And You Thought FoxFire Was A Browser

Yesterday afternoon I was moving some things off the back porch when I noticed some movement just in the woods. There was a Red Fox standing there and when I looked at him I noticed he had mange. Ah crap, not again. I just shot a butt ugly coyote with the mange a month and a half ago. This fox wasn't too bad but nonetheless had to go. I ran down to the safe and grabbed the shotgun then thought ah hell I had the buttpad removed. Instead this time I grabbed a 22. One shot did it but put another in him for insurance. This mange sucks. I'd love to be getting some pelts out of this!
Since I couldn't bury him and the dump wouldn't take him, I was left with burning him. So be it a Fox Fire!

burningfox.jpg

maingefox2.jpg

maingefox1.jpg

You let him sit for a while didn't you? The cold/rigamortis has his neck stiff. Where was your shot placed? Surprised one shot did the trick unless it was a shot square to the head. I've shot animals that size and they stil jump around a bit when they catch a .22 in the melon but it's mostly nerves at that point.

He sat long enough for me to run an errand and grab my camera. I know he almost looks like he was alive still but it is rigor. Slightly angled frontal shot in soft triangle that angled out behind the opposite shoulder from 35 yds. I was surpised it even exited and produced a decent blood trail. He ran about 50 yds and just laid down so I just put another one in him just to make sure. CCI Stingers. I would never make a habit of using a 22 for fox and consider myself lucky this time. I was not offered a head shot because of brush and I tried not to hit bone. My intent was sending it through the cavity as far as it would travel.

Back
Top Bottom