Announcing Commonwealth Second Amendment

Comm2A

Director Comm2a
Dealer
NES Member
July 19th, 2010

Today marks a turning point in the history of Second Amendment infringement in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and New England. Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc (Comm2A), a Massachusetts registered non-profit corporation,* was created to ensure that the birthplace of liberty and this great nation once again becomes a beacon of freedom for individual firearms rights. For years the exercise of this fundamental right by Massachusetts residents has been subject to unfair, unequal, and discriminatory treatment by the law and those responsible with administering the law. Through the efforts of its dedicated founders and with the support of the shooting sports community, Comm2A will work to protect all law abiding citizens from state and local laws, regulations, customs and practices that infringe upon the fundamental right to keep and bear firearms.

Alan Gottlieb of the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) said he "welcomes the opportunity to work with and support Commonwealth Second Amendment in future litigation and rights education activities in New England." He added "We need organizations like Comm2A in every state."

Board member Derek Hoskins, former US Marine Corps Sergeant and proprietor of Northeastshooters.com is "excited to take on this new challenge in the continued spirit of preserving the Second Amendment rights for local firearms owners in MA and beyond. Over the last 5 years Northeastshooters.com has been host to an ever growing and vibrant community of firearms owners engaged in hobby, competition, hunting and all variety of shooting sports activities. Through this community, efforts such as Comm2A have been made possible."

Over the last 9 months, the founders of Commonwealth Second Amendment have worked diligently to create an organization that has one purpose, to engage in litigation and educational activities protecting the rights and liberties of firearms owners. Comm2A will not be a lobbying organization nor will it engage with the legislature in any way.

In the coming months and years, Commonwealth Second Amendment will be hosting rights conferences to disseminate legal information to all concerned parties interested in standing up for Second Amendment rights as well as engaging in litigation ensuring that firearms owners are free to safely and legally engage their rights under the Second Amendment free from government discrimination and infringement.

* Comm2A is currently seeking a determination of 501(c)(3) non-profit status with the IRS. Donations made prior to a determination of non-profit status may not be tax deductible. However, once 501(c)(3) status has been granted all contributors and supporters will receive acknowledgment of their support.

Our website can be found at http://www.comm2a.org/.

This effort is being led by NES'rs "Knuckle Dragger" (Brent Carlton), "Terraformer" (Thomas Bolioli) and Rob Boudrie. Derek is a board member as is NES'r Kimmie1911 (Donna Major). "hicksonj" (Joe Hickson) is providing valuable legal support for the organization.

Last edited:
Stay tuned. We are in the process of putting together some FAQs and in the coming days/months will have opportunities for folks to help out. Without doubt, spreading the word at your local club, favorite gun shop and to friends/family would be most welcome.

Awesome, signed up on the contact link. I would love to help out when I am on dry land.

Last edited:
I signed up for email alerts and I will donate next month. Maybe we can turn Mass around.

I'm also glad to see you guys reaching out to SAF. [smile]

Since we are all on the stupid cliches..

Together we can!!

I'm assuming this is the product of the "NES Foundation" talk a while back? Good to see this getting off the ground. Can't wait to see this in action.

Signed up and sent a modest donation. I'd like to send more but I'm retired and gotta be careful how the dough goes out.

This is outstanding!

I just hope that this org doesn't end up fractionating gun owner support in MA like what has happened in NH (multiple pro-gun groups that don't seem to work together).

I'm assuming this is the product of the "NES Foundation" talk a while back? Good to see this getting off the ground. Can't wait to see this in action.

NES is NES and Comm2A is Comm2A. They are separate orgs and have separate governances, etc. That said, this effort is about as old as that and we worked with Derek early on in the development of Comm2A. He is also very generous to allow us a sub forum and to help us get the word out. NES, like many of the other firearms forums on the internet, is invaluable to continuing the shooting sports tradition and I believe Derek has been and continues to be an outspoken leader in that cause.

I just hope that this org doesn't end up fractionating gun owner support in MA like what has happened in NH (multiple pro-gun groups that don't seem to work together).

There is no need for that to happen. Comm2a has a different mission from existing orgs in MA, and out mission statement sums our focus up nicely:

Over the last 9 months, the founders of Commonwealth Second Amendment have worked diligently to create an organization that has one purpose, to engage in litigation and educational activities protecting the rights and liberties of firearms owners. Comm2A will not be a lobbying organization nor will it engage with the legislature in any way.

This is good news!

On your website under donations, please consider using g(un)pal as an option after you get everything set up.

This is good news!

On your website under donations, please consider using g(un)pal as an option after you get everything set up.

We are working to add GPal as a donation option. However, it will probably be sometime before we're able to make this active.

I hope that there will be two-way communication with GOAL - GOAL focusing on the legislation end and Comm2A focusing on the litigation end. I'd think that there would be benefits from both groups working together.

Just to make my comments clearer, if needed, I hope the Comm2A is wildly successful - my thinking was that with two pro-gun groups, each with a different mission, working together could make them both more effective. Massachusetts certainly needs both of them!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone involved. As we can see, there will be both admonition and advice from people who didn't start a group dedicated to protecting gun rights in Massachusetts. That's just part of being visible, I suppose.

Given that the 501(c)3 status is moving along I will donate once it is in place. I hate to miss the chance of using government to leverage my contribution. [wink]

I hope that there will be two-way communication with GOAL - GOAL focusing on the legislation end and Comm2A focusing on the litigation end. I'd think that there would be benefits from both groups working together.

I fully agree.

One curious question about "education" as GOAL (actually the GOAL Foundation, a separate corp) does a real fine job in that area . . . will they work together, Comm2A focus on other areas of education that GOAL doesn't address, or ?

Thanks to everyone involved. As we can see, there will be both admonition and advice from people who didn't start a group dedicated to protecting gun rights in Massachusetts. That's just part of being visible, I suppose.

My comments were hopeful and cautionary, not criticism. I would not want to see the animosity occur in MA that exists between the three state orgs in NH. [Disclaimer: I am a Charter member of one of those NH orgs and good friends with the founder who was a BOD member of one of the other NH orgs before the changes in by-laws led ot a split.]

I fully agree.

One curious question about "education" as GOAL (actually the GOAL Foundation, a separate corp) does a real fine job in that area . . . will they work together, Comm2A focus on other areas of education that GOAL doesn't address, or ?

Legal and litigation focused education. Not likely to overlap much. We don't plan on doing LTC courses, etc if that is what you were thinking.

Back
Top Bottom