• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE SPINAL CORD INJURY TRUST FUND

DRAFT:

According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, the number one cause of spinal cord injuries is automobile accidents. Car crashes account for nearly half of the spinal cord injuries in the U.S. The number two cause of spinal cord injuries is falls. Acts of violence, which include gun and knife and beating injuries, are third on the list-but only account for a little more than 10 percent of all spinal cord injuries.

I am a law abiding citizen of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and therefore have gone through great difficulty to secure my LTC permit in accordance with MGL. I feel that I’m already being wrongly discriminated against by not being able to legally purchase specific items thanks to the Attorney General's "Consumer Safety" regulations. In addition to this, I have to be periodically hassled to renew my license and pay an additional $100.00 "fee" for the "privilege" of being fingerprinted and photographed like a common criminal and having my file maintained by the same agency which maintains criminal records.

Now Rep. James H. Fagan wants me to pay an additional $25.00 tax every time I buy a handgun in order to fund spinal cord research to, in part, benefit people injured by the criminal misuse of a handgun. There is no basis or standing for this proposal to further tax law abiding citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in this manner since there is no correlation between these acts of violence and those of law abiding citizens like me. To be clear, as a law abiding citizen not involved in the criminal misuse handguns by definition, I'm insulted by the suggestion that I should pay for anything related to the criminal misuse of handguns. I’m willing to bet that the criminal who shot MacArthur Williams did not obtain his handgun legally and I doubt that same individual was the holder of a valid LTC.

If Rep. Fagan were truly interested in helping his constituents that suffer from SCI, then he would be proposing this surtax on every automobile sold in Massachusetts not on handguns and builders. In fact, by Dr. Ruby’s own circumstances this would be warranted. There are far more purchasers of automobiles than purchasers of handguns and automobiles cause nearly 50% of the injuries. The revenue generated by such an act would be much larger than that gained off handgun purchases. Why then hasn’t Rep. Fagan made that proposal instead? The answer is simple. Rep. Fagan is apparently more comfortable further victimizing handgun owners and collectors with punitive, unfair, additional taxes and sees this as an easy target than fighting the entire Commonwealths licensed drivers. Perhaps Rep. Fagan doesn’t have the courage of his political convictions in this case to risk the wrath of automobile purchasers who might not understand why they should pay a tax for spinal cord research programs?

Let me be clear. While I’m sympathetic to the circumstances of Dr. Ruby and MacArthur Williams and others like them this is not the proper venue for solicitation of funds for their cause. In fact, it may just be that the opposite is true and ask them to reconsider their position. Why? As a tax payer I object to this trend of using legislation to make mandatory donations to such healthcare and charitable causes. It’s a blatant misuse of our government, tax payer money, and is morally wrong. We the people of the Commonwealth, who are charitable at heart, donate millions upon millions to organizations like this every year. We don’t need to have the legislature increasing our taxes at every whim of some special interest group by stepping in to decide who we must donate to and by how much.

Therefore, I respectfully ask that you toss deny this or any other petition like it that seeks mandatory donations to charitable organizations based on perceived cause and effect.

I like it, but, the last sentence in the third paragraph doesn't belong. "Willing to bet" is not a good phrase to use in a petition. Also, in the last paragraph the word "toss" needs to be taken out.

But I think the rest is great.

I would change "willing to bet" to I would wager - also - You need a comma in this one: While I’m sympathetic to the circumstances of Dr. Ruby and MacArthur Williams and others like them, this is not the proper venue for solicitation of funds for their cause.

"Studies by the US Bureau of Justice Statistics indicate it's highly unlikely that the criminal who shot ..."

Good job. You might also want to counter the obvious "guns only kill and maim" retort by stating that not only do automobiles kill and injure more people than firearms, but that the average car is more likely to kill or seriously injure someone over it's useful life than is the average firearm (excluding actual military action). I can provide statistics on that if you want them.

Ken

Yet another obscene abuse of government by the nanny state.

It's all about money, power and control. Deny government all of them at every opportunity.

H. 2895 AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE SPINAL CORD INJURY TRUST FUND

"...there shall be an additional fee (again TAX) equal to the amount of sales tax paid on any ammunition purchased within the Commonwealth..." said money shall be forwarded to the State Treasurer for deposit into the Spinal Cord Injury Trust Fund."

