Ammo prices: Maine (?)

It's a big ol' state, and with gas prices what they are, I'm probably not going to shuffle down to Kittery or anywhere else more than a county or two away from where I am. (If it would even be worth the trip.)
But since I just discovered there's a Dick's Sporting Goods even closer to me than the one in Augusta, I thought I'd ask about that. The company's Web site doesn't inspire confidence as far as buying bulk ammo from them, or any firearms ammo. Searching the site for "ammunition" and "rifle" just brought up all their AirSoft and paintball stuff. Nice, but not on my "must have" list right now.
If I can find what I need by expending some travel time and gas, and paying sales tax, that's good. If I have to Google all over the country and then figure in shipping costs in order to find the best price, that's okay, too.
Has anyone made a "good haul" at Dick's lately?

Last edited:
IIf I have to Google all over the country and then figure in shipping costs in order to find the best price, that's okay, too.
Has anyone made a "good haul" at Dick's lately?

Meanie-14,

I recollect receiving a Maine Dick's flyer in/around the February 2008 time frame. Back then, they were advertising gun safes $150 below list and ammo, buy one get one at 50% off list. (Off topic, about the same time I bought another Sentry 14-gun electronic non-fireproof safe at the Waterville Wallmart for $250 on clearance).

IANAL but my gut instinct is that unlike MA [crying], most dealers/distributers have no issue shipping ammo to Maine and again, my gut instinct is that in bulk, you'll get a better deal mail order than you will at Dicks (They don't call it Dicks for no reason [smile]). Please check ME laws...

V/R,

-ed

PS: Didn't ME find some half-dog-half-yettie-half-wolf creature dead over in Turner this year?? If so, you'll need all the ammo you can find!!! [smile]

I recollect receiving a Maine Dick's flyer in/around the February 2008 time frame. Back then, they were advertising gun safes $150 below list and ammo, buy one get one at 50% off list.
The one-and-a-half deal doesn't sound too bad. I don't know as I'll make a special trip down there, but if I'm in the Topsham or Augusta area sometime and have the chance, I might pop in and see what they have.
My local "FFL guy" told me I could probably get a better deal over the 'Net than even his wholesale price, so . . .

IANAL but my gut instinct is that unlike MA [crying], most dealers/distributers have no issue shipping ammo to Maine and again, my gut instinct is that in bulk, you'll get a better deal mail order than you will at Dicks. Please check ME laws...
As far as I know, absolutely no legal hassles up here about buying ammo by mail/Internet. (I paid UMaine Fort Kent some good money a couple of years ago to give me some edumacation on Maine criminal law and other stuff.) As long as they get the usual paperwork saying the buyer is of age, etc., I haven't seen a vendor yet who won't ship to Pine Tree Land.
I was kinda surprised to see one of the footnotes (#20) in the Sportsman's Guide catalog that means "Cannot be shipped to ME or MS." I've never seen any item with that footnote in its listing, so I can't imagine what it could be. Yeti costumes, maybe? [wink]

PS: Didn't ME find some half-dog-half-yettie-half-wolf creature dead over in Turner this year?? If so, you'll need all the ammo you can find!!! [smile]
I missed that story. Guess I better get another case of anti-zombie loads. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom