simple advice: Tell them to go straight to Hell and find another club.

Frankly you should be outraged that they even asked. Why? Because it's outrageous. It's already outrageous that you're required to have an LTC or FID for owning a gun. If the club is even the least bit supportive of that assault on your rights you should be looking for another club. That it would even occur to anyone at the club to have you go through yet more "checks" is enough to spit in their eye and walk out.

frankly i would tell them where to go and also tell them that i have let hundreds/thousands know of this rule of theirs by posting here. any member of that club should be outraged and find another one to join and then watch them change their ways.

Ah Wallum lake, very nice club, very much a bunch of fudds.

When I lived in RI I found that most clubs were a major hassle to join, with all sorts of crap like that. No joining unless you knew a member, long waiting lists to join, very few people would give a simple hello to a new comer, etc. Hell if a club had "open to public" trap or skeet and you weren't a member or someone they knew at another club you got the hairy eyeball. And there's practically no place to legally shoot in that state except for a club.

Scarily enough there are better options, even in Mass.

I will agree probably a good idea to check out other clubs which might be a bit "nicer"...however I will be the devil's advocate against the chorus line of the string of "why would the club want a background check if you have a valid LTC?" How is the club to know its a valid LTC without a back ground check, while unlikely it is not impossible that someone who has had a LTC revoked/etc (209A restrictions) might have managed to hold on to the actual card rather than surender it. Is it likely? Nope, but I've had my share of people with suspended/revoked D.L.'s hand them to me during traffic stops...

I'd like to nominate this post for the "Chuck Schumer Award" in honor of people who impose rules on gun owners above and beyond the idiocy required by law. Thanks for screwing your own team.

No, it doesn't. I've never belonged to a gun club that asked me for any sort of background check and all have been in states where no licenses to own guns exist. They just ask on the application if you are prohibited by state or federal law and leave it at that.

Yeah, that might work for Ohio, but here on the east coast folks like to make up their own rules in order to look "responsible". Otherwise, something bad might happen and then gun laws might get even worse out here. So, logically, they figure we should just make things worse on our own -- screwing themselves just to make sure everything is ready when the government comes along to do its part.

Back
Top Bottom