Ammo Brands

Hey everyone,
Quick one. I saw on the which 9mm to carry thread someone recommended Speer Gold Dot and Tap ammo. When I go to the local stores I never see this stuff, am I looking in the wrong place or do I need to ask for it?
In your opinion are these 2 better than the Federal Premium jhp w/ rod inside which is what I carry now? Obviously all bullets hurt(kill) but I think you know what I mean.

A lot of the 9mm Hydra Shoks work fairly well, but not all are created equal... which loading are you using? (grains / part number?) The fed tactical stuff, with the
results I've seen, generally looked decent. I don't like that stuff they sell that comes in the little 20 round plastic boxes though. A lot of it doesn't test out very
well, and its generally overpriced.

As far as the other brands go, sometimes you just have to ask for them. In my case I got lucky and loaded up on Speer GDHP 124 and 124 +P last year at the Marlboro gun show... someone was selling a bunch of it at reasonable prices in the 50 round boxes... those seem to be hard to find, though.

-Mike

9mm--fed. prem. hst hp 124 grain// P9HST1
.45--fed. prem. hydra-shock JHP 230 grain// P45HS1G
38 special--Hornady JHP/XTP 158 grain
357 magnum--fed. prem. hydra-shock JHP 130 grain// PD357HS2H
These seem to be the "best" ican buy at the 4 stores I go to,
Shooters Box
Collectors
Four Seasons
Gun and Sport

Don't use the Hydra-Shoks that come in the 20 round packs, those are reduced recoil aka less powerful. Use the 50 round boxes that FS carries. Those have been a standard load for many LE agencies for years.

Or federal HSTs, which are the new Federal offering for LE loads. That's the 9mm that I use for HD (after the .45s, obviously)

One interesting round I want to try is the .30 carbine Corbon DPX load with the all copper Barnes bullet. Expansion looks sick on it. Should make an interesting hunting round if I can find a place that it's legal to use.

Don't use the Hydra-Shoks that come in the 20 round packs, those are reduced recoil aka less powerful. Use the 50 round boxes that FS carries. Those have been a standard load for many LE agencies for years.

At the springfield show I picked up a couple 50rd boxes of Hydra-Shok Tactical (P9HS2G1) for $30/box. At the time I didnt realize these were different than the Hydra-Shock personal defense (PDHS5 H) I got at Dicks for much more ($25 for 20).

The specs on the box for the low recoil personal defense rounds are 1050fps muzzle velocity with 330ft-lbs energy where as the tactical say 930fps muzzle velocity and 280ft-lbs energy.

Which is the better round?

Back
Top Bottom