House Petition 2895, Filed "By Request" Rep. James H. Fagan, Eric J. Ruby, MD

You can read the petition for youself here: http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/185/ht02pdf/ht02895.pdf

H. 2896 AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE SPINAL CORD INJURY TRUST FUND

House Petition 2896, Rep. James H. Fagan, Eric J. Ruby, MD

"...there shall be a $25.00 fee (again TAX) assessed on the purchase or registration of any motorcycle or ATV purchased or registered in the Commonwealth, said money shall be forwarded to the State Treasurer for deposit into the Spinal Cord Injury Trust Fund."

You can read the petition for youself here: http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/185/ht02pdf/ht02896.pdf

Let me be clear about something here. Rep James H. Fagan is a gun owner. He is rumored to be (need to confirm) a member of the MA Waterfowlers.

According to Rep. Fagan's aide, he does not support the "sticking it to gun owners" aspect of any of these bills. He is, however, required to file any bill at the request of a constituient, even if he does not agree with it.

Let me be clear about something here. Rep James H. Fagan is a gun owner. He is rumored to be (need to confirm) a member of the MA Waterfowlers.

According to Rep. Fagan's aide, he does not support the "sticking it to gun owners" aspect of any of these bills. He is, however, required to file any bill at the request of a constituient, even if he does not agree with it.

The other thing is that 99.9% of the time when one of these "By Request" bills comes in - its Dead On Arrival (DOA).

This should not, however, dissuade anyone from writing him or the entire JOINT COMMITTEE ON HEALTH CARE FINANCING.

I will post each Committee members GOAL rating shortly.

H. 1133 AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE SPINAL CORD INJURY TRUST FUND

The other thing is that 99.9% of the time when one of these "By Request" bills comes in - its Dead On Arrival (DOA).

This should not, however, diswade anyone from writing him or the entire JOINT COMMITTEE ON HEALTH CARE FINANCING.

I will post each Committee members GOAL rating shortly.

Senate

A+ - Moore of Worcester and Norfolk - Chair
D - Tolman of Second Suffolk and Middlesex - Vice-Chair
F - Jehlen of Second Middlesex
D - Fargo of Third Middlesex
F - Spilka of Second Middlesex and Norfolk
D - Candaras of First Hampden and Hampshire
A+ - Tarr of Essex and Middlesex

House

A+ - Walrath of Stow - Chair
A+ - Kulik of Worthington - Vice-Chair
C - Hynes of Marshfield
D - Koczera of New Bedford
F - Khan of Newton
F - Linsky of Natick
A - Kane of Holyoke
A - Kocot of Northampton
NR - Speranzo of Pittsfield
NR - D'Amico of Seekonk
NR - Puppolo of Springfield
A+ - Hargraves of Groton
A - Gifford of Wareham

H. 1133 AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE SPINAL CORD INJURY TRUST FUND

Senate

House

C - Hynes of Marshfield
F - Khan of Newton
F - Linsky of Natick
A - Kane of Holyoke
A - Kocot of Northampton
NR - D'Amico of Seekonk
A+ - Hargraves of Groton
A - Gifford of Wareham

H. 2895 AN ACT RELATIVE TO THE SPINAL CORD INJURY TRUST FUND

Senate

House

C - Hynes of Marshfield
F - Khan of Newton
F - Linsky of Natick
A - Kane of Holyoke
A - Kocot of Northampton
NR - D'Amico of Seekonk
A+ - Hargraves of Groton
A - Gifford of Wareham

"Studies by the US Bureau of Justice Statistics indicate it's highly unlikely that the criminal who shot ..."

Good job. You might also want to counter the obvious "guns only kill and maim" retort by stating that not only do automobiles kill and injure more people than firearms, but that the average car is more likely to kill or seriously injure someone over it's useful life than is the average firearm (excluding actual military action). I can provide statistics on that if you want them.

Ken

No need to offer statistics. He can just ask old Teddy about this one!

What about freakin trampolines? How many kids suffer spinal cord injuries each year. It's funny that your insurance carrier will drop you arse if you have one in the yard but they NEVER ask you if there are guns in the home. What's that tell you?

What about freakin trampolines? How many kids suffer spinal cord injuries each year. It's funny that your insurance carrier will drop you arse if you have one in the yard but they NEVER ask you if there are guns in the home. What's that tell you?

What about football, soccer, hockey and lacrosse equipment, swimming pools, diving boards, stairs, ladders, truck suspensions, motorcycles, off road all terrain vehicles, free weights, all of which individually contribute overwhelmingly more to spinal injuries on a daily basis than guns or ammo do in a lifetime?

Back
Top Bottom