An interesting take on guns from the other side.

Thanks. Interesting article. My family never owned guns, that I knew of. Turns out my uncle Steve was a upland bird hunter. Behind his house. In BROCKTON! (Back in the 60's when behind his house was all woods.) Exactly what he experienced is how I got into guns. I didn't KNOW anyone who I thought was into guns. And the MSM in the 80's was "except for Hollywood, guns'r'bad'um'kay?

But. . . regarding the article. . . . . Possibly just behind teh "I'm going to record you and voice-over my own questions to sound smarter" audio interview, I dislike the "I'm going to make these questions sound like a 4th grader said them in my article." It just ruins the flow. "That hurts my heart"????? LOL. I'm talking to you, WSJ Podcasters and Steve Levitt specifically.

From the article:
He stressed how he did not want the stereotypical gun owner in his classes. I’m going to read his description calling out the “male-dominated gun world” because it hit me so hard: “Conservative, nationalistic, right-wing, homophobic, transphobic, and misogynistic” I thought, “Oh, my, I don’t think that’s the world I live in!”

Ooh, really close on this one.

Do they just look at pictures of guns in the class or actually touch them?

If it brings in more firearm owners, great, but seems like people are growing up with rice paper thin skin these days.

I’ve been in a lot of gun shops who are staffed by ex military types or crusty, grouchy, old farts who bitch about their prostate. It’s kind of a stereotype. I can see where women or college types might be uncomfortable.
Meh… i’m more concerned about the flat beer and Nazi memorabilia at the gun shows and the overall stupidity of almost everybody there.

To each his own. It’s not so much the Nazi stuff. It’s the guy selling it and the people who were looking at it. Then you got a factor in almost all that fake. If for some reason, I wanted a copy of mein compf or a Hitler youth knife I wouldn’t be buying it at the gun show. You’d have to get that stuff from like an estate auction or something.

I swear to God, one show I went to this guy had a display that I just had a jar of teeth. Like what the f***? If it was at an estate sale, it definitely peaked my curiosity.

None of that stuff helps our cause

I’ve been in a lot of gun shops who are staffed by ex military types or crusty, grouchy, old farts who bitch about their prostate. It’s kind of a stereotype. I can see where women or college types might be uncomfortable.
I realize what you are saying, anyone trying to take up a new skill or hobby is going to have to move out of their comfort zone and learn something new in spite of being uncomfortable.

If you want a firearm, you have to go into a store that sells them.

Not every gun store is populated with mouth breathing, ex-military serial killers...though there might be a couple. /s

I feel uncomfortable going in fabric stores, but I still have done it when it becomes necessary.

I realize what you are saying, anyone trying to take up a new skill or hobby is going to have to move out of their comfort zone and learn something new in spite of being uncomfortable.
If you want a firearm, you have to go into a store that sells them.
I feel uncomfortable going in fabric stores, but I still have done it when it becomes necessary.
If there was a "craft" store that didn't have the weird overtones of Hobby Lobby or the pastels overdose of Joann, I might be more comfortable shopping.

It's even more difficult for gun stores to try something different to be less off-putting to new people from outside "gun culture" -- the barrier to entry is set so high (feds, Mass, etc).

Last edited:
From the article:
He stressed how he did not want the stereotypical gun owner in his classes. I’m going to read his description calling out the “male-dominated gun world” because it hit me so hard: “Conservative, nationalistic, right-wing, homophobic, transphobic, and misogynistic” I thought, “Oh, my, I don’t think that’s the world I live in!”

Ooh, really close on this one.

Do they just look at pictures of guns in the class or actually touch them?

If it brings in more firearm owners, great, but seems like people are growing up with rice paper thin skin these days.
I've been a supporter of Prof. Yamane's work for a couple of years. What I particularly like about his work is that he emphasizes that "Guns Are Normal and Normal People Use Guns". Just to be clear, the quote above is NOT from Prof. Yamane but him quoting a guy who runs a firearms instruction business exclusively for progressives. Yamane spends a lot of time and effort to show the "anti's" that gun ownership is not some weird fetish but part of mainline American culture and that gun owners are "normal" people (whatever that means).

ETA: You can get a copy of his book from Amazon :
Gun Curious by David Yamane

Meh… i’m more concerned about the flat beer and Nazi memorabilia at the gun shows and the overall stupidity of almost everybody there.

To each his own. It’s not so much the Nazi stuff. It’s the guy selling it and the people who were looking at it. Then you got a factor in almost all that fake. If for some reason, I wanted a copy of mein compf or a Hitler youth knife I wouldn’t be buying it at the gun show. You’d have to get that stuff from like an estate auction or something.

I swear to God, one show I went to this guy had a display that I just had a jar of teeth. Like what the f***? If it was at an estate sale, it definitely peaked my curiosity.

None of that stuff helps our cause

What if the estate’s decedent bought the stuff from a gun show? 🤔

Thanks. Interesting article. My family never owned guns, that I knew of. Turns out my uncle Steve was a upland bird hunter. Behind his house. In BROCKTON! (Back in the 60's when behind his house was all woods.) Exactly what he experienced is how I got into guns. I didn't KNOW anyone who I thought was into guns. And the MSM in the 80's was "except for Hollywood, guns'r'bad'um'kay?

But. . . regarding the article. . . . . Possibly just behind teh "I'm going to record you and voice-over my own questions to sound smarter" audio interview, I dislike the "I'm going to make these questions sound like a 4th grader said them in my article." It just ruins the flow. "That hurts my heart"????? LOL. I'm talking to you, WSJ Podcasters and Steve Levitt specifically.
Feel like you probably can still just shoot birds behind your house in Brockton no one would know the difference

I've been a supporter of Prof. Yamane's work for a couple of years. What I particularly like about his work is that he emphasizes that "Guns Are Normal and Normal People Use Guns". Just to be clear, the quote above is NOT from Prof. Yamane but him quoting a guy who runs a firearms instruction business exclusively for progressives. Yamane spends a lot of time and effort to show the "anti's" that gun ownership is not some weird fetish but part of mainline American culture and that gun owners are "normal" people (whatever that means).

ETA: You can get a copy of his book from Amazon :
Gun Curious by David Yamane
If that is his position, then I support this guy...firearms are normal.

I find it disappointing that some people use going into a firearm store as an excuse for not wanting to protect themselves because of the people who work there.

Maybe they should lay down on the floor and start punching themselves, they accomplish nothing.

With attitudes like that, they will never get laid or leave their domicile...yea, yea, I have seen some of them. They will have to snap out of it and learn to live a little.
Most of us did that when we were 15 and not 30.

Last edited:
I would suggest that any lefty that's afraid to go into most gun shops in 2024 is probably mentally ill. (Although it could be argued that's a redundant term lol) They need therapy more than they need a gun. Most gun shops aren't going to give a shit who you voted for or what religion you are as long as you don't start proselytizing to the other customers. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom