ammo storage?

Sorry if this is a noobish question but I've already searched the site.

Ignoring any legal issues, what is the best way to store ammo for a long period of time? Also, does anyone know where to get good, lockable ammo cans?

Thanks.

Sorry if this is a noobish question but I've already searched the site.

Ignoring any legal issues, what is the best way to store ammo for a long period of time? Also, does anyone know where to get good, lockable ammo cans?

Thanks.
A cool, dry place. That's basically all you need.

I bought some of the MTM Ammo Cans (plastic and lockable) and really like them. I've got about 1700 rnds of 9mm (boxed) in one can. So they hold a good amount. I got them online and can't remember where.

Check your local Army/Navy store, they usually have cans.

So Len ......... does something bad happen if you mix calibers (boxed of course) in one can, or is it just prudent to have a full can of each caliber [rofl]

So Len ......... does something bad happen if you mix calibers (boxed of course) in one can, or is it just prudent to have a full can of each caliber [rofl]

Yes, it does and no joke.

I had boxes of .40 and .45 in one can and was talking with Jim Conway as I was reloading mags at Tyngsboro one day. Noticed that the cases split and a round popped off a loaded mag.

Then came to the dumb realization that I had loaded .40S&W in my 1911 mags and fired them. No harm, but it was due to inattention and two calibers in the same can. [thinking]

Also if I'm shooting a particular caliber, it's easier to know what you have in stock and grab the can and go.

Yes, it does and no joke.

I had boxes of .40 and .45 in one can and was talking with Jim Conway as I was reloading mags at Tyngsboro one day. Noticed that the cases split and a round popped off a loaded mag.

Then came to the dumb realization that I had loaded .40S&W in my 1911 mags and fired them. No harm, but it was due to inattention and two calibers in the same can. [thinking]

Also if I'm shooting a particular caliber, it's easier to know what you have in stock and grab the can and go.
I did a similar thing one day. I brought two guns to the range -- a stainless 1911 and a stainless Delta Elite.

I shot the .45 for a while, then decided to shoot the Delta Elite. Spaced out and picked up the .45 again when I meant to pick up the Delta Elite -- hey, they are both basically stainless 1911s. Popped in the Delta Elite magazine and cycled the slide. When the 10mm cartridge fell out the end of the barrel on the ground, I figured that was a clue that I had screwed something up [slap]

Yup...had the same thing happen with my Defender. Loaded a .40 into the mag while chatting with my girlfriend. Bang, Bang, Bang, pffft...I tilted the muzzle downward and waited to clear the malfunction - an empty .40 S&W slid down the barrel and onto the ground....Always check your ammo became my mantra...As for ammo cans, USGI work for me. I have some that I locked by using a drill a hasp and about 2-minutes of time.

If people have made modifications to their ammo cans to lock them up, could you provide pics? I'd like to get mine out of my safe.

Digital crapped the bed, but I can explain it pretty easily:

Take your .50cal ammo can and a medium sized hasp from the hardware store. Use it as a template and mark for holes near the front side of the can, (right or left). With a good drill bit, clear your holes, mount the hasp, add your lock and you're done. The down side is that for storing boxed ammo or loaded magazines, you loose a teenie bit of space to allow for the bolts protruding inside the can - for loose ammo it's less of a problem. The upside is that it's extremely secure - you'd have to be motivated to break into it.

Digital crapped the bed, but I can explain it pretty easily:

Take your .50cal ammo can and a medium sized hasp from the hardware store. Use it as a template and mark for holes near the front side of the can, (right or left). With a good drill bit, clear your holes, mount the hasp, add your lock and you're done. The down side is that for storing boxed ammo or loaded magazines, you loose a teenie bit of space to allow for the bolts protruding inside the can - for loose ammo it's less of a problem. The upside is that it's extremely secure - you'd have to be motivated to break into it.

Well, not really that motivated. It's enough to keep young curious hands out of it but a large screwdriver will pop the hinge pins off with a little effort.

This method of locking a military can is a good one. I've done it and using short screws and nylon stop nuts provides a smoothe finish on the inside.

Another method would be to use steel rivets and peen them into place and smoothe them out inside, removing any sharp edges.

I store most of my bulk ammo in the basement of my home. Instead of locking the ammo cans themselves, I lock the cans in an old 4-drawer file cabinet. They're cheaply available and they can hold a ton of ammo. It just so happens that ammo cans fit in the drawers perfectly.

I store most of my bulk ammo in the basement of my home. Instead of locking the ammo cans themselves, I lock the cans in an old 4-drawer file cabinet. They're cheaply available and they can hold a ton of ammo. It just so happens that ammo cans fit in the drawers perfectly.

I have a two door, steel office supply cabinet in my garage for paint and things like that but I'm thinking I need another for my basement.

A couple of things I like about the file cabinets are that they have drawer slides that are strong enough to hold a drawer full of ammo, and because the drawers pull out, I'm no longer rummaging around to find what I'm looking for.

I use an old filing cabinet too. Like EC said, they are available cheap, loads of room, and the drawers do help in making things easy to find.

Matt

I store my ammo in a Army Ammo box in a room that is not being used my me or my wife. The heat is turned down in that room and it is also dry. The ammo box is a good start IMO.

I have a lot old military ammo cans from back when I was in the Marines. Kept stuff stored in them for years without any problems. I think you can still get them at a surplus store fairly cheap.

Back
Top Bottom