• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo in house fire - again

Isn’t an accelerant a hazard to the fire department, especially in unknown quantities? With unknown storage conditions, it can make it more than just an accelerants.
Point is I don’t blame the FD for not going in to a structure with unknown conditions and rounds cooking off, That’s what insurance is for
yes an accelerant is a hazard - you'll notice my sentence structure makes that clear.

Most states don't even have that bullshit.

It was only ever a thing in mass because mass is fabulously gay.
Ammo storage requirements get the ungovernables all worked up figuring out how to properly store ammo with permission from the FD, they think it is mandatory otherwise everything will just blow up..

I would imagine getting permission to store ammo from the FD is like guaranteeing that they aren't entering your house if it's on fire, because you know, it could turn into napalm and blow up like the Oklahoma Fed building lol

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] "Jordan Turner and Bri Simon" .........(undoubtedly miserable democrats and WOKE AS CAN BE).....probably the neighborhood Karens, always snooping into everyone else's business.

The guy wore fatigues?.....OMFG!!!!!.......call the FBI!!!!! How brain damaged does a person have to be to be so mentally manipulated by the clothing that someone wears? If the guy walked around all the time in a business suit, would they opine that he's some rich elitist that's screwing the average joe? PEOPLE SUCK!!!!

I wear fatigues around here frequently......they're comfortable in 3 seasons and useful when going out in the woods on my property. Plenty of pockets, loose fitting and don't stand out.
I look super tactical in my daily Kitanica attire.

At first look, people might be scared.

I'm a friendly fellow, though.

The whole town knows me.

I'm eccentric but not a threat.

I don't own any guns at home either.

They call them foundation savers for a reason……
In your experience on the FD What is the purpose for the storage permit for what they call large amounts of ammo, powder and primers?
Not a problem at all.
primers pop, nothing more.

Ammo won't penetrate the metal ammo cans. It also won't do much if not in an ammo can.

Powder burns very fast and is over in under a minute. It burns so fast, powder containers next to it won't ignite.

See video in the link I posted above.

Out of everything you have at home, powder, ammo and primers are the least of a firefighters concern. (As long as you are not a moron that keeps powder in a container that could explode, like a safe with no ventilation).

I've never tried it but I've heard plenty of times that cooked off ammo just pops a few few feet away and doesn't travel fast like a fired bullet, since there's no chamber to hold in the expanding gasses and allow the bullet to escape down the barrel. Wouldn't the fire fighters been just fine, especially since they are wearing gear that protects them from hot stuff like cooked off ammo?
Not just that but because the brass has less mass the brass pops off the bullet typically so you have flying shell casings with little mass and no real appreciable momentum.

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] "Jordan Turner and Bri Simon" .........(undoubtedly miserable democrats and WOKE AS CAN BE).....probably the neighborhood Karens, always snooping into everyone else's business.

The guy wore fatigues?.....OMFG!!!!!.......call the FBI!!!!! How brain damaged does a person have to be to be so mentally manipulated by the clothing that someone wears? If the guy walked around all the time in a business suit, would they opine that he's some rich elitist that's screwing the average joe? PEOPLE SUCK!!!!

I wear fatigues around here frequently......they're comfortable in 3 seasons and useful when going out in the woods on my property. Plenty of pockets, loose fitting and don't stand out.

I try to avoid wearing pants whenever possible. I wonder how Bri would feel about that...............

I try to avoid wearing pants whenever possible. I wonder how Bri would feel about that...............
Mayhaps you should show Bri your

73356MC_256_COMMANDO_KILT_MULTICAM_01.jpg

FWIW I cannot hear "Bri" without getting in my head:

Jesus Christ. Bri and Ry? Like cheese and bread? You’re naming your kids after cheese and bread?

Well, I never thought of it like that.

You should have. It’s perfect for an incestuous lesbian stage show, though. "The Incestuous Lesbian Duo, Bread and Cheese LeManne." What’s the tagline going to be? "Hey, Bri, come over here and spread some on me?"

*click*

What about the possibility of powder, 8 pound jugs of smokeless powder will react with a bit different than loaded ammo,
Smokeless powder is a propellant not an explosive. It just burns when not confined in a pressure vessel (loaded cartridge in a fire arm chamber). It does not explode.

Last edited:
Isn’t an accelerant a hazard to the fire department, especially in unknown quantities? With unknown storage conditions, it can make it more than just an accelerants.
Point is I don’t blame the FD for not going in to a structure with unknown conditions and rounds cooking off, That’s what insurance is for

There’s a ton of fires that have accelerants in the building making things more difficult for firefighters. Ever see one of the houses where the garage is kind of built into the basement? Sometimes what’s in that basement garage causes the fire and there’s fuel, cars, etc. in there. That’s a bitch. It’s going to be a judgement call each time based on the conditions. I don’t blame them for not going into this one either if that was their call. But also you have to consider that they don’t necessarily know if the rounds cooking off are cooking off or if there are shots being fired. Firefighters have been killed by nutjobs who set their house on fire and shot at first responders. Or people who have booby trapped their house in order to kill first responders.

Bingo
Give this man a cigar
INSURANCE
You have ammo so too much of a insurance risk
DENIED ……
Back door gun control

I would imagine getting permission to store ammo from the FD is like guaranteeing that they aren't entering your house if it's on fire, because you know, it could turn into napalm and blow up like the Oklahoma Fed building lol
I can tell you that in the vast majority of towns the FD isn’t flagging those houses and will judge the situation based on what it looks like when they arrive

I've never tried it but I've heard plenty of times that cooked off ammo just pops a few few feet away and doesn't travel fast like a fired bullet, since there's no chamber to hold in the expanding gasses and allow the bullet to escape down the barrel. Wouldn't the fire fighters been just fine, especially since they are wearing gear that protects them from hot stuff like cooked off ammo?
Fire chief told my wife ammo is low on the worry list when there is a fire.

What about the possibility of powder, 8 pound jugs of smokeless powder will react with a bit different than loaded ammo,
Not really , smokeless needs to be “contained” to be “dangerous”
Sure 8lbs of smokeless will set off a good fire ball and scare the shit out of you.

February 1965 our old farm house went up. My dad was a re-loader and had several kegs of gun powder on the 3rd floor attic space. It didn't go off thankfully.

Not just that but because the brass has less mass the brass pops off the bullet typically so you have flying shell casings with little mass and no real appreciable momentum.
Many moons ago the 22lr duds went into the camp fire as a boy scout. They where far less dangerous than “sap pop” from the burning wood.

Black powder is more dangerous, but even still only marginally so unless you leave it next to a plastic bag 1/4th full of gasoline. I bet that basement heating oil tanks kill more firefighters than powdered propellants.

Propellant != explosive

Sure 8lbs of smokeless will set off a good fire ball and scare the shit out of you.
I bet a big fireball can do more that scare the shit out of you, I had a friend burned pretty bad by black powder back in the day.

I have burnt ammo in a 55 gallon drum, I know it is not dangerous, The point here is if a residential fire in an average house is so involved that small arms ammo is cooking off I wouldn’t expect much to be saved other than the foundation.
In that same fire 100 thousand rounds of small arms ammo May not be much of a problem, but a 100 lbs of powder may be. Not from an explosion, but the heat it would generate inside the home.
It wasn’t that long ago powder came in metal cans, not that that would make much difference anyway, but everyone keeps saying plastic jugs, most reloaders I know have a have a lifetime supply of powder

As for foundation savers, response time is the major reason for fires reaching catastrophic proportions. A fire doubles in size about every minute or less.
Notification of a dispatcher of the fire, dispatch to volunteers, travel time to apparatus, travel time to the fireground............any fire by then is well underway. Then add to that lack of large water supply, possible difficulties in finding the residence (especially rural ) so there's not much to be done once firefighters are on scene except to contain it to the building of origin and protect exposures.

It doesn't explode. It burns quickly and consumes flammable material then for the most part goes out. At least it did in a certain fire in a town I am familiar with. Confined is another story.

The point here is if a residential fire in an average house is so involved that small arms ammo is cooking off I wouldn’t expect much to be saved other than the foundation.
In that same fire 100 thousand rounds of small arms ammo May not be much of a problem, but a 100 lbs of powder may be. Not from an explosion, but the heat it would generate inside the home.
It wasn’t that long ago powder came in metal cans, not that that would make much difference anyway, but everyone keeps saying plastic jugs, most reloaders I know have a have a lifetime supply of powder
The whole house doesn’t have to be on fire to cool off ammo. Just the room or part of the house that has the ammo in it.

100 pounds of powder on fire would be a major problem. A lot less would still be a massive problem. That heat would raise the temperate to flashover conditions much faster. However you look at it, accelerant on fire is going to cause the rate of the fire to grow and spread much faster creating more dangerous conditions.

Ammo itself cooking off isn’t much of a threat.

Black powder is more dangerous, but even still only marginally so unless you leave it next to a plastic bag 1/4th full of gasoline. I bet that basement heating oil tanks kill more firefighters than powdered propellants.

Propellant != explosive
No. Black powder is the explosive, smokeless is the propellant. I doubt oil tanks are as much of a danger unless punctured.

I look super tactical in my daily Kitanica attire.

At first look, people might be scared.

I'm a friendly fellow, though.

The whole town knows me.

I'm eccentric but not a threat.

I don't own any guns at home either.
Is there an embroidered patch stating you date a model? That will put anyone at ease.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom