American Eagle .22 lr High Velocity? No way.

Bt74

NES Member
Picked up a couple of 50 rnd boxes of Federal AE .22 at Bass Pro a few days ago. Took a Llama .22 XV I just bought last week, out to shoot. I'm aware that these pistols are extremely ammunition sensitive, and function best with high velocity ammo. This crap ammo would not even cycle the slide! Had to hand rack it each shot. Tried another mag full, with a different mag, same thing. Kind of bummed...figured the gun had a problem. Then, I loaded the 2 mags up with CCI MiniMags..and blasted through both mags with no problem!!! Bear in mind this is a simple blow back design. I move AE .22 " High Velocity" to the top of the list as GARBAGE ammo, right with Remington Thunderbolt.

Better karma that .22 to me....

Come pick it up, all 84 rounds. I'll even throw in whats left of a box of Thunderbolt that will barely chamber in a bolt action, and then not eject. (Tried it in a pump action too, same result). Bullet on the Thunderbolt mics .226, the CCI- .223.

i have no trouble with AE 22LR. it's not high quality but has always worked fine for me. in a 10/22 or other rifle, it's just fine.

honestly i don't think it's fair to judge any 22LR ammo with a 22 autoloading handgun. the round is already weak and with the short barrel it's asking a lot to get consistent function. at this point i'm not at all surprised when any 22LR ammo fails in a pistol (revolver excluded of course).

for consistent function in my mosquito, SR22 or walther P22, it's CCI 40gr mini-mags or it just ain't worth trying.

Come pick it up, all 84 rounds. I'll even throw in whats left of a box of Thunderbolt that will barely chamber in a bolt action, and then not eject. (Tried it in a pump action too, same result). Bullet on the Thunderbolt mics .226, the CCI- .223.

That is generous of you, thanks very much! I wish I were closer to NH to be able to take advantage.

-chris

i have no trouble with AE 22LR. it's not high quality but has always worked fine for me. in a 10/22 or other rifle, it's just fine.

honestly i don't think it's fair to judge any 22LR ammo with a 22 autoloading handgun. the round is already weak and with the short barrel it's asking a lot to get consistent function. at this point i'm not at all surprised when any 22LR ammo fails in a pistol (revolver excluded of course).

for consistent function in my mosquito, SR22 or walther P22, it's CCI 40gr mini-mags or it just ain't worth trying.

there is no real reason why manufactures can not make a pistol to reliably cycle 22lr SV ? colt did it 50 years ago with the woodsmen, SW with the 41 and few others?
I bet if you ran the AE over the crony it would come up short on Velocity....

Works fine with my Ruger SR22 and in the manual it specifically says that it may not function with target or standard velocity ammo.

Not to hijack (I'll admit I'm too lazy to start another thread lol), but I just picked up 4 333 winchester packs for my dad who just got a SR22. Still hasn't shot it yet but was just curious if people had many issues with the 333 packs with the SR22s?

Hey Andrew my wife's SR22 eats the stuff with maybe a round or 2 every 100 that may nor cycle the slide. for what the 333 and 555 pack's cost I don't mind. The Cheap Blazer works great in it also. Kinda messy with the wax coating but when I see blazer I grab it.

I too have found the federal AE to be garbage. CCI standard velocity cycles my autos all day long. It has nothing to do with the load specs. I can hear the extreme velocity spread. That's how bad it is...

Had problems with it in my SR22 pistol last fall. My SR22 only gets HV copper Winchester or CCI now.

No problems with the AE in my MP15/22. In fact never a malfunction in 1000+ rounds there. I'm thinking I could feed my MP15/22 rounds filled with sand and it would fire just fine.

Hey Andrew my wife's SR22 eats the stuff with maybe a round or 2 every 100 that may nor cycle the slide. for what the 333 and 555 pack's cost I don't mind. The Cheap Blazer works great in it also. Kinda messy with the wax coating but when I see blazer I grab it.

Exactly. At just over 5 cents per round, I'm sure my dad won't mind a few FTF or FTE. Thanks for sharing your experience.

heres the thing, when you find a particular 22lr that functions in your gun and shoots accurately enough for you...BUY A SHIT TON OF IT, o wait still cant do that huh.............

^^this

i have had same experience w my SR22:
-cycles CCI, newer golden bullets an aguila at near 100%.
-most bulk ammo like M22 and federal it cycles like 95% (usually FT-feed on a weak round).
-some ammo it cannot extract at all...for me it can't extract AE 40gr winchester varmint HV

Back
Top Bottom