• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another noise complaint news item. Skeet shooting.

Maxrobot

NES Member
“I have flashbacks of being in a firefight when I hear the gunshots,” one man said. “Every time I hear the guns, I go back to the Cold War,” ‘I live four miles away from the Club, and I can hear the shooting as clear as a bell,’”
The lawsuit is asking for an end to the skeet shooting program and for years of damages for the families affected by the noise.

In my last town meeting the residents of my town complaining about gas leaf blowers surprisingly all had the same complaints. They somehow didn’t have an argument for when the data showed that the large electric blowers weren’t as silent as they thought.

I respect a veteran, especially one who has seen combat and has ptsd. I don’t understand the one guy‘s comment that he had flashbacks to the “Cold War?” Did the dipsh*t “journalist” get that quote wrong?

“I have flashbacks of being in a firefight when I hear the gunshots,” one man said. “Every time I hear the guns, I go back to the Cold War,” ‘I live four miles away from the Club, and I can hear the shooting as clear as a bell,’”
The lawsuit is asking for an end to the skeet shooting program and for years of damages for the families affected by the noise.

I had to double check to make sure this wasn’t a satire page.

Man, what happened to our country?

It's all BS every year the same loonies in town complain in July about the fireworks and how veterans are scared and hide under their beds, dogs are scared and run away. NOT once has a veteran actually complained or even a dog, it's always the lonely, hateful, loonies trying to speak for "evrybody". I'm actually really sick of it

It's all BS every year the same loonies in town complain in July about the fireworks and how veterans are scared and hide under their beds, dogs are scared and run away. NOT once has a veteran actually complained or even a dog, it's always the lonely, hateful, loonies trying to speak for "evrybody". I'm actually really sick of it
My dogs get scared - the older one who was badly abused get sedation.
We deal with it.

Even if they stop it and get everything they want, they still live in ohio
Curiously enough, I've been to Willoughby several times and its one of the nice, non-meth, non-hood, non-trash-infested parts along the Lake. That's where all the high rollers lived and would commute to their hellscape factories. There's also some college around there: beautiful scenery and friendly attitudes. But yeah, most of Ohio is like Cleveland with smaller buildings or vacant factories.

I wonder what these people do when the trash truck comes down the street. Now that's noise
Ever hang around a ledge job with a hydraulic hammer making little rocks out of big ones?
How about a V8 1200 HP twin turbo stump processor?

If the weather was just right I could hear Billerica SC shooting from many miles away. Acton and Concord were under 4 miles as the bird flys and it was common.

Abolish the NFA and make suppressors an accessory you can buy off the shelf.
That solves one half of the problem by eliminating muzzle blast. Unfortunately, you would still have the supersonic "crack" of the shot if the velocity of the projectile exceeds 1,100 fps at sea level. Even low-brass shotshells loaded with #8 shot can achieve those velocities.

I have flash backs to the cold war

So you have flashbacks to silence?

That solves one half of the problem by eliminating muzzle blast. Unfortunately, you would still have the supersonic "crack" of the shot if the velocity of the projectile exceeds 1,100 fps at sea level. Even low-brass shotshells loaded with #8 shot can achieve those velocities.
Not really

8 shot is to light to sustain it for long enough to break it

Yep, never happens. Like when my neighbors shot off fireworks near my house, and it took me about a half an hour to get out of fight or flight response, clutching to one of my firearms. And my complaint was met with "What? It's just fireworks. Stop being so triggered."

Obviously, I'm a hateful loony.

I love to hear distant gunfire of any and all kinds. It makes me very happy to hear distance shots. Be it 12 gauge shotguns shooting clays, or a good highpower rifle match taking place, or even a subtle 22 rimfire of some one plinking tin cans. As I know that at the source of this sound, there is some one enjoying themselves in their target shooting pursuits, as I too enjoy my target shooting.
So, How do my rights to be happy at hearing gun shots, compare to the rights of some who are troubled by these sounds. I have a right to hear these sounds, and be happy in hearing them, therefore , no one should be taking away my rights to be happy about these sounds, by trying to stop the sounds. My rights matter too.

Four miles? Clear as a bell? At 4 miles can't be very deafening.
I live a mile (generous estimate, it may be less) a popular skeet/trap club. Can I tell people are shooting? sure. But my lawnmower is louder even at this distance.
They're very respectful of the hours they've agreed to. Sunday AM seems to be the busiest time (like now). They're across the street from a middle school too. My mother-in-law got a case of the vapors when she heard that....I had to tell her "Gun club was there first....The town decided to build the school in the 70's, and they choose the location". I had to reiterate..."These are NOT the people you have to worry about".

yeah.. 4 miles.. in this area? I call bullshit.. Maybe out west, where the background noise level is really quiet, and you might hear a shot from an adjacent mountain with nothing in between, but not in the relatively flat midwest, this close to civilization.
1699205036369.png
I'd expect this area to be fairly similar to the New England suburbs. I'm 1.5 miles from Angle tree.. I hear nothing.. EVER..

50% better than 0%

I guess there would have been a lot of pant shitting if they had heard my 113”
S&S with a super trap exhaust @ by full throttle

I know you haven’t a clue what I am reffing to [popcorn]

yeah.. 4 miles.. in this area? I call bullshit.. Maybe out west, where the background noise level is really quiet, and you might hear a shot from an adjacent mountain with nothing in between, but not in the relatively flat midwest, this close to civilization.
Those opposed to firearms ownership by the little people imagine any detectible amount of noise from a range to be loud and unbearable. Actual measurements done near shooting ranges have shown that the sound a a gunshot from a range is frequently no louder than the slamming of a car door by a next door neighbor - but the knowledge that then noise comes from a gun actually makes it seem louder to the listener.

Properly calibrated sound meters don't lie or imagine. People do.

Gun Range Noise

Those opposed to firearms ownership by the little people imagine any detectible amount of noise from a range to be loud and unbearable. Actual measurements done near shooting ranges have shown that the sound a a gunshot from a range is frequently no louder than the slamming of a car door by a next door neighbor - but the knowledge that then noise comes from a gun actually makes it seem louder to the listener.

Gun Range Noise
That I believe completely. I can't hear the gun shots over the sound of my neighbor's electric weed whacker right now and I'm probably about a mile (or less) from gunshots.

I wonder what these people do when the trash truck comes down the street. Now that's noise
I had a loon liberal in Needham during a hot summer day, who lived at the top of a hill, tell me one day that the four cylinder turbo diesel box truck with a diesel refrigerator unit I was driving was an airplane about to crash into his house! [rofl] He was the definition of a sheep!

Gun Range Noise
My air rifle makes a fairly good "pop" when loaded with polymer or copper .177 pellets that go supersonic. Maybe the pussies will complain about that as well?

Back
Top Bottom