ammo and grain question.

i will admit that in my research of everything second amendment i have been remiss in my research of the ammunition itself. is 180 grain good as far as general purpose ammunition? it will be mostly range use and i will probably purchase one box of hollow points for if and when i get the ability to carry.

anyways back to the matter at hand this is what i am currently looking at, it says its copper jacketed but steel cased, and i dont want to purchase in bulk something that might damage my barrel. what do you guys think?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...-item.jsp?id=0030650216649a&_requestid=118757

The wolf is fine for practice ammo IMO, but I think you're insane to use anything but the best carry ammo money can buy. Fact is, you'll probably never need your carry ammo, but if you do, you want to be as sure as you can it will do the job. Trying to save $20 on something you may be counting on to save your life seems foolish.

Federal Hydra-Shok is good stuff for carry ammo IMO.

yea thats why i intend to buy about 2000 rounds of the practice ammo, and only 1 box (50 rounds) of hydra-shock, i hope to never have to use them but i am prepared to if i have to, mentally anyway.

I prefer the lighter 165gr Speer Gold Dots for carry ammo for my G22, but I use 180gr Double-Tap Gold Dots in my G29 (10mm). Most in law enforcement and otherwise tend to prefer the 180gr for .40S&W though.

Cheap practice ammo is good, but also buy an extra box of two of the ammo you intend to carry to shoot. You want to know what to expect for your carry ammo, and weaker practice ammo won't completely do that.

Generally speaking, your average 40. ammo like that Wolf stuff, or any "practice" quality ammo is gonna be in 180 grain(Maybe some 165 stuff). Its usually when you get into the fancy HP/self defense ammo that you find other choices. As mentioned above, the Speer GD 165 is a popular choice(For SD Ammo). I think they even make it in a 135 grain as well.

As far as quality of the ammo and hurting your pistol.....

Any of the major ammo brands will be fine. Some may not feed as well as others, but they shouldn't damage your weapon/barrel. I would be hesitant to by reloads unless your sure of the source and quality. [grin]

Last edited:
I would put at least one or two full boxes of your intended carry ammo through your carry gun to make sure they like each other.

Steel cased ammo will not hurt a properly built firearm, despite tales to the contrary. Reliability and dirtiness are the issues with Wolf.

Like others have said Wolf is great for practice and for a SHTF stockpile. I don't have a .40s&w anymore but if I did I would use 180gr ammo. Quality hollow points and flat points for all carry situations (street, woods...), and any FMJ for practice.

I have shot a lot of Wolf ammo without any problems but yes it is dirty.

dirty isnt a problem, i personally find the post range gun cleaning to be very relaxing, kinda like the cool down after a work out, thanks guys you have been a huge help

how do you guys not like it? i mean its just relaxing, especially when you get good at it you can almost do it blindfolded. even do it when your bored, i would probably do it for other people in exchange for a little range time with them or something. out of curiosity how much do you think i could make?

I like cleaning new guns for the first 3 or 4 times, after that it's boring and kind of a hassle, haha. Also the nitro fumes go to my head. [laugh]

I carry Speer Gold Dot 180gr in my G22/M&P40, and practice with WWB.

Back
Top Bottom