Anyone running a FN SCAR 20s ?

Been looking for a nice semi auto 308. Was thinking AR type platform but i keep seeing positive stuff about the SCAR 20s. Ugly as frig, but seems to be a good shooter, side charging handle, piston gas system. A little steep at $4k, but could get it in my hands in a week or 2. However, the fact that these come into inventory is almost a red flag in this market. Do they suck? Anybody have one? Comments feedback?

The primary advantage of a SCAR is to be able to use a suppressor more effectively than a DI or more old school 7.62 NATO rifle.

InRange TV did a series on 7.62 NATO battle rifles and the SCAR averaged being one second faster on the clock than the FAL (both were faster than the G3 and M14 clones). Is it worth the premium over FAL clones to get a slightly faster to use gun? That's for you to decide.

If you can, a Desert Tech MDR would probably be better. If you're not going to use a suppressor, consider saving your cash and instead looking at at a FAL or G3 clones. Or, just go with an AR-pattern 7.62 NATO.

Been looking for a nice semi auto 308. Was thinking AR type platform but i keep seeing positive stuff about the SCAR 20s. Ugly as frig, but seems to be a good shooter, side charging handle, piston gas system. A little steep at $4k, but could get it in my hands in a week or 2. However, the fact that these come into inventory is almost a red flag in this market. Do they suck? Anybody have one? Comments feedback?

If I had to guess they are in inventory because they are ultra expensive.

Does the cost justify itself over a modern FAL? That's a tough one.

If I had to guess they are in inventory because they are ultra expensive.

Does the cost justify itself over a modern FAL? That's a tough one.

A fully tricked-out, modernized DSA or Arizona Response Systems FAL clone is going to be between $1500-3000. OP said a SCAR for him is $4000.

That price difference is basically the cost of a very nice LPVO or an Aimpoint + extra cash left over.

My best friend has a new scar20s with a Nightforce scope on it. Its a great gun, great shooter, and I dont think its ugly in the least. Now is it worth $4K as mentioned above? That is subjective. Depends though if you want the 20" barrel to shoot at a slightly farther distance? For me I went with a socom 16 cqb for my semi-auto 308. Takes preban m1a 20 rounders, great shooter, 16" barrel, and I love it. Plus was under $2K.

A fully tricked-out, modernized DSA or Arizona Response Systems FAL clone is going to be between $1500-3000. OP said a SCAR for him is $4000.

That price difference is basically the cost of a very nice LPVO or an Aimpoint + extra cash left over.

For sure. SCAR's are way overpriced.

A super nice FAL and just as nice optic would probably still be well under just a SCAR with no glass.

900 pounds lol

Most people are far better served by an AR10/SR25 clone.

I have a SCAR-H, love it, and would still recommend any of the above alternatives to the SCAR20. Except the M1A, which is the only gun I never regretted selling.

Yeah, you guys are talking me out of it.
Perfect world, PWS MK 218, at like $1750, and a REPR Mk II in 2.5 creed. at about 4k.
I cant find crap right now, not even at full retail that would be above the prices i just called out.

IMO DI gas AR-10/SR25 variant. Build up a lower nice (think, like Aero M5E1 etc) then if you want you can adorn it with more than one upper. Want something that you can hump around? Short barrel lightweight buildout. Want something to stretch? Long barrel upper with bigger optics, etc. Want to change caliber to 6.5 vs 308? done. Mags are everywhere (because magpul) reliable, and not horribly expensive. You can do all of those things easily with an AR10/SR25 clone.

IMO DI gas AR-10/SR25 variant. Build up a lower nice (think, like Aero M5E1 etc) then if you want you can adorn it with more than one upper. Want something that you can hump around? Short barrel lightweight buildout. Want something to stretch? Long barrel upper with bigger optics, etc. Want to change caliber to 6.5 vs 308? done. Mags are everywhere (because magpul) reliable, and not horribly expensive. You can do all of those things easily with an AR10/SR25 clone.
This is literally why I'll probably go that route in the next couple years, even though the FAL is weirdly more interesting to me. From a practicality perspective, the Stoner design just checks the boxes

[/QUOTE]
This is literally why I'll probably go that route in the next couple years, even though the FAL is weirdly more interesting to me. From a practicality perspective, the Stoner design just checks the boxes

IMHO if you want a FAL though, you just HAVE TO buy a FAL because its something you want to scratch that itch. Otherwise you'll never be satisfied. It's not practical, at all. It's an old, clunky gun, but it is iconic and fun to shoot. If you consider a FAL in that container, its a great gun. It's like buying an AK or something. In a scope of all choices, a dumb buy, but if thats what your itch is, nothing else is going to do it.

IMHO if you want a FAL though, you just HAVE TO buy a FAL because its something you want to scratch that itch. Otherwise you'll never be satisfied. It's not practical, at all. It's an old, clunky gun, but it is iconic and fun to shoot. If you consider a FAL in that container, its a great gun. It's like buying an AK or something. In a scope of all choices, a dumb buy, but if thats what your itch is, nothing else is going to do it.
That's exactly it. Which is why I'll probably buy one "someday" but it's not a rush.

For now, I'm trying to fight my natural inclination to collect things and build my ownership around my uses.

FALs have a few practical purposes but are generally outclassed these days by modern AR-10s/SR-25s:

*Heavy Metal 3-gun or 2-gun, which no one actually shoots anymore

*A give-no-f*cks woods gun

*Arguably, in the same role as a SCAR, but I want to do more first hand testing with FALs and cans before making a definitive statement

They're extremely fun. But they were popular when kits and surplus 7.62 NATO was cheap. These days, anything in 7.62 NATO except G3 clones like the PTRs or C308s is expensive, and factory ammo is ridiculously expensive going back to last March. And some 7.62 NATO guns kill brass, like G3 clones, handicapping handloading.

Last edited by a moderator:

Its funny how the mind works that way. You get that itch or thing that just sticks in your mind and not matter how dumb or illogical it can be its still there until you satisfy it. When i first started buying hand guns, i wanted a 9mm 229 bad, at 15 it was the first hand gun i shot, i was dead nuts on with it and i really enjoyed it. Because of $$$, I settled with an M&P 9 and regretted the "skin flit" move for years after.
The reason i wont just build is it screws with that little OCD in my head that the top don't match the bottom. Its like a chevy motor in a ford, or a red head with a blonde carpet. It screws with me. That said the Aero stuff does look nice. If i came across a M5E1 lower i would snag it and put an aero upper on it some day. But it wont satisfy that itch i have had for a LWRCI. I was rather confident the trumpet would get reelected, so i didn't jump on one last year like i should have.

I have a SCAR 17, a POF-USA 308 (piston SR25/AR10) and an M1A SOCOM 2. The SCAR is the lightest shooting of all three. The SCAR and the POF have comparable accuracy. My only complaints about the SCAR are 1. Proprietary mags limited to 10 rounds 2. Reciprocating charging handle. I addressed the first complaint by getting an aluminum lower that takes SR25/PMAGs and managed to find six preban KAC 20 rounders. It’s one of my favorite rifles and barely has more recoil than a 5.56 or 300 BLK AR. It’s also relatively light unless you load it up with a heavy optic, fore end and accessories, etc. I just put a Trijicon Accupoint 6x LVPO on it. Awesome rifle. If the shop has a SCAR 20, look on gunbroker for SCARs and see if that shop is OK doing FFL transfers. Opens up your price options significantly.

Why no love for M1A?
Primarily for me, they’re not free floated and take maintenance to keep them accurate because of the bedding. Their manual of arms isn’t great either, and they don’t have good optic mounting options.

Modern 308 offerings are objectively better. But, if you want an M1A, I doubt much will change your mind. The M1A evokes an emotional response in a lot of people for some reason, despite the M14 being such a short lived service rifle.

Damn you!
Got a normal priced aero complete lower with prs stock. walked in to pick it up and saw a silencershop kiosk, begging for me to order a can. BTW, the upper parts are harder to get than the lower was.

WXDXdSh.jpg

SR25 > SCAR

Hey,

I was looking around for a good mount but decided to add my 10 cents. I am new here and actually this is a first message on this forum, but decided to show off a little.

I got a new Scar 20s in black last week here in MA. 3999$. I honestly think this is almost for free)

Today, i found the sweetest deal possible. Steiner T5xi3-15x50mm Riflescope SCR reticle at 1399$ only, while everywhere else it is priced at $2000+

First of all, quality sucks in my opinion, since mine arrived with wobbling rubber stock pad, just sent an email for replacement. And mine had a small dent on the metal part on the bottom of the stock - seems that it came like this from the factory.

Overall, I would prefer Belgium build, but 20s are built in the US only.

I haven't shot mine yet, just waiting for the scope to arrive. In MA there are not that many options of similar rifles not taking into account pre-ban rifles. The question now seems obvious, where to try it for 600 yards + here in MA.

Last edited:
Please tell us they didn't make you pay for it with Venmo or something.
Is not this how you supposed to pay?)

Just kidding, of course i paid with credit, crazy right? On Steiner's website this store is an official online dealer. I was also very concerned with the deal since it is almost 1000$ less than MSRP. I will get the Scope in a few days and hopefully there is no brick in the box) Will post an update. The store seems legit, called them, even asked why that cheap - said that they work a lot with the military and sometimes have a huge surplus. Factory sealed, brand new, never returned. They also have Tremor 3 M series in 3-15, in black for $2399. Wanted to get this one, but they are discontinued and will possibly be available on dvor.com soon + do not like Tremor 3. The deal on T5 was also better value.

Now looking for scope mount, probably will be Spuhr 4002 but not sure yet which elevation works best for me. No deals on those( unfortunately

Is not this how you supposed to pay?)

Just kidding, of course i paid with credit, crazy right? On Steiner's website this store is an official online dealer. I was also very concerned with the deal since it is almost 1000$ less than MSRP. I will get the Scope in a few days and hopefully there is no brick in the box) Will post an update. The store seems legit, called them, even asked why that cheap - said that they work a lot with the military and sometimes have a huge surplus. ...
Good, good.

I wouldn't even have thought to ask if some NESer hadn't gotten scrod this year
from a "too good to be true" payment scam. Nothing personal.

I love mine

Back
Top Bottom